iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of buying a log rite

Started by Cguignard, November 22, 2013, 02:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cguignard

After fighting with my old peavys and reading about everyone's love for them, I am thinking about ordering a 60" log rite.  My only question is has any one ever kinked the wall on there 60" I use my 60" wood handled cant dog for flipping large pine and lifting up the end of logs to put blocks under to account for taper.  And also slide my cants around to catch the next bunk. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues?

Worried about bending it when I get my shoulder under in and start lifting.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

A don't see how a man can bend one. Now hook a tractor or a truck to one.................. By the way you are using a peavey in your picture. Peavey starts with a "p" for point. The Logrite site will tell you the diffenace too. I myself grew up with a peavey. The point comes in handy to pry the logs apart.
And I use my tractor to flip logs that size too. I am impressed.
I have heard of some that have put a wheel on top of the dogs.
I have a Thomas sawmill. I have no idea how your log dogs are. But mine go straight up and down. I have marked inches on them. From 3 to 8. Really 4 inches is 3½. I took of a half inch on each mark, This way when I am saw my flitches or put a log on,if my dogs are set at 6 inches and I saw 6 inches I know I will not saw into them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Lay your worries aside.  You will not bend the Logrite handle.   logrite_cool

Give Tammy a call and tell her that the Forestry Forum sent you.  LOGRITE
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I have a 60" and I put it under the end of 30' logs to lift them up to shim the end level. Sometimes I have to lift with all I've got. It will deflect a little, but it won't kink.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dboyt

Keep your old peavey and pick it up once in a while, just to remind yourself how much the LogRite spoiled you!  Looks like you've got some respectable logs to mill.  Nice sawmill, by the way.  Used Norwoods are hard to come by.  You'll make a lot of sawdust with it!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

T Welsh

Money well spent! I have had a 12,000lb winch hooked to mine rolling a large log onto the mill and it worked fine.Mind you I hooked it down at the bottom. Tim

Deese

Are they they lighter than some of the others? I use one (not log rite) that came with my mill, and man it is HEAVY  :o :o
I cringe whenever I see it propped against the wall :-\ :-\ Plus, the handle is made from square tubing. I DO NOT LIKE IT >:( >:( >:(
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

jmouton

we havent  used anything but logrite  ,  they are prettty light and really strong we have 2 48" long  and i pry all sorts of logs with them and they havent broke yet , I really abuse them ,  I really need a 60" but just havent got around to buyin one yet

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Hilltop366

I have a 48" , I find the grip kind of large for my short fingers, and the hook a bit large for smaller ( 8-10") logs. That being said it seems very tough and works well with the larger logs.

Your pictures tired me out.

Nomad

One man isn't going to put a bend in a Logrite by hand.  Period.  I don't care what you try to do with it.  I'd have to see it happen before I'd believe it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dad2FourWI

I purchased a Logrite 60" with my mill and found it so useful, I purchased a 2nd one!!!

I have to admit that I do abuse mine... I use it to pry logs up out of the sand when cutting (to keep my cs blade out of the sand here)... I even ran one of them over with the tractor! (not on purpose!!!! :) )  and after I dug it out and looked it over... it was fine!!!! (whew!!!!!)

Well worth the money!!!

Hey, Magicman.... if we mention the FF, can we save some $$ on a purchase??? (hmmmm, what could I do with another one..... LOL!!!!)

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Magicman

Sometimes Tammy will be able to secure a scratch/dent, etc. at a reduced price.  I think that I saw where WM is offering Logrites at a 10% discount at the present time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thechknhwk

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 22, 2013, 05:47:30 PM
I have a 48" , I find the grip kind of large for my short fingers, and the hook a bit large for smaller ( 8-10") logs. That being said it seems very tough and works well with the larger logs.

Your pictures tired me out.

You need the 3 footer with the smaller hook on it.  It makes way quicker work of the smaller stuff.

thechknhwk

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on November 22, 2013, 07:03:45 PM
I purchased a Logrite 60" with my mill and found it so useful, I purchased a 2nd one!!!

I have to admit that I do abuse mine... I use it to pry logs up out of the sand when cutting (to keep my cs blade out of the sand here)... I even ran one of them over with the tractor! (not on purpose!!!! :) )  and after I dug it out and looked it over... it was fine!!!! (whew!!!!!)

Well worth the money!!!

Hey, Magicman.... if we mention the FF, can we save some $$ on a purchase??? (hmmmm, what could I do with another one..... LOL!!!!)

-Dad2FourWI

I ran my 60" over with my 3/4 ton truck and all it did was twist the log stand (for lifting firewood) on the handle a bit.  I adjusted it and retightened and all is well.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The worst think about considering to buy a Logrite is considering.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

There are many opportunities in life to second guess a purchase. 

This isn't one of them.  Get it, use it, forget about it, worry about something else. ;D
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

redbeard

I always get a big smile when someone new is helping around the mill and they grab the 60" log rite can't hook and use it for awhile moving logs. It doesn't take long there asking questions and bragging about how nice this tool is.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

losttheplot

Quote from: Cguignard on November 22, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
After fighting with my old peavys and reading about everyone's love for them, I am thinking about ordering a 60" log rite.  My only question is has any one ever kinked the wall on there 60" I use my 60" wood handled cant dog for flipping large pine and lifting up the end of logs to put blocks under to account for taper.  And also slide my cants around to catch the next bunk. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues?

Worried about bending it when I get my shoulder under in and start lifting.

Lumber mate 2000 has big washers on the top of the back stops. They can be replaced with bearings if you want to.

If your not already doing so, move the cant away from the back stops before you try to roll it.
That way you are not trying to slide the bottom of the cant on the bunks, as well as the side of the cant on the back stops.

Build your self a manual log turner/loader.

I pick up my 60" logrite over my wooden handled one every time, cant fault it.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Cguignard

As I worked through that bunch of logs I started to push back from the posts. The log posts on my mill are a custom set up that pivot up from a bracket bolted to the bunks, the owner reversed rotation of the mill so the discharge is opposite of the side you walk, and he made this log post set up.  They worked great but have gotten a little out of square. Once the ground freezes I am going to level the mill and square them up to the bunks.  But I like the washer idea going to have to make a mod to the posts and install some.

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

mobile demensia

Don't think, just buy. Well worth the money. If you buy one and are not happy I will take it off your hands no question.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

Brucer

I have a bent 60" Logrite. The customer supplied me with a helper. His job was to buck the 24" diameter x 50' logs into 16'-8" logs. He disappeared behind the pile with a chainsaw and my Logrite. I heard the saw for a while, then silence. After some more silence I went to see if he was OK.

I found him trying to roll an 1800 pound log that was settled on top of two other logs. He had the Logrite sticking straight to the side, his hands wrapped around the end of the handle and his ankles around the base of the handle. He was bouncing :o. The log would move an inch and roll back. After a few bounces he'd give it a really hard bounce and the log would move 2" -- and roll back. The guy weighed about 180 pounds.

Turns out he'd spent 5 minutes bouncing on the Logrite, trying to get the log to roll off. I asked him if he'd thought about what would happen if the log actually did roll off. Apparently he hadn't.

At the end of the day I noticed the handle was bent just where the bracket is attached. I consider that to be way, way beyond normal use. It isn't bent much and it's still useable. I use it quite often to pry up the end of the log, hoping it'll bend back the way it was in the process. It's not working.

They aren't invincible, but they're pretty darn tough. I'd not hesitate to buy another one. So far three seems to be enough ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

With a manual mill, the 78" mega-logrite is indispensable for turning big logs.  It is amazing what you can do by yourself with one of those.  You also need a 60" logrite for turning normal logs.  You won't believe how good they are to use. 

Really. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Get two while you are at it. Once you have one you will want another.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

backwoods sawyer

I have to disagree with those that say you cant bend one, i have a straight one and one with a curved handle, mine are well used and i mill over sized logs on a regular basis and gladly hand one or both to the customer to use. Are you going to kink the handle I highly dought. Are they indestructable no.

the one next to the wood handled pee-vee has the slight bend to it, it dose not affect its use.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Sixacresand

I don't have one.  I hope a couple fall out of Santa's sleigh next month.  My teenage helper broke the wooden handle out of one cant hooks and bent the steel pipe handle on another.  I tried to explain to him that if a log doesn't roll after a reasonable effort, you should get help or some equipment.  I wish I would listen to my advice.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: redbeard on November 22, 2013, 08:51:33 PM
I always get a big smile when someone new is helping around the mill and they grab the 60" log rite can't hook and use it for awhile moving logs. It doesn't take long there asking questions and bragging about how nice this tool is.
Hard to imagine anyone being strong enough to bend one, no offense.  Maybe somehow if a log or vehicle got one the wrong way.  If you're worried they make one with a heavier handle but IMO you'd want the 78" one instead if you really have to torque something.

LogRites save wear and tear on your body because most any helper can pick one up and use it, sort of like the toddler with an i-Pad.   Just pretend to be busy around the mill and the logs get rolled all by themselves.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I have seen one Logrite with a bent handle but forgot to take a picture.  Maybe we can get member "Rancher" to provide a picture.   ;D  It's at his place but it is not actually his and he does not know how it got bent.

sawdusty1

I bent my 48" one by using it with a 4' cheater bar which was my bad.  I have turned some huge logs with it.  With a manual mill you really need the mega hook for bigger logs.   
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

markkelly

Like my Dad says there's no substitute for a good tool , what does a visit to the doctor cost.
Leverage,  leverage,  leverage.   

Good luck

Mark
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

Cguignard

Well showed my wife the 60" xtreme logrite, hopefully santa brings one! I have some people that help me around the mill that if they picked up a brick it would break :o so I think xtreme might help it last so I can use it.

qbilder

I'm a big strong guy. I can't bend my 60". The closest I have been to bending it was on rolling a giant white oak that was half submerged in the earth but still solid after decades. I needed to get it nudged out so I could clean some mud off before ripping it into quarters with a chainsaw. I got it rolled over, but it took all I had and that poor ol logrite was flexed like a fishing rod. Amazingly, it snapped right back to straight as soon as the tension was off. For being such a simple tool, I wouldn't have ever believed one could be much better than another. But I was wrong, and glad I was. Logrites really are that much better.   
God bless our troops

clww

Don't think about buying one-just do it, or hopefully Santa brings one. It's one of those tools that you only need to buy one time because they will last forever. logrite_cool logrite_cool logrite_cool
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ReggieT

Quote from: Magicman on November 22, 2013, 03:04:16 PM
Lay your worries aside.  You will not bend the Logrite handle.   logrite_cool

Give Tammy a call and tell her that the Forestry Forum sent you.  LOGRITE
Pretty impressive site there...I got guys who skip out on me all the time when it comes to cutting & bucking...Hmm...the The Peavey or Cant Hook?  :P ???

JustinW_NZ

i've only just managed to get one in my hands here in New Zealand and all I can say is "Fantastic!"

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

stumpy

After buying a logrite, the only time you'll pick up a wooden handle peavey is to hang in on the wall as a display.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

WDH

Quote from: ReggieT on November 24, 2013, 10:37:35 PM
Hmm...the The Peavey or Cant Hook?  :P ???

It depends on what you are sawing.  The peavy has a point on the end that is somewhat sharp.  If you are cutting framing lumber and you use the logrite to turn the cant like on a manual mill, it does not make much difference.  However, if you are sawing high quality hardwood like walnut or cherry, the cant hook has a blunt end that will not make a hole in the cant like the peavey can do sometimes.  You don't want a hole in your walnut or cherry lumber  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cguignard

The peavey is self standing around my mill. and can use it to start fence posts. And I use the point to adjust my log posts. Multitasker!

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on November 25, 2013, 08:12:26 AMHowever, if you are sawing high quality hardwood like walnut or cherry, the cant hook has a blunt end that will not make a hole in the cant like the peavey can do sometimes.  You don't want a hole in your walnut or cherry lumber  :)
If you are sawing framing lumber, etc., you may need the extra bite of a cant hook.  I do.

thecfarm

Buy both.  ;D  I myself,since I don't have the fancy hardwood would have no use for a cantdog. But If I was sawing some of that fancy wood and selling it,I would have one or two. Have to have what the customers wants.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Finn1903

I started out with a wooden handle cant hook.  I went to do my first mobile job and about killed myself trying to roll logs around.  I used my log handling fee from that job to pay for the 60" logrite.  Best money I spent!
While I was giving it all I had to roll with the wooden handle, I happend to look down and to see the wood bending with the effort and I thought, what if this broke right now.  That did not leave me with a good feeling about wooden handles.

An aluminum handle may yield or bend, but wood breaks!
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Thank You Sponsors!