iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT35 vs Used LT40 ??? Help!!!

Started by Dad2FourWI, November 19, 2013, 08:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dad2FourWI

Hey all,

A while back, I managed to really mess up my back, lifting logs onto my LT10 (I thought I was 20 again instead of 50) ... and ever since, I have been my chiropractor's best friend - for about a month now... and I am REALLY tired of nursing this sciatic nerve along!!!!  >:(

I can see that something has to change!

I called up my WM rep and he has a new LT35 (with full hydraulics) and he is also sitting on a LT40 with around 1000 hours.

He told me to come and see him... but I would LOVE some input from everyone first!!!!!!!

We live on the family farm (320 acre tree farm in central WI) and we are building a new cabin/house ourselves (for the last 3 years!) plus out-buildings/sheds/etc.

Right now we have no plans on milling for external customers - we mill for only our own use... but the future is always unknown... :)

OK, to the question... money is tight, but we LOVE working with our own wood but I don't think that I will be able to man-handle the logs for anytime in the near future.... if ever again.

So, if I were to entertain the idea of moving to hydraulics..... would you suggest the LT35 (new - no abuse from the previous user) or goto the "work-horse" LT40 with 1000 hours on it????

I would really appreciate any/all feedback on this....

Sincerely,
-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

thecfarm

Not a WM guy,but how old is the mill too? 1000 hours is not all that many I feel,but being 10 years old is. I would be concerned about the wiring and the hoses.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jackpine

Ray,   I sent you a pm before I saw this thread  :D

mikeb1079

i'd go with the lt40.  i believe it's a bit stouter and has greater capacity.  also, if any of you sconnie boys have a line on a used hydraulic mill let me know.   :)  my back is also sore   :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

hunz

I am right there with you teetering. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to the lt-35. My reasoning is this.......big logs(32"+) are no fun dealing with. From equipment to move them, to having to remove even larger slabs. To me, with the current fragile state of my back, the extra capacity on the lt-40 isn't worth it. For those who have to do nothing but cater to the customer, they have no choice. To stay competitive you would need the bigger 36" capacity. If you do decide to custom saw later down the road like me. I don't think being able to saw that extra few inches will make or break a business.

Are you working with the Newnan, GA branch? How many lt-35's did they have if they mentioned it?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Brucer

According to the LT40 manual, there are some items that might need replacing at around 1000 hours. You might check to see if any of these have been replaced recently.

750 hours:
- Hydraulic Pump solenoid (mine is still the original at 2350 hours).
- Hydraulic Pump motor brushes (I replaced the originals at 2170 hours).
- Power feed motor brushes (At 2170 hours mine still had half their life).

1000 hours:
- Up/down drum switch (I replaced mine at 1085 and again at 2213 hours).
- Up/down motor brushes (At 2240 hours mine still had half their life).
- Blade guide rollers (I replaced mine at 2256 hours and should have done so sooner).

1200 / 1250 hours:
- Power feed drum switch (I replaced mine at 1301 hours and again at 2294 hours).
- Drive belt (I replace mine at 2200 hours and it was long overdue).

Also, although it isn't on the LT40 list, I had to replace my power feed potentiometer at 933 hours. It is just starting to get a little flaky again at 2350 hours.

All the numbers in the schedule are compiled from information supplied by customers. They can vary a lot depending on individual circumstances (as you can see by my numbers).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customsawyer

I have bought both new and used from WM. If they are selling a used mill I will wager a bet that they have gone through it and replaced anything that was even close to needing it. What engines are on the two mills? I would lean more towards the LT 40 due to there being more options and the greater capacity.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

submarinesailor

Does one of them have a debarker?  If so, get that one.

Bruce

JustinW_NZ

I went for a 1997 LT-40super with just over 1200 hours on it.
It had not run for a couple of years and had not been serviced by a dealer and so I was 'left too it'

Best thing we ever did  :)

I've learnt how to maintain it by pulling it apart and putting new bits in and figuring stuff out. - LOVE this forum!
Has this cost my customers? - NO (I saw only for customers and am 100% portable) - why? a little prevention goes a long way  :D
and did the guy before me maintain it well - NO! but a few dollars spent on some new bolts/hoses/battery and it was good to go..

Brucer point out the common 'wear' items and they are not hard to check /keep an eye on so easy to replace when the time comes.
I will add battery to the list, as the bigger mills run pretty expensive batteries (if you want them to last)

Just my 10c worth anyway

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

LoneDuck

I looked at both and was fortunate to find a lt40hd just north of you. Got it at a good price and am really likeing it. A great improvement compared to the hudson that I helped my dad cut with. The lt35 I was looking at was $2000 less but not hydraulic so I went with the 40. If nothing else the resale will make up the difference.

Chuck White

The hydraulics will take at least 95% of the bull work out of milling logs to lumber!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

GDinMaine

What kind of engines are on these mills? It it "regular" 40 or Super Hydraulic?  I would lean toward the LT-40, as I own one and that is the one I know. Now you think the extra capacity is not really a selling point, but I never heard anyone say: "I wish I bought the smaller one."
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Dad2FourWI

Thank you all SOOO much for the awesome replies!!!!!!

It is very much appreciated!

My closest WM rep is in Mosinee, WI

I will be calling him up and setting up a time to go see these - get the maintenance history, and the specs (engines, etc) on both mills.

That was an awesome list of items to "look over" near the 1000 hr mark - thanks Brucer!! I will be printing that off, along with the additional items to check for... and see what my WM guy knows about the maintenance (it sounds like he has done the maint for this mill for the gentlemen selling the mill).

I have to admit that since my back has "gone punk" - I have not fired up the LT-10 and I am really missing the flying saw-dust!!!! I can't wait for the hydraulics!!!!

Again, thank you all so much for the comments and insights into this... hind-sight is 20/20 but the hard part is getting there - after having chosen the correct path...! :)

Keep the ideas and "look-out-for-this" list coming!!!

Sincerely,
-Dad2FourWI

Magicman

No question, I would go with the LT40.  Sure, I replace stuff every year, but the expense is not that great. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

You can learn a lot about a used mill by looking at the User's manual. If the owner hasn't got it, you can be pretty sure he hasn't been doing any preventive maintenance. If he does have it (and if it's a Wood-Mizer) there's a listing at the end of the Maintenance chapter where you can (should) record all your routine maintenance. If that section is blank, you can assume he wasn't too concerned about good maintenance.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

backwoods sawyer

I track all my maintenace on my computer rather then the maintenace book, but a dog eared maintenace book is not a bad thing, I picked up my mill "well used" and owner did not believe in lubricating the mill, "as it atracks sawdust" after freeing up all the rested pins, bathing the mill in lubrication, exstencive maintenace and preventive maintenace the first year, my maintence cost have dropped way down and the mill is in real good condition after 13 years of heavy use. My big maintenace for this year is replacing the whole debarker motor and arm assembly, although i did order it mid october and am still on hold for the arm assembly to be built.
Most parts are ship next day or shortly there after so if you find minor issues with the lt 40 don't be to concerned about maintenace, easy mills to work on and parts are readly avalible. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on November 21, 2013, 12:37:28 AM
I track all my maintenace on my computer rather then the maintenace book, but a dog eared maintenace book is not a bad thing, I picked up my mill "well used" and owner did not believe in lubricating the mill, "as it atracks sawdust" after freeing up all the rested pins, bathing the mill in lubrication, exstencive maintenace and preventive maintenace the first year, my maintence cost have dropped way down and the mill is in real good condition after 13 years of heavy use. My big maintenace for this year is replacing the whole debarker motor and arm assembly, although i did order it mid october and am still on hold for the arm assembly to be built.
Most parts are ship next day or shortly there after so if you find minor issues with the lt 40 don't be to concerned about maintenace, easy mills to work on and parts are readly avalible.

Absolutely true!  If you can read, you can maintain an LT40!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dad2FourWI

OK, thanks for more good feedback!!!

I will "checkout" the user's manual condition and look for some good oil spots and lots of coffee spots!!! :)   (all of my manuals have lots of good coffee marks!)

Wow, when I started this thread, I thought it would be quite "even" but I am amazed by how much "support" the 40 has behind it...

I talked to jackpine last night and he brought up a good point.... the 35 has not been out too long, so it will not have the "user base" the 40 has... very true. He also said... the 40 just plain works and works and works!!!

If you come up with anything else, please pass it my way! I am going to see if I can swing some free time to head up to Mosinee to the WM rep... with opening day less than 48 hours away.... I'm kindof busy today!!!!! LOL! :) :)

Thanks again!!

-Dad2FourWI

Magicman

Some other things are also important.   fudd-smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

I'll just put in a plug for the 35.  I sometimes wish I had a 40, but sometimes I'm glad I don't, since I've got back problems too, and it's a good excuse to decline jobs where I'd be wrestling the bigger logs and putting my body in more jeopardy.  In the short time I've been sawing, I can't say I've lost any business because I didn't have the capacity of a 40 -- either the 35 can handle the job, or the logs are 4' or better and the job needs something way bigger.

I wouldn't shy away from the 35 if you won't be sawing anything bigger than 30" or so as long as speed isn't critical, mine has worked great, the little 25-hp Kohler fires up every time, and I'm just really happy with mine.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Cypress Sam

I had the thirty five and now I have a 40.  If you are just sawing for yourself go with the new thirty five.  I is a little quicker to change blades and work on if you have problems and you will have problems.  All sawmills break down a some point.  the worst is mice in the wiring in the winter{rat poison}!  New mills can have a bug or two.  nothing terrible just things that show up after the first couple hundred hours use.  All new complicated equipment does.  But a new mill is a lot better than a mill that ran 1000 hours with one oil change!
  My 40 is a g38  the extra horsepower over the 35 is a help keeping up with custom cypress orders. but if your cutting mostly 16 inch or smaller trees you really cant tell the difference.  32's are another matter.

Hope this helps
Sam
SAM

Finn1903

Buying a new vs used mill is a personal choice.  Part depends on your finances, are you paying cash, getting a loan ect, then on the condition of a used mill and finding a used mill. 

No having sawn on a 35 I am just going on my opinion, I would go with a LT-40 over the 35, regardless if you are sawing for yourself or for side income.  Now if you were talking regular 40 vs the super, that depends on your use. 

I looked for a used super, but found it was easier to buy a new one.  Of course shortly after I bought the new mill a used super came up for sale with the options I wanted.  Go figure.  Mills seem to hold their value well. 
I would not be afraid of a used mill in good shape.  I think others had good comments on the maintenance log.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Thank You Sponsors!