iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 80EV parts?

Started by msjdgman, November 18, 2013, 05:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msjdgman

Hi all,  new to the board and tried a search for the old JD 80 EV saw, (I believe Echo 750EVL?).  Apparently my ignition module has given up, and I`ll be darned if I can find one.  I bought it new and fully understand the fact that it`s a 34 year old saw and parts are hard to come by.  But if anyone has any knowlwdge of where I could find one I`d be very appreciative.  At this point, I will retire it but simply want to get it running to compliment displays of my JD tractors at shows.  Thanks in advance!!
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

ALWOL

You can watch eBay for parts, may have to buy the whole saw to get what you need. It is possible that the coil from another, smaller and more common saw will work.
   I have a bunch of the old John Deere and Echo saws, and I really like 'em.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

Z50guru

The 750EVL is a great saw. I'll have a look around. I may be able to help ya out. Heres my Deere/Echo  :)

msjdgman

Quote from: Z50guru on November 18, 2013, 08:48:16 PM
The 750EVL is a great saw. I'll have a look around. I may be able to help ya out. Heres my Deere/Echo  :)

Hey, that would be fantastic.  Just let me know if you find anything.  I`m in no rush...time is a friend for a change.  I actually have 2 of the 80`s.  My dads early one, that I sort of got running yesterday.  I need to rebuild the Walbro carb, and I have a sneeky suspicion that a crank seal may be leaking.  But time will tell.  At least it has good spark.
JD 80EV

msjdgman

Quote from: ALWOL on November 18, 2013, 08:25:50 PM
   You can watch eBay for parts, may have to buy the whole saw to get what you need. It is possible that the coil from another, smaller and more common saw will work.
   I have a bunch of the old John Deere and Echo saws, and I really like 'em.

Alan

I`ll have to give ebay a try.  With any luck something will turn up.
JD 80EV

AdkStihl

PN# 15000212031

Give Chainsawr a call. Site sponsor on the left. He lists one, although site default list it as "sold out", I would bet a few donuts he can help you help you out.

It might just be the condenser, in which case can be swapped from just about a million different saws I do believe.
J.Miller Photography

sharkey

Before you buy anything, go over the wiring and the grounds.  Clean everything well.  Use an ohm meter on the switch. 

beenthere

msjdgman
Is this link of any help? 

ignition PT3797
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

msjdgman

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I haven`t had the time to investigate things any of the leads any further yet, but I sure do have a few potential resources now.  With any luck, I`ll have some time by Turkey day weekend to look into this project a little deeper.  Again....thank you!!
JD 80EV

beenthere

ms
Which part or parts are you after?
In other words, which parts make up the ignition module that you want?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

msjdgman

Quote from: beenthere on November 21, 2013, 07:36:18 PM
ms
Which part or parts are you after?
In other words, which parts make up the ignition module that you want?

I`m quite sure it`s the PT3797 ignition, or the coil.  I just haven`t pulled the flywheel to get to those parts yet.  Loss of spark on the saw was sudden.  It was running fine last year.  Then this year, just a few weeks ago, I started the saw, it ran fine briefly, then sputtered dead.  No spark now period.
JD 80EV

msjdgman

While I still haven`t made the time to tear this back down, I did manage to snap a couple pics of the old girl. 

JD 80EV

Thank You Sponsors!