iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

our cabin progress

Started by yukon cornelius, November 17, 2013, 08:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I wanted to add a few pics of our house project. please don't look to close because it looks better from far away, and at night...! just kidding! im very happy with it!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

or maybe not... I cant seem to get them on here...

yukon cornelius

hookdrvr

Very nice, looking forward to following the progress. I'd like to do something like this once I finish the barn, the deck, the garage, and whatever else the wife comes up with. :)
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

drobertson

Looks like a big one!  Looks great so far,  hope all goes your way,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

KonaKustoms

Looks good!
I am fixing to start my Mill Shed next week and needed a push to get going besides the cold weather. Seems after the frame is up things start getting ya excited to work on the finished product.
Keep us posted with pic's.
Full time Portable Band-Milling & Logging.

Magicman

I am seeing a nice (and big) project in the works.  This will be interesting to watch.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

Stephen1

keep the pics coming, I think the little guy is a lot more help than the big guy. :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dad2FourWI

Looks GREAT!!!

When you build it yourself, it is soooo rewarding... but it does seem to take a loooooong time (at least for us! :) )

Keep the pics coming!!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

yukon cornelius

we are having fun! the last 2 days we had mucho grande winds so we made a new pass into our first valley. its so flippin steep! tomorrow, full speed ahead! im out of logs so we gotta got get more off the hill. better than going to the lumber yard!

thecfarm

About how big? Have fun. I do hope you are getting help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dad2FourWI

Hey Yukon,

Are you using them green???

If so, are you taking shrinkage into consideration?

Thanks,
-Dad2FourWI

dboyt

Wonderful photos!  Thanks for sharing them.  I like that cedar post in the middle.  Gives the house character.  I'm also impressed that you took time to take photos of the PEOPLE involved, and that you're remembering to have a little fun along the way.  As people and the land change, it will be great to look back at how things were back in the fall of 2013.  I always regretted not taking time to get photos when I was building our house!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Piston

That looks like a very fun and VERY rewarding project!  I can't seem to get the projects finished that I don't wanna do so I can get started on the projects that I DO wanna do!

Thanks for sharing.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

yukon cornelius

we are building 24x36 main floor with an upstairs. the up stairs is 12x 24 on each end and 12x12 in the middle that overlooks the center entry. we are doing all of it our self. myself, my wife and 2 boys. we are using green lumber mostly oak but some hickory. it cuts easy and nails easy. we have taken shrinkage into account. we will be doing board and batten inside and out. no sheetrock anywhere in this house. it will be very rustic. just the way we like it! we love that cedar post! it is within a few feet of were it was cut from. it was the first tree we cut for our house site.

today was a great day. we cut a large majority of the rest of our logs for framing. we were only to get 3 up the hill. we have been pulling the logs with the farmall super a but the road to the valley is so steep its all my old f250 can take in 4 low down and back up one log at a time with the arch.

tomorrow more logs up the hill. then maybe milling. we are working really hard to get inside this house before Christmas. it will be unfinished for a while but we don't care! thanks for all the well wishes! we will keep updating.

GDinMaine

It looks like you are going to be VERY busy before this x-mas.  I too like the cedar post in the middle of the house.  Take some pix of the F250 hauling the logs that would be nice to see.
Best of luck and eat a big breakfast!
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Dad2FourWI

WOW! ... before Christmas... us too... three Christmas's ago!!! HA! - and we are still working away "inching" closer to the goal !!

Good luck to you, stay safe... and REMEMBER to enjoy the "journey"!!!!

-Dad2FourWI

yukon cornelius

heres a few pics of yesterday log getting. we milled out 19 floor joist today out of 2 logs. im happy happy happy! tomorrow rain and Friday sleet.....not happy any 

more...

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on November 19, 2013, 09:42:43 AM
WOW! ... before Christmas... us too... three Christmas's ago!!! HA! - and we are still working away "inching" closer to the goal !!

Good luck to you, stay safe... and REMEMBER to enjoy the "journey"!!!!

-Dad2FourWI

if you wanted to help us get us in this house by this Christmas, i could help you guys get in yours by next christmas :D

Dad2FourWI

LOL!!!!

Hey, we are still using a "two-holer".... and with the six of us, well sometimes there can be a bit of a "line-up"!!!!

:)

We are so close to having "real plumbing" that we can taste it.... well, I mean, in a good way!!!! HA!

Keep us posted as to your progress and we will do the same - but chances are you will beat us "slow-pokes"!!!!

-Dad2FourWI

yukon cornelius

I haven't been on in a while and thought I would update on our cabin. we made it in a week before Christmas!!! it has been nice! outside is just plywood sheathing and interior is just insulated stud walls but we are in, warm and happy happy happy! my 2 year old told me the other day that he loves the new house, its a really really nice house, he says! we just barely made it in time before the weather would have shut us down. the same weekend we had lots of snow and its been pretty cold ever since. I would like to thank everyone on here for all the advice and encouragement. we will have a ton of interior and exterior siding to mill this spring and summer. back to working on other projects to try and bring in some income to keep our operation up and running!

Klicker

Congrats  on getting in. We moved in without the inside finished we called it the pink and plastic look
2006 LT 40 HD

47sawdust

Your log arch is way cool,alloy wheels to boot.Nice touch,great pictures,have fun,be good a little.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 28, 2014, 12:55:41 PM
Your log arch is way cool,alloy wheels to boot.Nice touch,great pictures,have fun,be good a little.

thanks! it works well! just junk I had layin around slapped together with no major modifications. its amazing how god has always given me all I have ever needed!

Thank You Sponsors!