iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dialing in LT40

Started by rmack, November 24, 2013, 08:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

I have been very frustrated with my new lt40 for some time, I finally got around to the hands on adjustments I have been hesitant to tackle.

I put on new band wheel belts, modified the guard on the drive wheel side to make it easier to swap belts out without removing band wheel. adjusted the guide rollers, trial and error method to get it just right.

It's not all sorted out yet, but is cutting very nice, very accurate lumber now. the first 6-12 inches of the cut are dead flat, even when I hit big dry douglas fir harder than I should from the butt end. there are still some waves, but whereas they were up to 1/2" before, they are closer to 1/32 than 1/16 now, and that's at least double the previous feed rate.  8)   Is this the best I should expect, or is there something else I need to look for?

another thing, cuts are now being made with a lot less blade tension than I was using before.

the front and rear backstops were both leaning back so I got them adjusted.

I cut about 250 bdft and swapped in a new blade, oddly enough it seems to ride in a different place on the wheels, giving me less clearance between the blade and the guide wheel shoulder than the first blade did... not sure what causes this.

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You were removing your band wheel to swap belts?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rmack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 24, 2013, 08:19:13 PM

no, I just didn't change the belt because I couldn't get it off without taking off the bandwheel because the guard was bent.  :D
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

drobertson

Head scratcher for me, I am thinking they are  little differences from machine to machine?  I hate to hear you have been battling, I have had some issues with electronics in times past.  All that have been corrected, but not on the band tracking or mechanical at all.   This said, I can relate to frustrations, battle through, all mills have their own set of issues, lots that many do not discuss.   Yours I am out of the loop, sorry,  and hang in,  it is fixable, and as you stated, the quality is there for the taking,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rmack on November 24, 2013, 08:21:23 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 24, 2013, 08:19:13 PM

no, I just didn't change the belt because I couldn't get it off without taking off the bandwheel because the guard was bent.  :D

Gotcha!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

When i first got my mill it had tracking issues.... every band tracked different then the last, changing the bearings on the pivot pin on the idler wheel helped quite abit but what solvled the problem was replacing the main spindle on the drive side and rebuilding and reinforcing the hole that the main spindle had wallered out.
have not had any tracking issues since.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

barbender

Good for you Bob, I'm glad you finally went after it ;) On the tracking issue, mine rarely shifts unless something else is wrong (or I've grabbed that handle when detensioning the blade ::)). I had an idler side wheel bearing go out, that made my tracking jump all over. Look for something that could be moving or shifting, also a different blade will sometimes track different, like going to a.055 from an .045.
Too many irons in the fire

5quarter

Backwoods sawyer is probably right on the money. don't own an LT40, but if your having a tracking issue, it'll likely be somewhere between the shaft, bearings and band belts. also, a little more set in your teeth will often help keep your blades cutting straight in Doug Fir. Glad to hear you're getting the saw tuned in and up to speed.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on November 24, 2013, 10:27:21 PM
When i first got my mill it had tracking issues.... every band tracked different then the last, changing the bearings on the pivot pin on the idler wheel helped quite abit but what solvled the problem was replacing the main spindle on the drive side and rebuilding and reinforcing the hole that the main spindle had wallered out.
have not had any tracking issues since.

hm that's interesting to note, mine does track a little different when band is changed but not enough ive been concerned as yet.
How many hours before you had that issue on the machine?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

jcbrotz

I had my non driven bandwheel bearing go bad twice and can say it will make your band track funny even before you here the noise of a bad bearing. Its a double race bearing so there is not much play. I have to assume you checked the guide roller bearings when you had them off for your alignment , but if not one of them may be the culprit also.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

ladylake

I've found some blades that have been sharpened a lot with track a little ahead of new blades and different brand blades might track a little different.  I adjust if they don't track right, takes about 1 minute on my B20.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

T Welsh

rmack, If your cuts are at 1/32 to 1/16 you are on the money! Remember this is rough cut lumber and depending on what specie or how and where you have the mill set up will effect the dimensions of the cut through out the length of the log being sawn. The first thing I would do is to go through the sawmill alignment section of your manual and double check each section and verify that it is correct, this will help you understand the mill,its functions and the correct tolerance of each component,many things can effect the performance of these mills,and when things get off track its time to investigate why. I realign my mill each year regardless of weather it needs it or not,by doing this I assure that the mill is in proper working order. Just because the mill is new do not assume that something has not moved from the correct setting.Take some time and read all about the mill,you will better understand the machine if you are familiar with the technical details. Good Luck. Tim     

rmack

was feeling like a genius yesterday, feeling kind of dumb now... I didn't think to check the bearings on either band wheel because they only have 73 hours on them. I did notice the fluid was topped right up on the drive side.

I did weld bandsaw blades together back in the 80's, seem to remember it was a bit of an art to getting them together just right... maybe that has something to do with it?

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Magicman

Normally when a blade breaks, there is metal fatigue throughout the entire blade, and it will soon break somewhere else.  Sometimes we just have to let the dead die.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rmack

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2013, 08:46:06 AM
Normally when a blade breaks, there is metal fatigue throughout the entire blade, and it will soon break somewhere else.  Sometimes we just have to let the dead die.   :-\

not quite sure what you are talking about  ???

I'm assuming that every blade should track in the same place, if this is an erroneous assumption and the fact is that every blade will track a bit differently, then my problem is solved and I have one less thing to worry about.  ;D

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Magicman

Quote from: rmack on November 25, 2013, 09:20:28 AMnot quite sure what you are talking about  ???
Just a general statement because sometimes sawyers will try to prolong the inevitable by considering welding broken blades back together.  It won't work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rmack

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2013, 09:37:06 AM
Quote from: rmack on November 25, 2013, 09:20:28 AMnot quite sure what you are talking about  ???
Just a general statement because sometimes sawyers will try to prolong the inevitable by considering welding broken blades back together.  It won't work.

I was thinking that there could be some slight misalignment at the weld joint that could make blades track differently.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Magicman

I have never seen any noticeable difference in tracking with WM blades.  As a side note; I always use WM B57 belts which are flat instead of the auto parts belts which may be crowned.

rmack

I just put on new belts from the woodmizer dealer on vancouver island, there are no woodmizer markings on them, the only thing I noticed was all 4 were matched. CE markings

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Magicman

Getting them from WM assures you of having the correct belts.  That is one variable that you can forget. smiley_thumbsup

drobertson

I am close to hesitating on posting again, but have to ask, how can a newer mill be tracking so off?  Just asking, I have had a few close calls as to what might be called ramming, but never an issue with tracking since 05' on my 40.  I suppose it could happen, and glad it has not for me,  good band blades, good wheel belts, and proper alignment pretty much insures trouble free sawing,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Two blades tracking a bit different should not be a sawmill tracking problem.  I would just put a couple more different blades on and see where they go.

backwoods sawyer

my mill had almost 5,000 hrs on it when i got it, the idler arm pivot bearings are small bearings and they been bad for sometime when the problem was tracked down and I replaced them, i was talking with a woodmizer rep on the phone and he had told me to increase the band tention (air bag style) from 60 up to 80 with the saw running to see if that changed the tracking, when i got to 70 the saw jumper off.
hope that helps
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

A well-used blade will sometimes track a little differently from when it was new. When I'm checking or adjusting my blade tracking, I always use a brand new blade, straight out of the box.

Last month I had a tiny bit of Douglas-Fir bark get wedged between the bottom of the blade guide and the blade on the drive side. D-Fir bark is a bit like cork ( soft and slightly porous). It's got a high coefficient of friction and doesn't draw the heat off. So my blade got really hot. That blade ended up tracking about 3/16" further in front of the bandwheel :o.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rmack

I ran the mill for about 15-20 minutes yesterday, just needed a few small pieces for a shelving project, anyway I just happened to check the clearance today and it is back to where it should be... same blade.

I guess the blade does run a bit different with some use. I will be keeping an eye on this in the future.  :)

edit; I wonder if it may have something to do with the 1 1/2 x .050 blades going around the smaller diameter bandwheels? I may go back to the 1 1/4 x .045 blades and see what happens, I have a lot more of those ready to use.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!