iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granberg small log mill

Started by SFires, November 17, 2013, 06:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFires

Hello everybody. I was wondering if anybody had any advice about using a Small log mill from Granberg?? I just ordered me one and other then knowing that I need a nice big saw and it being A LOT of work I'm pretty much ignorant about milling. I'm a 30 year old kid that runs a small hay operation but I really enjoy wood working and thought that having my own small mill would be nice. If anyone could give me a little advice that would be great.
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

YellowHammer

Welcome.
I haven't used mine in awhile but my fond recollections are:
Keep the chain very sharp, touch it up every tank of gas.
Try to cut at a slight angle so you are getting carrot peeler like shavings, and not just sawing straight across the end grain.  It's a lot easier on the saw and cuts a little faster.
Turn the chain oiler all the way up.
Richen the carbs as high as the saw will run, oddly enough, the richer the mixture, the cooler the engine will run.
Don't burn your saw up by just pegging the throttle for extended durations. 
Wear all the safety equipment you have.
Use an aluminum stepladder as your initial guide because it's very straight and easy to handle.
Don't eat a big meal before using it.  After a full day of sawing, food in your stomach will be the last thing you want :D
Rig some sawhorses or something so you are not sawing logs on the ground, but at a more comfortable level.
There are folks on the forum who use them regularly, maybe they will chime in, possibly have better advice.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!