iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy with a Woodland HM126 Sawmill

Started by Billbob, November 25, 2013, 01:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

G'day Gents!

I've been lurking on the forum for some time (getting great advice!) and thought it was time to show my face, so to speak!  I've been wanting a sawmill for a few years now and finally bought a Woodland HM 126 in September.  And believe it or not I haven't even sawed a log yet!  Lots to do here preparing for winter and tending to 6 horses.  My wife and I have a 50 acre horse farm (40 acres wooded).  I've been clearing a mill site in the woods and hope to have the mill set up by the end of the week and get a couple of logs sawn before the heavy snow sets in.  I'm looking forward to getting your ideas and advice as I encounter problems so please bear with me because I suspect I'll be asking a lot of questions.  Now it's time for me and the dogs to drop a few more trees before dark!  I'll post some pictures later.

Cheers from New Brunswick!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Magicman

Hello Billbob. congrats on the sawmill, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Billbob,welcome to the forum. How many blades you got? They don't last all that long. And listen to that new blade real close. Than you can tell when it is getting dull. What's all the lumber going to be used for? Set up a good support base for it.Spend the time and money too. It will help out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Bill Gaiche

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den-Den

Welcome from another new guy!  This is a great place to learn.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Andy White

Billbob,    You will have a great time with that mill. Get it set up good and solid, and level, and load em up and make some dust. I have had mine a year this month, and I love it.  Welcome to the Forum., the place to ask and learn!!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Billbob

Thanks for the welcome!  I have lots to do that is going to require a fair amount of lumber - renovations to our 140 year old farm house, a garage, machine shed, hay shed and can't forget a mill shed......that's just for starters.  The mill is a 2012 HM126 with about 60 hours on it.  It came with 10 blades, a tooth setter, a Dremel tool for sharpening the teeth, two peevies, a cant hook and a homemade trailer that's licensed and inspected.  Even spare bearings for the trailer hubs!  The mill has a bed extension to mill 13 1/2ft logs.  (I'm going make another 3 foot extension)  Not bad for $4200cdn. The fella I bought it from even took the time to show me how to sharpen and set the teeth. The trailer axle comes off with the pull of two hitch pins.  I'm going to set the mill bed on 6x6 tamarack sills.  I've attached a couple of photos in my gallery.  My sister made a waterproof cover for the mill.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

HaroldSiefke

Welcome to the forum. I to have one of these mills. I have modified it a bit but it sure is a good starter mill for the price. Good luck and happy sawing. You may want to look into a full profile grinder. Harold... 
Harold

JSwigga

Welcome to the forum!  Post some pictures of the first log you get into! 8)
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Billbob

Harold, a profile grinder is probably more than I can afford right now so I'll have to stick with the elbow grease.  Is there a make that you would recommend?
JSwigga - I'll definitely post those pics when I start!

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with frozen logs but have heard they can saw differently especially if they are half frozen. ;) 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Billbob

The problem with frozen logs is that it's hard to drive a pulp hook into them! :laugh:

arnold113

DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Is that one of those look a like NH? 72hp,WOW. What do you use that for? Nice tractor.Nice cab. And 2 Log Dogs.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Nice looking set up!   The cover reminds me of a grill cover.  She did a great job and it looks easier than tarps!

Billbob

Yep, she is quite the seamstress too.  She has left over material so she is going to make matching covers for the log winch and wood splitter.
The LS is a South Korean make.  The reason that it looks like a NH is because they also make NH, Fiat, and McCormick I believe.  A few others that I can't remember.  It has an Iveco engine.  The shop mechanic told me that it's actually the 90hp engine they put in the larger tractors.  They just turned down the pump so it only puts out 72hp. I use it to plow snow from my 800 foot driveway and yard, moving manure, round hay bales, moving gravel, dirt, hauling firewood, etc., and now logs!  I have a set of log forks I made for it last winter. This winter's project is to make a hydraulic clam for the forks.
The 'log dogs' are actually useless in the woods.  The Wolfhound takes off when I start up the chainsaw and all the Border Collie wants to do is chase the brush that I move.  They are rather entertaining though! :D

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Sixacresand

Welcome, BillBob.  Congrats on your new mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Billbob

Thanks Deese and Sixacresand.  I hope to be making sawdust soon!

HaroldSiefke

Well I have a old drag type woodmizer that I bought off the saw mill exchange. I like it cause it is water cooled and it does a nice job. But the guys on here say that the Cook's sharpener is good to. They sell many cams for both or these sharpeners. Good luck on the milling . What type setter you get with your mill if its only a single tooth setter there is post on here to reconvert it to a dual tooth setter. Harold.....
Harold

Billbob

It's an old timer, Harold.  Just a hand crimper.  Here's a photo.

HaroldSiefke

Well if it works that's all that matters:)   I hand to save for all my milling equipment. I would love to see a picture of your wood splitter. I have a wood splitter to I use it for hydraulics on my mill for the pinney woods turner that I built. Got the plans off the forum here. There are some real witty guys on here...hope to see some pictures of you sawing soon. Harold 
Harold

Thank You Sponsors!