iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sundogs in the frozen wasteland

Started by rmack, November 23, 2013, 10:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

took a picture of these the other day, the two dogs on the outside looked like a pair of junior suns to the naked eye. picture taken just before noon.

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Chuck White

That's a really good pic, we see them here once in a while!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Red Good

My old man used to say some really cold weather coming when we saw those .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Ianab

Quote from: Red Good on November 23, 2013, 11:33:07 PM
My old man used to say some really cold weather coming when we saw those .

Ice crystals high in the air I think, so that would fit in with the cold weather theory  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WildDog

Interesting, nice pic. I can't recall ever hearing of Sundogs or even seeing them.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Magicman

I think that we don't have them in Mississippi.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Bill

rmack

It did get quite cold the next day. I think the same holds true when you see a halo around the moon... cold weather coming.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

WmFritz

That is a great photo. Funny though, at least for me... my natural instinct is to look away from the bright light.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

rmack

Quote from: WmFritz on November 25, 2013, 08:35:02 AM
That is a great photo. Funny though, at least for me... my natural instinct is to look away from the bright light.  :D

what can I say... I'm a welder.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

mesquite buckeye

When it gets really crazy, you can get a full ring with sun dogs on either side, then above and below, then a ring curving the opposite direction the same distance as from the sun to the main ring away from the ring.

Also can get a cross running from the sun to all the sun dogs and beyond them.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

A halo around the sun (or moon) is a similar effect, but the sun is higher, and shining down through a high layer of ice crystals. Sun dogs are when the sun is lower, and comes though a lower layer of crystals, so you only see the halo on each side of the sun.

So sun dogs are more common in the higher latitudes, where it's more likely to have that cold layer near the ground, and hence it's also a sign of cold weather.

In warmer climates you don't see them, just the halo from ice up at 30-40,000 ft. Where it might be -50C, even when it's a summer day on the ground.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!