iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

30" hookaroon about right?

Started by ksks, November 24, 2013, 04:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksks

Looking to get one for use with firewood and dragging small wood.

I'm 5'9" tall.  Is 30" length about right?

http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/30inch-Hookaroon

Thanks.
Striving to be average!

turnkey

I lost my 30" log-rite off the truck a couple months ago.  Loved that thing!  Ordered another one and they shipped the 36" one.  Doesn't have the same "feel" or balance but it is better when it comes to hooking rounds off the truck bed.

Harry K

Yatt

That's the same one I have, I love it. :)
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

Stinny

I bought a 30" about 2 months ago. I like it a lot. Like a lot of guys on this forum, my ole back is toast. Still learning how and where this tool can help the most.
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

ReggieT

Quote from: Stinny on November 24, 2013, 08:00:41 PM
I bought a 30" about 2 months ago. I like it a lot. Like a lot of guys on this forum, my ole back is toast. Still learning how and where this tool can help the most.
Hey will it do basically the same thing as Cant Hook or a Peavey?
I'm 6'3 with some minor back problems...
Mostly turning big logs to complete my cuts..

thecfarm

Reggie,get on Logrite website,on the left or ksks,link. A hookaroon is not made for turning logs. More like an extension of the arm to reach something with a point on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ksks

Looks like that's what I need.  We'll see what Santa says!

Thanks guys.
Striving to be average!

ReggieT

Quote from: thecfarm on November 24, 2013, 11:07:39 PM
Reggie,get on Logrite website,on the left or ksks,link. A hookaroon is not made for turning logs. More like an extension of the arm to reach something with a point on it.
You are correct sir!
Thanks...I'm Cant Hook Bound now... 8)

turnkey

Quote from: thecfarm on November 24, 2013, 11:07:39 PM

No, but it will move rounds without bending over, drag stuff out of the truck, pick up that maul handle that fell over, etc., etc., etc.  Once you have one your days of bending over go away almost totally.  I didn't buy one for near on 30 years due to what I considered to be an inflated cost for a "nail in a stick".  Kicked myself a for that a few minutes after using it for the first time.

Bottom line:  If you don't have a hookeroon, you are handicapped. 

Harry K

ReggieT

stumper

I tried one like this and did not like it.  Maybe it is because I moved so very many tons with a wooden handled one, but it just does not feel right in the hand. 

I suggest trying a freinds in both wooden and aluminum handled version. 

I have the same concerns with peaveys.  The wooden fits better.  That said, because of weathering I have replaced the peavy I cary in my truck with an aluminum one, as it rides more then it works.  If I am going to use one a lot, I break out the wooden one.

Cedar Savage

I use a axe-a-roon it has a tip on the pick that digs in the harder you pull.
The hook a roon with strait pick, just sets you up for a fall on your azz, when it pulls out of the log.
Here's a pick a roon on fleabay that has the L shaped pick tip. Mine has a axe on the back for chopping small branches & knots. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190979732825&item=190979732825&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_410wt_1141
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

turnkey

Quote from: Cedar Savage on November 26, 2013, 12:20:20 AM
I use a axe-a-roon it has a tip on the pick that digs in the harder you pull.
The hook a roon with strait pick, just sets you up for a fall on your azz, when it pulls out of the log.
Here's a pick a roon on fleabay that has the L shaped pick tip. Mine has a axe on the back for chopping small branches & knots. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190979732825&item=190979732825&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_410wt_1141

The logrite has the tip bent back toward the operator.  You are correct, the tool has to have that or it's effectiveness is cut way down.

Harry K

Stinny

I agree with the angled tip for sure. It stays put when you want to pick up a split piece of firewood, and let's you get it all the way up to waist height without bending at all... or, losing the piece midway up. The light weight LogRite handle is nice too for the same type lift. Sticking and pulling pieces toward you, at waist height on a raised work surface, is effortless because of that angled tip too. Slick. 
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

stumper

I have found that I need to customize my tip when I buy a new one.  I normally blunt the end a bit by simply pounding it onto an anvil like surface.  I also file a bit about 3/16 back from the tip to create a little hook.  It need to stick easy, hold well but still release with a wrist flick.

Maybe if I modified the aluminum handle with a proper end swell it would feel better.

Cedar Savage

Yea...when the tip is shaped right you can pick up a piece of firewood with out bending over.
Its definitly a back saver, I carry mine almost all the time, for rolling logs, pulling lumber off the mill, loading the OWB, also works as a cane too, when ya flip it over.
Here's a pic of the pick tip......

"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Gunny 1992

I'm going to put this question up for the more experienced users of the hookeroon.  What is the major function for this tool?  Both my trucks have dumps, one full size dump truck and the other a slip dump.  If I need the wood out then I just pick up the dump more.  Is there a more practical use for the hookaroon?  Don't get me wrong I love to buy tools, just wonder what the use is?  I am only 40 so not as seasoned as some on this site, maybe a tool for the future?  Thanks  Oh, just funny fact with spell check.  Keeps wanting to enter hooker where I have hookaroon.  This would require very different answers if spell check took over.
Few saws, few axes, few exes, less money!

Gunny

gspren

Quote from: Gunny 1992 on November 27, 2013, 12:46:24 PM
I'm going to put this question up for the more experienced users of the hookeroon.  What is the major function for this tool?  Both my trucks have dumps, one full size dump truck and the other a slip dump.  If I need the wood out then I just pick up the dump more.  Is there a more practical use for the hookaroon?  Don't get me wrong I love to buy tools, just wonder what the use is?  I am only 40 so not as seasoned as some on this site, maybe a tool for the future?  Thanks  Oh, just funny fact with spell check.  Keeps wanting to enter hooker where I have hookaroon.  This would require very different answers if spell check took over.

The short answer is it's an arm extension, get one and you will like it. Like some others I like the wooden handles on a hookaroon although I like the aluminum on my Logrite cant hook. Look up Peavy Manufacturing and pickaroon which is another name for the hookaroon.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

As long as you have a dump truck, you don't need a hooker too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

turnkey

Quote from: Gunny 1992 on November 27, 2013, 12:46:24 PM

Bend over to roll a round over to the splitter?  Need to move rounds over to the truck to load?  Hookeroon.  Bend over to pick up your small limbing saw?  Hookeroon.  In a word most of the stuff you bend over to pick up can be done with a hookeroon.  In fact when 'wooding' I find I bend over about 1/2 as much as I used to.

At least borrow one to try out - you'll be sold the first time you use it.  I used mine once and swore anyone trying to take it away would be in for a fight :)

Harry K

beenthere

turnkey
QuoteBend over to roll a round over to the splitter?  Need to move rounds over to the truck to load?  Hookeroon.  Bend over to pick up your small limbing saw?  Hookeroon.  In a word most of the stuff you bend over to pick up can be done with a hookeroon.  In fact when 'wooding' I find I bend over about 1/2 as much as I used to.

At least borrow one to try out - you'll be sold the first time you use it.  I used mine once and swore anyone trying to take it away would be in for a fight :)

Harry K
So I am wondering, where do you store or keep the hookeroon so it is always handy to pick things up?
Am sure you don't have to bend down to pick it up first ;)  Sounds like you keep it pretty handy all the time.
Maybe have a holster for it ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I think mine is the 30". I keep it on top of the hydraulic box on the WM. I've started to pull big slabs off the mill onto the loader arms with it. Not bending over to straighten out a heavy crooked slab that's on the ground is really nice. When I had a truck with a utility body on it, I would keep it in a driver's side box so I could grab stuff out of the front of the bed with it.

My LogRite hookaroon has the tip pointing back towards the handle. It grabs nicely, and lets go with a twist of the wrist.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

North River Energy

QuoteI'm going to put this question up for the more experienced users of the hookeroon.  What is the major function for this tool?

Extra reach with a talon.
I use mine to clear errant blocks from around the moving parts, on both the processor and the cordwood saw.

Keeps the fingers attached to the hand, etc.

Cedar Savage

Dragging 8 ft firewood when in the woods, into a pile, to buck up, standing up 4-5 footers up on end to carve, picking up firewood blocks off the ground, rolling bigger logs around...off of fork lift, use it like a golf club to wack small chunks of wood outta my way, &  I stick in in the nearest block of wood when I don't need it, for easy retrieval...

Magicman

I had Kevin and Tammy bring me a 30" Hookaroon to this year's Pig Roast.  It is painted Forestry Forum Green.

It works wonderful for reaching across and dragging flitches from the loader to the sawmill bed for edging.

This is where it normally sleeps.   :) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!