iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Couple pics help ID vine and peach tree issue

Started by SPIKER, November 17, 2013, 03:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

Hi all:

So finally got a few min to post a couple pics that I need some help on.   My Peach Trees had some nice early peaches.   About Jun though the one which had 50 or so peaches in matter of a week or two the peaches all started to rot (turned brown and died.)   the tree it's self looks OK but lost every peach on that tree.   The other tree is 20 or so feet away had a FEW do the same thing.   They are two different varieties of peaches but I can't remember them anymore.    Photo shows progression from about day 3 in front to week 2 in back.    What could cause this would like to get better peaches next year?

Pic of some vines been growing on the edge of the woods that I have cut some out several times photo of leaves and berries on the vine taken few weeks ago.   Act like a strangler vine & so far only crippling a small patch of saplings so I have not decided to totally wipe em out yet.   I want to try and harvest some of the saplings for the twisted nature of them & maybe make a cane or bannister / railing with them.

What kind of vines anyone know correct name>?

Just for fun my PEAR trees were REALLY LOADED this year, branch breakers & tree up-rooters they were so loaded.   these pear are about 20 or so feet from the peach with the issues in pic 1.   one pear was a two hander and close to a LB & half.   Growing so big they were not as SWEET but plenty of em.   Wound up with 2 front end loader bucket fulls took em out by the deer stand ;)

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

samandothers

It may be 'bittersweet'.

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/groundcovervines1/a/bittersweet.htm

It is very pretty with yellow covered berries in fall and then the yellow shells off and a redish orange berry is left. 

However it will crawl up in and kill trees.  It is all over our place in Va.

thecfarm

I would say bitter sweet too. Keep that away from the house.It will grow inside of your house. Very invasive stuff.Even here in Maine it is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

Ok thanks for help so far, the stuff I have IS hard on the trees where it is in one patch maybe 30' dia.   

I think it is maybe one of the Hybrids they mention as it displays properties of BOTH Ornamental and American Bittersweet.   There are no thorns on these relatively soft and smooth can be hacked thru easily.   

Added 2 pics of understory of the vines.

Anyone for thoughts on the Peach Issue?

Mark

mesquite buckeye

Looks like brown rot. Brown rot of stone fruits is caused by the fungus Monolinia fruticola. The fungus is favored by humid/wet conditions and overwinters in the mummies of rotted fruits from the previous season. The disease is best controlled by sanitation, that is, pick up all the rotted and dried up fruits both on the ground or in the tree and burn them or bury them deeply. This disease can affect all the stone fruits : peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums, cherries etc. so all of those fruits in the area need to be cleaned up.  Any twigs that are gumming are infected and need to be pruned off. There are fungicides, especially the sprayable sulfur types that will also help to control the fungus.

Your bittersweet plants will rarely kill a tree, as they are much less aggressive than some of the other vines. If they get too big, you can always cut them up and sell them for fall decorations. In some parts of Missouri, bittersweet has been nearly wiped out by overcollecting. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SPIKER

Not many sites that you can come in post a couple pics and get answers right away.   Looks like I will have to do some cleanup and look for some peach tree fungicide spray...

anyone recommend a good product that is inexpensive?   Something available form home stores or TSC maybe?

Thanks guys

Mark

mesquite buckeye

Just read the labels on the fungicides at any store that sells them. It should list control of brown rot on stone fruits on the label. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Alcranb

Spikes, your peaches suffered from brown rot. You have a couple of choices next year. You can do nothing but chances are you'll be faced with the same problem. Two, you can to a box store and get an off the shelf multi purpose do all, kill all watered down fungicide/pesticide and get snotty results or you can go on your extension service web site. Go to the commercial site and checkout their recommendations.
They'll have a list of fungicide recommendations specific to your disease. They'll also give you timing and amounts to spray as well as what insects to target. The trick in my opinion is to find an ag supply store where you can buy the right stuff.
I'll warn you it's gonna cost! BUT you'll be buying concentrated amounts that will last for years if you keep them dry and unfrozen.
By the looks of your fruit your doing a great job of growing them they just need a little help. Good clean fruit doesn't just happen. It takes a bit of luck and a lot of old fashion hard work and dedication.
The other stuff you have is in fact bittersweet. It's considered an invasive plant in Mass. and a real pita to control. At least the birds and bunnies love it.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Thank You Sponsors!