iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weird white pine

Started by RynSmith, November 23, 2013, 10:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RynSmith

Jeff's picture of his wolfy white pine reminded me of this one.  It's on the west side of I75 somewhere in the upperlower peninsula, at least is used to be :).

Long story short, I drove that stretch quite often in 2000-2001 and one time I did it with my boss.  Part of our job in FIA was to 'diagnose' tree injuries/diseases, so I asked what he thought was going on with this pine - it's kind of 'broomy' but not a real witches' broom.  Neither of us had a good guess... 

Well, a year or two after I moved on, he sent me this shot saying that he can never unsee this tree I pointed out and it bugs him every time he drives this stretch.  I guess I memorialized myself to him!  :D

So, anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with this pine?

*I put this post in the General Board because I thought some of our many Michiganderian members might recognize this oddity, if it needs moving I understand.

Chuck White

I would guess that some time ago, the top of the tree broke off, then one of the stronger limbs turned upward and that's what you see in the pic!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

I know exactly where that Tree is. On the other side of the road, and to the south is what I refer to as the Indian River Rest Area. You can't unsee that tree is right.  Actually, I think it is a witches broom, but it is starting to "grow out of it"  so to speak. It is not near as pronounced as it was 15 years ago. I still see it every time I go north. I actually think there is a picture of it here somewhere on the forum that I took from the other direction. I had asked the local foresters up here about it several times. In fact, I was so curious about it one of them have refers back to it as "Jeff's tree"  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RynSmith

I had a feeling that someone - maybe even you, Jeff - would know that tree.  So, no one you asked had a firm guess?  Maybe it is just an odd broom. 

If you get a chance, I'd love to see what it looks like now.  I just checked and my old boss is still there - wonder if it's changed enough that it doesn't bug him any more.  :D

Jeff

I'll try to remember when I go up that way either Monday or Tuesday to take a photo. :)

Jeff

I was unable to get a photo, as the roads were horrible. It was snowing and slushy and slick. I did however grab the video camera and try to point it in the general direction of the tree and did get some footage. :)

http://youtu.be/t0ZojdaRZUI

SwampDonkey

I was thinning my last block of the season last week. I was at the back of a couple strips that I was thinning and the black spruce was all bushy like a dog's tale. Looked like broom, but I'm thinking they got hit by kalmia that caused damage to their growth hormones. They were pretty weird looking. I posted a photo some years ago with a black spruce that was bushy with dense branching at the base and the top grew out of it. Kalmia (lambkill) is quite hard on black spruce and not so much other conifers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RynSmith

Holy cow, you're certainly more talented than I am when it comes to filming and driving!  :o  Thanks for doing that, Jeff.

That tree still looks pretty funky to me, but I do see how it's grown some.   :) 

Thank You Sponsors!