iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

felling an oak

Started by plt, November 21, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plt

I have an oak sorta next to my driveway that has a spot at the bottom on one side that is dead. It goes into the tree in the center from one side. It leans a little to that side, not from the dead spot but just growth. I figure I had better get that down before I really have a problem with it.

What I need a little help with is I need to have it fall a little to the right from the direction it's leaning. But that will have me cutting into the dead spot. If I lose it, it'll fall on one of my chicken coops. It it didn't have the dead spot I wouldn't be concerned. I can cut a notch, but can I trust it to direct the tree? The tree is a post oak at around 22 inches at the base.

Ideas?
Duty, the the sublimest word in our language.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E Lee.

Firewoodjoe

A picture would help but I would not trust very much dead wood. I cut trees everyday but not by building:)

jdonovan

without pictures its hard to tell anything.

If you feel its above your skill level, and can't risk the loss of what it might fall on.... then its time to call a professional to put it on the ground.

beenthere

And keep in mind, it is the hinge that is the most critical part that will control the tree.
The hinge is made up of the notch on one side and the backcut on the other.

If you don't have sound (strong) wood in that hinge, then things can go bad. 

But when you say "dead" wood, I assume you mean wood that is rotten and punky, with no strength to it.

As mentioned, some pics of what you have would be best. Or some good sketches of the cross section of the tree as you estimate it to be with the rot shown, direction of fall, and some measurements shown.

We should be able to help you out with some good advice.   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Well you are right to be concerned, a hinge containing rotten wood is going to be compromised, and might not work properly. Like it could break, and then gravity takes over, and bye bye chicken house.

Can you fell the tree higher than normal, like shoulder height, above the rotten area?

Then you can form a proper hinge in solid wood, and direct the fall.

After it's on the ground, you cut off the 5 ft "stump" and it doesn't matter how it falls.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Autocar

Your best bet is to get a logger or someone with exsperance in falling dead/leaning trees. Sure not worth setting in a wheel chair the rest of your life.
Bill

plt

Quote from: Ianab on November 21, 2013, 01:42:28 PM
Well you are right to be concerned, a hinge containing rotten wood is going to be compromised, and might not work properly. Like it could break, and then gravity takes over, and bye bye chicken house.

Can you fell the tree higher than normal, like shoulder height, above the rotten area?

Then you can form a proper hinge in solid wood, and direct the fall.

After it's on the ground, you cut off the 5 ft "stump" and it doesn't matter how it falls.

Ian

Now that you say that, the dead wood is probably 3 feet from the ground. So I do have wood to make a good hinge.

Thanks

I would take a picture but I'm having a problem get one to upload. It is really like I'm having no luck at all. Getting the pictures from my computer to the site is not working for me.
Duty, the the sublimest word in our language.

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.
Robert E Lee.

beenthere

Quotethe dead wood is probably 3 feet from the ground

Dead wood has little meaning here. Rotten wood has no strength, but "dead" wood can and often does have the same strength as other non-rotten wood. The center of a tree still standing that isn't rotten or decayed is for all practical purposes - dead.  As dead as the wood in a freshly cut board removed from a good log on the mill or a 2x4 in the wall of a 100 yr old house.  So dead wood doesn't mean weak or rotted wood. 
Just sayin....  ;)

QuoteGetting the pictures from my computer to the site is not working for me.

Have you been to the thread in the "Behind the Forum" Board on the Home page? That will give you some good help with the pics.
Also, you need to set up your own gallery in your profile and then you should be good to go.
Let us know if any problem persists, and we can get you over that hump.
Look forward to seeing this tree.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

r.man

If the tree is still basically solid you could put a safety line on it to ensure it doesn't fall a certain way even if the hinge fails etc. That would require a decent anchoring spot in a limited area and a long large rope, cable or chain.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!