iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some decent pine

Started by CCC4, November 20, 2013, 09:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I just started a new tract Monday, some really nice pine and some nice oak on the place (have spotted (3) 4 ftr. so far). Anyway, just cutting along the skid trail. This place is going to be re planted in pine...I'm trying to save out all of the small pine that I possibly can. The brush oaks and the pulp stuff is questionable. I'm trying save out the 8's, I am avoiding them as much as possible, but tall heavy topped oak can clear a path!

This video is from this morning. I have several more videos of some fatties...I think I will upload them into one video, but it will be 2moro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9GE1oGLbY&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

thechknhwk

Thanks for posting these videos.  One of these days I'm gonna learn how to drop trees like that.

Couple questions... it looks like you're sawing right thru the hinge wood if so how come?  Also how come you use the top of the bar to make your felling or back cut.

CCC4

Hey there, Thanks.

Well, as far as the "back barring", I will give ya my take on it. When using a 1/2 wrap bar to fall timber, in order to stay on the same side of the tree you put in your face from, you either have to back bar your face cut and do your back cut normally or put your face in normally and back bar your back cut. Other wise you have to put your face in and then walk to the other side of the tree to do your back cut....which I should have done on that size timber. Thing is that I am very comfortable cutting from either side of the tree, and can line my cuts up on the same side, better than switching sides of the tree. 

One way to stay on the same side for both cuts "and" always use the bottom of the bar, is by using a "full wrap" handlebar. I have one but I am setting up a saw just for falling big timber and I will use the full wrap on it.

As far as the cutting of the hinge... well, I figure that is one of my biggest critiques from people. I actually still use the hinge wood to commit to the face and once committed, I go ahead and cut the hinge. It's not really something that I would encourage anyone to do, there are lots of safer ways to get a tree on the ground.

Thanks for your questions man! You be safe out there! If I didn't answer your question specifically enough just re-ask and I can try and explain better. Thanks again for the questions! Be careful out there, things can go bad really quick like while falling timber! Cheers!

thechknhwk

Last question for this video, what saw is that?

CCC4

stock 660...I have a "beasty" on the way, I think it should throw some serious chips! The saw I'm getting is a "built" saw...I will wait till in a video to reveal what it is.  :)

thechknhwk

Hahaha, the tree and your monstrous lumberjack hands make it look small.  I thought it was a 260.

One more question since you're answering them.  It appears your open face cut is about 1/2 the tree diameter, or is it an optical illusion?  If it is about 1/2 how come?  I have no formal training and no one taught me either, but I thought I recall reading that the face should be approximately 1/3 diameter.

Stephen Alford

CCC4,noticed that you have gone to "one" glove, guess the temps have gone from, warm to moderate, but not quite "cold"  :D :D    What do use to twitch "grapple verses cable", "full tree verses tree length" and how that relates to your lay? Great to see different techniques in different species. Thanks, Stephen.
logon

CCC4

LMAO! No...it's the 20" bar that make that saw look little! It looks and "feels" like a big boy with a 30" bar on it.

Yeh, on pine, I unconsciously do 50/50 kerf and oak...I come back just a smudge further depending on the lean and how the cut goes.

Man, like I said, there are safer ways of putting timber on the ground. I don't mind a bit to answer for what I do but I would be awfully sad to hear someone went out and tried my style and get a saw or him or her self smashed. I have no formal training either, I would like to get some certification and hit the fire line cutting hazard trees...but that's me dreaming...

CCC4

Quote from: Stephen Alford on November 21, 2013, 07:31:48 AM
   CCC4,noticed that you have gone to "one" glove, guess the temps have gone from, warm to moderate, but not quite "cold"  :D :D    What do use to twitch "grapple verses cable", "full tree verses tree length" and how that relates to your lay? Great to see different techniques in different species. Thanks, Stephen.

...yer gonna make me late for work! LOL! I couldn't resist replying to such funny this morning! Yeh, I actually lost a glove, I crushed that hand years ago hand loading ERC and that dude gets to burning on a coldish morning...I saw that I had it on.

Ha, I'm smiling and that is a good thing being as I'm gonna be in a down pour for a while if not all day.

treeslayer2003

you have a good safe day there C4.

gologit

Quote from: CCC4 on November 21, 2013, 07:38:00 AM
I have no formal training either, I would like to get some certification and hit the fire line cutting hazard trees...but that's me dreaming...

Morning Clint...if you go for a falling cert you might want to start leaving a hinge.  I'm pretty sure they'd bust you big time for using the technique that you're using now.
Semi-retired...life is good.

CCC4

Yes Sir, I figure they'd fail me with a smile. Yeh, I would like to see about some certification. There was a guy on here recently that did some GOL stuff, that was in S. Missouri. The only other courses are through Bibbler Pine or Weyerhauser...which ever name they are using at the time. My boss has taken tons of courses down there due to he is contracted through them and my boss buys so much Gubment timber. But I don't know what degrees or what have ya of certification. I'm pretty limited Bob. But yes, I would be prepared before I went.

CCC4

CCC4

Quote from: Stephen Alford on November 21, 2013, 07:31:48 AM

I got so tickled about yer observation that I forgot to answer the rest of your question. We use grapple skidders and they have winches. Our hills even though they are steep, they are relatively short. I can usually put the timber up hill or send it to the bottom. The tract where the latest videos are from has a step ground section. I cut part of it yesterday and was forced to 1/4 down hill all the timber. The timber was going to reach the bottom at too steep an angle and break. I will have to pull chokers to maybe 30 trees...IDK yet for sure. As far as my lay is going...the steep ground has the only consistent lay, mainly due to the angle of the hill and small percentage of save timber. The young pine on this place is all in the wrong places! LOL! What I try to do for the skidder OP is group what I can, then progress away so not to clutter him up.

Maine logger88

How big is a 660 is it like the size of a 395 huskey I know verry little about stihl saws the only one I ever ran was a couple ms460s that a guy I used to work with had
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

Maine logger88

Yeh makes sense I thought the 460 was kinda between my 2171 and 2186 jreds in power
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

my 461 thinks its a 288 lol
sorry Clint for jackin yer thread bro.

Stephen Alford

Thank-you for the videos and response ccc4.    I find myself thinking about information  posted on the ff quite a bit during the day. Really helps to keep the focus on what your doing.  :)

-10 here today with the wind chills from the wind off the open water. Things are starting to stiffen up.
logon

CCC4

Ha! yeh right slayer...ya jacking my thread! pftt! I'm glad you had the answer! LOL! I was gonna have to google it! LOL!

CCC4

Quote from: Stephen Alford on November 21, 2013, 09:32:52 PM
Thank-you for the videos and response ccc4.    I find myself thinking about information  posted on the ff quite a bit during the day. Really helps to keep the focus on what your doing.  :)

-10 here today with the wind chills from the wind off the open water. Things are starting to stiffen up.

-10...brrrr! I'd have to wear (2) gloves!   :o looks like that field would fall under, I bet a good surface freeze would be a benefit huh! Looks like you have  a bunch of equipment! What species of wood do you cut up there mostly? Thank you!

Stephen, what is the equipment in the middle? It doesn't look familiar enough to figure out what it is.

Stephen Alford

Started out doing stand improvement work. So the focus was to try and improve the genetic stock in hardwood stands through species and density manipulation. Main byproducts was firewood. On the softwood side the focus was  the harvest of old field, mature white spruce stands. Site prep and reforest with white spruce ,some pine and a bit of larch.  The program was more diverse but when it along with the forestry sector tanked 5-8 years ago  there was not much left.   Now it is pretty much building lots,access roads and firewood. Personally just did not want to become somebody new.  ;D
   There are a few pics in my gallery if you can make your way there  through user gallery and under  "s"
The rig in the middle is a log  loader on a trailer I gear up.

logon

Stephen Alford

This is a twitch from today choked up .

After the comehither.

This one had to be felled all to the left because of the property steaks.

A bit of a lean on the dominants from the wind.  Just wanted to illustrate the difference in cover type from what you work in ccc4.   :)
logon

CCC4

Thanks for the pics Stephen! Yeh, it's good to see how other people get their timber to the ground and out of the bush. Yeh, I've been blessed lately with limited underbrush job sites. When I do get thick underbrush...it's bad! Green briars and buck brush are my favs.

Hey Stephen, you being a Forester...have you ever seen such a clear understory and zero signs of fire? About everywhere around here has seen fire at some point, this tract has pine needle build up like 6 inches and the rest has returned back to soil.

Your cab on yer knuckle boom is what was throwing me, I couldn't see the boom from the first pic. Looks like you have an efficient system. I was noticing yer chains for choking instead of actual chokers. When falling a strip do you fall the first one cross layed then fall the strip on top of that first tree? I do this alot in order to get the butts up in the air....an old horse logging trick I brought over.

Stephen Alford

Yes indeed ,would love to do a woodlot walkabout. Fire is our friend,as a seller of firewood, but it can be a" heller".
  When you work alone, and I only say that because its just different, I am never sure just how I will be getting the wood out. Breakdowns ,weather, landowners, etc all impact.  So the focus is to try and put the wood up so it can be retrieved.

The cross lay technique you mentioned is a fav. Also sticker most drops. In this case did not want to drop on adjacent property so along the line  with a roll out was the plan. A road is going down the line.

I go with a 12' cut on the firewood.

With the grapple  8' wood works nice.

Use the chain chokers on the tractor as well as the skidder. Good when there the same set up. Cable chokers will not lift high enough with the tractor winch.    :)
logon

Thank You Sponsors!