iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealer or finish on rocking horses NOW FINISHED!

Started by justallan1, November 23, 2013, 09:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I'll be building some rocking horses and was wondering what to use for a finish or sealer on them. I'll be using pine.
I just want to make sure that they will be safe for children to chew on. For small indoor toys like this is it advisable to just leave them unfinished. Thanks in advance.

Allan

Sprucegum

Unfinished wood takes on dirt and stays dirty  :(  Just avoid finishes with lead in them and they will be fine, kids can eat a lot more than their parents give them credit for  :D I used a water based urethane on the rocker I built for my granddaughter when she was 1 year old.  She is twelve now and still has all her teeth  ;)

Magicman

I always like to stain, sand, and then use sanding sealer.  This gives you a good base on which to apply whatever you want.  Poly is always good.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SLawyer Dave

Back in the day when I made lots of rocking horses, Poly was always the way to go.  One trick is to use steel wool between coats to knock down any dust bumps.  Make sure you round all of the edges too.  This will both prevent slivers and make it less likely to injure the children using them.  I like using a rounding router bit, set in a router table,  to be able to round all of the edges.  Goes real quick and then only need light sanding to complete the rounded edge.   

Ianab

Another vote for the polyurethane of your choice. They are all non-toxic when finished, and make for a much more durable and cleanable surface.

Any modern paint is also safe, just avoid that can of 50 year old red lead roof paint that might be in the back of the shed  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

justallan1

Thanks guys. I ended up with stain and sanding sealer. The more I think on it, I'll probably get some poly also. They had 1x's done up with every variety of stains, sealers and finishes possible down at the hardware store and I kind of liked the look of the stain and sealer. We'll see what happens.
The bosses son showed up while I was about to start planning boards and decided he wanted to make one also, so he's making an elephant style rocking horse (rocking elephant?) and I'll be making a rocking biplane and a couple rocking horses of different styles.

Allan

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CHARLIE

I made a Merrylegs rocking horse for my oldest granddaughter about 5 or 6 years ago out of pine and painted it. It has held up well and has been well used by her and her twin brothers a lot.  I'll be making another for my youngest granddaughter soon.  If I had used oak or maple, I would have considered a stain and polyurethane varnish, but I don't like the looks of stain on pine. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

justallan1

The stain I picked is real light, I just want enough color to hide a little dirt.
The sealer I got has polyurethane in it already, but I'll probably change my mind a few times as to the final look.
Thanks for all the input.

Allan

justallan1

Here's what I've come up with so far. I had found a picture of one and just drew up my own ideas on shape and size.
I still have more to do than I've done, but it's coming together.

Left Coast Chris

Since pine is soft, an extra deluxe finish would be:  Stain, Deft tung oil with urethane, wipe on poly.

The Deft soaks in and brings the urethane with it hardening deeper than poly alone.   The Deft tung oil also comes with color.

Love the air plane.  The kids will really enjoy it.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

CHARLIE

I like that bi-plane!  I'm considering building about a stationary 8 footer in the backyard for the grandchildren. I'll put a wooden twin barreled machine gun on the top wing. 8) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

justallan1

Charlie, I like your idea with making one for a yard toy to climb on.
These will go to the local toy drive so I was just wanted to be safe on what finishes to use.
Thanks.

Allan

hardtailjohn

Those look great Allan!!  I did a rocking airplane (roughly patterned after our 185 for my first niece, years ago... still have it, and she rocked the wings off it! haha
For a finish, you might check these guys out. Awesome products and all safe to use and ship....
http://www.stewartsystems.aero/category/39/wood-finishing
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

justallan1

Thanks John.
By the way, do you ever make it to this end of the state? I live right near the airport in Colstrip.

Allan

hardtailjohn

I wasn't too far from you the other day, Allan. I passed through Hardin and Billings on my to and back from Nebraska.  I hauled sugar beets from Hardin to Billings one winter, about 35 years ago...  Once in a while, I wind up going that direction, and now that I know you're that close, I'll holler!  I think we'll be headed to Denver for the Stock Show with babies in January, and sometime I'll most likely be headed back to NE with the hitch wagon I'm making into a bed for our Granddaughter.  You just never can tell where I'll turn up! hahhaa

justallan1

Feel free to holler, John. I have corrals at my house if your animals need a break and some water on the way to Denver. MapQuest shows it at just under halfway.
By January my corrals are generally empty, just give a day or so heads up.

Allan

hardtailjohn

Thanks Allan! We might just do that! (you may be sorry! hahha)

justallan1

Well, the little rocking plane thing is starting to look like something. I'm not sure if I want to leave the legs how they are or add some wheels, plus it still needs some dowels between the wings and a prop. Other than that I just need to do some final sanding and start the finishing.

hardtailjohn

If it's got 2 wings, it's GOTTA have a round engine! ;)

justallan1

That's kind of what I was thinking too. A round 2x with the prop attached to that.

Allan

justallan1

Well, here's the finished product.

I spent a bit of time looking through others projects, asked questions and am pretty satisfied with the outcome.
I know for darned sure that I'll spend more time sanding on the next one. That darned poly magnifies any defects whatsoever.
Thanks to this site and the folks that contribute their experiences here it turned out good. Thank you all.

Allan

m wood

allan, that turned out fantastic.  Good for you in helping with the toy drive! with that prototype you could start making a few per day :laugh:
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your craftsmanship is unbelievable. I'm impressed.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hardtailjohn

Thank You Sponsors!