iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newbie, some info and a few questions, peterson swing blade

Started by doittoit, November 22, 2013, 12:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doittoit

Hi there, Im new to the site and also new to milling.  After hauling logs all year i decided id better get a saw going as I'm running out of room for the log deck.  The original plan was to restore my dads homemade band mill.  While fueling my raging craigslist addiction i came across a Peterson 8in swing mill and wound up purchasing it.  I believe it is a wpf.  i have just hauled it home and am anxiously awaiting the weather to let up to dig some holes and pour some concrete for piers and get it set up.  Im wondering if converting this to a 10in is as simple as it looks to be from my novice perception?  four blades came with the saw and they all need new teeth and I'm guessing tensioned.  Any info on any saw blade folks in az would be much appreciated as well.  Hope to be dwindling the pine log deck shortly...

Ianab

Welcome to the forum.  :)

As for your questions. If the rails are fixed in place, and the saw head moves up and down in the carriage, then it's a WPF. The ATS version has moving rails more like the Lucas design. Pros and cons of each system, but they both work.

I don't think swapping to a 10" is practical without re-engineering the whole carriage / swing mechanism. The mills rely on the blade tips being in exactly the same spot on the vertical and horizontal cuts. If your blade is the wrong size, the cuts don't meet up, and you have all sorts of grief. The 8" cut isn't really a big limitation, and double cutting is relatively easy on the Peterson for a few wider boards or beams you might need. 8x1s work just fine for board and batten cladding etc.

Someone else may be able to help with a local saw Doc. If you contact Peterson they should be able to send you the specs for the blades. If your local saw doc isn't familiar with the blade design he will probably be rather perplexed by them. They are different to anything off a normal mill or woodworking machine. But if you have the factory spec sheet, just make sure he follows that and the blade will be good again.

Good luck with your sawing / building :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Qweaver

I bought a WPF 10 mainly so that I could saw large logs that were too big for my Woodmizer. I stupidly hit the blade on the cross member and destroyed the teeth.  I took the blade to a shop to be re-tipped but the guy did not know how to do a Peterson blade and did it incorrectly.  I've bought the Peterson jig and will do my own from now on.  Make sure the person you get to re-tip knows how the WPF works. 

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

doittoit,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

I'm kinda with Ian on this, keeping as designed should work for your app. Being new is another reason in my way of thinking to learning the mill then upgrading after awhile if need be.  Congrats on the mill,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

Congrats on the new mill  8)
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Just warning you---it's addictive...both the Forum and sawing  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

doittoit

Thanks for the interest and input.  I probably will stick with the 8" for now until i can get some time on it.  This storm we are having is really putting a damper on progress.  I plan on cutting beams to build a house with and hopefully a shop.  i have many large diameter logs that i was hoping to cut as big of beam out of as possible but i guess 16inches will work for now.  I will be sending by blades off next week to the same outfit the previous owner used.  He seemed to be happy with their work.  Ill try and figure out how to post pics whenever i get started.  Hoping for the moisture to stop soon...

Ianab

If you want to go over the 16", you can.

Now normally you don't move the log while you are sawing, but there is nothing that says you cant. Cut away 1/3 of the log, and flip it over. Saw away the other 1/3, and your are left with a huge beam.

Scott has some pics of doing this in this thread.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61982.0.html

Also works great for making table or bar tops, just take centre section down to ~3". The rest of the log is just sawn normally into whatever you want, but you save one big slab or beam from each log.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tjhammer

welcome to the forum Doittoit
I have an 81/2" saw I use a 91/2"saw on now and then,I have a blade ext I add to the arbor and I saw with no trouble I just add a 3/4 stop on my down stop to keep from hitting my bed  works fine but like Ianab said its easyer to double cut,its a lot of trouble for just i" on my saw.
tj
hammer

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the new to you Peterson mill.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum and congratulations on the new mill!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!