iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tearing Down an Old Barn -For salvage Timber

Started by D L Bahler, November 22, 2013, 10:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D L Bahler

I've modified this Original Post to change the focus of the thread, rather than starting a new one. Now I'm detailing my project to tear down an old barn for salvage timber/lumber to help lower the costs of constructing a barn of my own design, and also give me some authentic olf fabric to give the structure more of a lived-in look.

Here is a barn I plan to tear out for a farmer. I'll be meeting with him in the morning and hopefully giving him a price to tear it down. He want it all cleaned up so he can till the land it is on.

I'm looking at the $3000-$3500 range. I plan to remove the wood and concrete blocks so I can use them.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D L Bahler

No. Too much concrete. He needs the concrete removed. There is an attached block milkhouse, concrete inside and behind the barn. This all has to be dug up, busted, and removed.

D L Bahler

Basically, he's just paying me to remove the concrete and other non-burnable materials.

NWP

Looks like he could burn it then bring in an excavator to get everything cleaned up. You never know. Go with whatever you feel comfortable making some money at. You can always negotiate and come to an agreement on a reasonable amount. My cousin actually buys old barn and tears them down. He sells the wood and stone. Usually doesn't give more than $500-$1,000 for them.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

D L Bahler

Excavator work is at a premium. Most don't want to waste their time at this kind of thing.

The barn is probably about 65x30, all concrete inside. If an excavator would come in there and clean that up he'd have 2 or 3 days solid labor. Machine time is like, $115/hour x 8 hours x 2 days, that's $1800. That would get the slab out for him. maybe. Then there is the milk house, concrete block maybe 30x10 or so. Add another day -or $900- that puts him to $2700 minimum. Then add to that the costs of hauling away or digging a hole to bury it, probably up to $500 or more for that.

So the way I figure it, I've got a price at the low end of what an excavator would charge.

What I'm figuring is this. I've got to rent equipment for about a week -that's $1000 or so for what I'm looking at. Then I've got some fuel costs, and I hope to hire a guy for the deconstruction of the barn itself, maybe a couple days of work out of him. All in all, i figure I've got about $2200 costs to cover. Right now I'm looking at charging $2500 to $3000 range.

The cleanup of the concrete will be me by myself with the backhoe. I won't pay myself for that work. So basically, I'm looking at using the cost of cleaning out the concrete to finance the salvaging of the barn. I won't be making any money at this, at least not enough to call it a living.

Now it may sound like I've got this figured out, but I just want to run these numbers by some folks and see what they think...

SPIKER

Are there any HOLES in the concrete so you can see how it was put down?   could be 8" of rebar reinforced concrete and if so then you would be 4K just getting that smashed out...

Too bad they didn't maintain it looks like it was a real nice barn at one point...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WildDog

Good on you for recycling what timber materials you can, shame to see it wasted.

QuoteI hope to hire a guy for the deconstruction of the barn itself, maybe a couple days of work out of him.

That's a reasonable ask, bit of work involved, especially considering factoring in the safety aspect.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

NWP

You may be right on your time estimation as you've seen it in person. I know it takes my cousin probably a week with 3 guys to tear something like this down and salvage the wood. And he does it all the time. I think you may be underestimating what this will take. What equipment will you be renting?  Some sort of lift or excavator?
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

D L Bahler

I know the actual tear down will take longer. I'm not worried about that. But once I get to cleaning up the concrete, that wont take so long and that's all im chargin them for.

D L Bahler

Well had a nice long talk with the barn owners today, they are all in for getting it torn out so they can till up the ground next spring. Even said they'd supply my fuel to help keep the costs down, now that's a good deal. The farm tanks are right nearby, so that will save a lot of time for me.

Concrete inside the barn is all broke up, and won't take long at all to get that cleaned up. Only hard parts will be the milkhouse/parlor floor, the slab for the old feeder, and there is an old silo ring to get out. They suggested dynamite, and when I told them can't buy dynamite no more, they said black powder. Now these are my kind of folks!

NWP

D L Bahler

Started the tear down today.
As always, you have to be open to all possibilities. I had my idea of how I would prefer to bring it, but was very much expecting the possibility of different things happening.

As you can see in the pictures. the one gable wall had been pushed out by the wind, and it had actually come out a bit more since that picture was taken. So I determined the first thing I should do is get that thing down because I didn't know how stable the roof was. Good thing I did, because when it fell over, the whole roof came down with it and the south wall was destabilized. So what I brought down today was all pulled over, and as I hoped, the beams only broke where I would have to break them anyway (where a lot of joinery was present)

I've found a great variety of wood in this barn -Walnut, Poplar (tulip), Maple, Hickory, but I have yet to find any good oak beams, which I had hoped to get for my sills. Walnut would work, but it has a tendency to shatter...

I'll put up pictures tonight of how it stands now, with about half of the structure brought down.

D L Bahler

Gettin the barn slowly cleaned up and the good material pulled aside and staged.

Thank You Sponsors!