iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Post and Looking for a New Saw

Started by Daman, November 19, 2013, 06:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daman

Hi everyone! It is my first post so a brief bio. I am a landowner with a small farm and some timber land. Right at 600 acres and lease another 1000 of timber for hunting. I have got to buy a new chainsaw! I have used my granddad's or stepdad's ever since I was big enough to run a saw (around 13) and feel like it is time for me to buy my own and quit borrowing.

I have run a small Stihl with a 16" bar (MS 180 maybe), a Husqy with an 18" bar in the 40cc range, a Stihl 044, a Still MS 441 Magnum, and a Husky 455 Rancher. I use these saws often and consider myself experienced with saws. I really like Stihl MS 441 Magnum a buddy of mine let me borrow last month to fell and buck a few large oaks that had died, but I can see spending over $1k on a saw when I use one a couple Saturdays each month at most.

I am really interested in the Echo CS-400P and the Echo CS-500P, but the local saw shop carries Stihl, Husky, and Echo so I will be sure to check them all out and talk with the mechanics in the shop.

Most of the trees I fool with run 12" to 24" diameter and are mixed between oaks and long leaf pine. I have never sank a saw in a tree over 36" and would call my buddy who is a logger to fell anything larger than that as I don't feel comfortable with a tree any larger. So with that being said, I need a saw that I can run ~50 hours a year and cut up to 30" trees comfortably. I would like to run a 16 or 18" bar.

Any opinions? How are the Echo's?

Thanks!
Daman

AdkStihl

You need a 70cc saw my friend.
A 40 or 50cc saw aint gonna cut the mustard with a 24" oak
J.Miller Photography

Ward Barnes

Quote from: AdkStihl on November 19, 2013, 06:50:58 PM
You need a 70cc saw my friend.
A 40 or 50cc saw aint gonna cut the mustard with a 24" oak

I have a new MS 362 that is doing wonderful in large freshly downed maple up to 25 inches.  In seasoned (dead standing) oak I would agree that there would be a need for a larger saw.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

sharkey

If you like the Echo's, take a look at a 590.  Theyre on sale right now and you should be able to get one at nearly the price of the 500.  If you would like you can buy it straight from Echo's website and pick up at the dealer.
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-590-Timber-Wolf 

Cattoon

I recently caught an Echo 600P on clearance at Home Depot , I have been very pleased with it, and they now have the 620 out. I'm also a stihl fan and have an ms250 that has been a good saw for about 8 years now. I wanted a bigger saw and couldn't turn the Echo down for $300 out the door.

Daman

I think you just may be right in that I need a big saw. I don't want to give the impression that I am not willing to buy an expensive saw, but I don't want to go buy a 441 or a 562xp if I don't need one.

Also, if I go that big I want to add a 40cc saw or even smaller just to limb with. I don't care to swing the 441 all day on 3" limbs...

All suggestions and opinions welcome!

Andyshine77

I think you're the perfect candidate for a Dolmar 6400 or Makita 6421 they're the same saw just different names and colors. The 6400 will pull a 24" bar & chain better than any other 60cc saw on the market "more like a 70cc saw really"  I've seen them pull 28" bar and chain just fine as well. The bad news, the saw is a little heavy for it's displacement, but you can always upgrade the saw and make it a 79cc for about 200 bucks. Bailey's has the Makita listed for $649.99 with free shipping.http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaws/Chainsaws/Professional/Makita-Model-DCS-6421-Chainsaw-with-20-Bar-Chain.axd   
Andre.

luvmexfood

I looked at the Echo 590 mentioned above and it had some pretty nice features. May pick one up. Had to replace some equipment so can't this week. Have a Stihl 029 and it is getting some age on it and beginning to show it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Daman

I will look into the Dolmar/Makita saws. I don't have a shop locally that carries those so I will need to make sure I can get it worked on if something breaks that I can't fix.

Also, I am not hung up on Echo. I am willing to buy any of the major brands - I just happen to have a Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna dealer locally with a really good saw shop and very good customer service.

thecfarm

I always say go with a good dealer,no matter what brand. But sounds like you all ready have that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

I am also a landowner with 2 small farms so between cutting dead trees for firewood and cleaning up trees blowing down in pastures and crop fields the cutting demands really vary from week to week. I like at least 2 saws when I go out and my 044 with 24" bar paired with MS261 with 16" bar works nice. If only one saw I'd keep the 044 and put the 20" bar back on it but I really like that 261!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

pwheel

That's a lot of land. Recommend a 50cc and 70cc saw plan to cover limbing, bucking & felling; the local Stihl, Husky, Echo shop will be able to steer you to the right saw brand.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

beenthere

I do the felling, limbing, and bucking with one saw... MS361 with 20" bar.

No interest in smaller or bigger than that. ;)   But that is just one way to get 'er done. The MS362 Stihl is the later model of the MS361 and has earned good reviews on this Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pwheel

Quote from: beenthere on November 20, 2013, 10:00:14 AM
I do the felling, limbing, and bucking with one saw... MS361 with 20" bar...

Right. I forgot to mention the 60cc 1-saw plan...

Daman

Quote from: gspren on November 20, 2013, 08:12:45 AM
  I am also a landowner with 2 small farms so between cutting dead trees for firewood and cleaning up trees blowing down in pastures and crop fields the cutting demands really vary from week to week. I like at least 2 saws when I go out and my 044 with 24" bar paired with MS261 with 16" bar works nice. If only one saw I'd keep the 044 and put the 20" bar back on it but I really like that 261!

This is the plan I am leaning towards. A good ~50cc saw with a 16" bar and a pro-grade 70cc saw with 20" and 24" bars. I could be convinced to buy a 60cc with a couple of bars if the dealer had a good sales pitch...

So what 50cc saw should I look at? Echo CS-500P, Husky 455 Rancher, Stihl MS 271or Stihl MS 261?

pwheel

Quote from: Daman on November 20, 2013, 11:40:11 AM
Quote from: gspren on November 20, 2013, 08:12:45 AM

This is the plan I am leaning towards. A good ~50cc saw with a 16" bar and a pro-grade 70cc saw with 20" and 24" bars. I could be convinced to buy a 60cc with a couple of bars if the dealer had a good sales pitch...

So what 50cc saw should I look at? Echo CS-500P, Husky 455 Rancher, Stihl MS 271or Stihl MS 261?

No experience with Echo products, but I'd think about a Husky 346xp if the dealer can still get one or a Husky 545. The Stihl MS 261 weighs more than the Husky's, but less than the MS 271. I use my 50cc saws a bit more than the 70cc saws, and there's always limbing to do, which I find to be a pain in the neck, so I'm glad I went with the pro 50cc models to cut down on weight as much as possible. The 50-70cc 2-saw plan (see signature below) has worked out well for what I do, which is similar to gspren.

celliott

If you're comfortable wrenching on your own saws, I'd look at a used 70cc pro saw. Won't cost the same as new, but you still will have a very nice saw. No warranty coverage though, and you might not know exactly what you're getting, might have to put a few $ into it.
That's the route I'd go. Don't know if I'd ever buy a new saw though  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

gspren

One of the reasons I nearly always take 2 saws along is to help recover a pinched saw. I don't normally get a bar pinched in the big stuff where a wedge will work but in the 6-7 inch limbs on the oak and hickorys, not often but it does happen.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Andyshine77

Quote from: Daman on November 20, 2013, 08:02:29 AM
I will look into the Dolmar/Makita saws. I don't have a shop locally that carries those so I will need to make sure I can get it worked on if something breaks that I can't fix.

Also, I am not hung up on Echo. I am willing to buy any of the major brands - I just happen to have a Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna dealer locally with a really good saw shop and very good customer service.

Any saw mechanic will be able to work on the Dolmar's, they're nice and simply designed, very easy to work on. Parts are priced reasonably, not that you will need any. For the money you'll have a true felling saw. You simply can't say that about any other saw in it's price range.     
Andre.

7sleeper

If you want to stay with great economy at great quality then I would recomend either the combo 40&60cc or 50&70cc
1. Dolmar 420 & 6100 (supposed to run better than the 6400 with a 20 inch bar!), or
2. Echo 400 & 590(=600p with a plastic handle instead of aluminium, the 620 is the same saw with alu grip and a few extras) The Echo usually need a little tweaking(muffler modification and carb retune) to run very good.
3. Redmax G 5300(Husqvarna 353)& GZ7000 usually a little cheaper than Husqvarna although the same in different colour

When getting a combo the typical recomendation is to have ~ 20cc between them.

Good luck!

Daman

Thanks guys!

I am off from my day job next week so I will go to the shop and nose around and talk with the mechanics. I may just walk out with a new pro saw and a 20" bar or I may walk out with an Echo CS-400 with a modified muffler and tuned carb. I really don't know how I am going to play it as far as what to buy first but I am 99% sure I am going to a 2 saw set-up for all my felliing, bucking, and limbing needs.

I will probably go 50cc on the first saw and 70-80cc on the second saw so if I get in a bind with the big one I can cut it out with the smaller one.

Daman

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on November 20, 2013, 10:00:14 AM
I do the felling, limbing, and bucking with one saw... MS361 with 20" bar.

No interest in smaller or bigger than that. ;)   But that is just one way to get 'er done. The MS362 Stihl is the later model of the MS361 and has earned good reviews on this Forum.

A Husky 562xp/560xp or Jonsered 2260 no doubt is a better option than the MS362, if he can't find a good MS361 - maybe better than that one as well.
Information collector.

redmule

Give the Dolmar ps 6100 a close look. It is a very nice 61cc saw with good power. Good luck with what every you buy.

Daman

I am seriously looking at the Husqvarna 562xp and running a 20" bar for everything.

It is between the 562xp, 555, and the Stihl MS362.

7sleeper

As was already mentioned take a serious look at the Dolmar brand! You can save some serious cash compared to the big players.

JohnG28

Quote from: Daman on November 21, 2013, 09:51:09 AM
I am seriously looking at the Husqvarna 562xp and running a 20" bar for everything.

Don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Daman

Quote from: JohnG28 on November 21, 2013, 05:57:57 PM
Quote from: Daman on November 21, 2013, 09:51:09 AM

Don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices.

That is what I am thinking. So far it sounds like the 562xp is the best option for what I need.

Daman

I just bought a saw a few minutes ago. I bought the Echo CS450P with an 18" bar and a full chisel non safety chain.

I am going to run it after lunch and work it out. The saw shop foreman told me to burn two tanks of gas and bring it back by and he would put a tach on and tune the carb. He also said he would pull the muffler screen and open the flow up if it needed it.

I walked in and told him what i cut and what I could spend and we looked at ten different models from Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo. From 40cc to 80cc, and I liked the size to power ratio of the 450p.

Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!