iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Saws

Started by brent smith, November 17, 2013, 04:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brent smith

I currently own 5 Stihl saws from 011 to 066... 4 of which have the new style gas and oil caps (which I hate) I've been told Stihl went to that style cap because Joe Homeowner couldn't be trusted to carry the adjustment tool with him that was needed to loosen the old fail proof caps... I am so fed up with these new caps failing and not staying closed that I am ready to jump ship after 35 years of faithful Stihl use... anyone have anything to offer in the way of tricks to keep those caps from failing...
Stihl 011 025 026 066 Ford New Holland 30HP Yanmar 50HP

ladylake

Sure a lot of complaints about those caps, you'd think Stihl would come out with different ones.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Woodpulp

I don't get it.  I have the "flippy" caps on my MS261 and Stihl BR600 backpack blower and have never had a problem with them.  Just need to take an extra second or two to make sure they're seated correctly.  Last I saw, Husky was going to a hybrid cap that screws in but doesn't require a tool to loosen/tighten, which is probably a good compromise. 
Chris

Stihl 012AVQ, MS261; Husky 555; Kubota BX25, Airens 27-ton splitter.

lone wolf

They do break , either the ethanol swells them up or your helpers break them. If you have them long enough and use them often you will see failure. Not to mention a cap that opens up and dumps oil or gas on you!

Stihl should have made them just for the homeowner saws and left the pro saws alone. Let the homeowners deal with them.
7900                                                               461
200T

gspren

I have 3 Stihl saws and each has a different style cap. Yesterday I ran and gassed all 3 and I like the caps on the old 041 Farm Boss, just use your fingers and if you over-fill the oil just screw on the cap and the extra leaks out on a block of wood that I'll eventually burn. The flippy caps on the 261 are OK if you never over-fill, and you keep clean, and really pay attention when reinstalling, I've only oiled my boot once  from not getting it on correct. The 044 needs the scrench which I keep handy.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

MidWestTree

Will those scrench caps fit a newer model saw, if even available?

lone wolf

No if they did we would not be talking about the problem. :)
7900                                                               461
200T

msjdgman

The little 250 was my first Stihl, and at first I hated these darned caps.  Eventually I got used to them and don`t have any complaints about them now.  The oil cap on that 250 did want to stick in the locked position when removed on occasion, until my son borrowed it and broke it.  We put a new one in and end of issue.
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

AKDoug

Your only choice is going to be to change brands. There really isn't any interest on Stihl's part to change back or redesign the caps. Honestly, I sell very few replacement flippy caps in my shop. I own several brands of saws and have no issues with the flippies. Hell, my Cat backhoe uses a similar style fuel cap.

beenthere

I hope they keep the flippy caps.
I like them and have had no trouble at all with them.
I didn't mind the screw on caps either, but didn't like the need to use the scrench to open and close that type.

So I am wondering what the problem is with the few that can't get them to work.  ::)

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

I use Stihl saws with these caps six days a week. Average is at least eight fill-ups a day. Zero problems with these caps.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

trapper

Once I learned to remember the position of the cap  when i remove them I dont have any problem.  .
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

brent smith,welcome to the forum. Some members don't have the patience that most members have.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnG28

On my 3 saws with them I only had an issue with the fuel cap of my 361. Always wanted to not close. It eventually broke an d since replacing has had no issues. I believe some early ones were recalled.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

AKDoug

Quote from: JohnG28 on November 17, 2013, 07:12:22 PM
On my 3 saws with them I only had an issue with the fuel cap of my 361. Always wanted to not close. It eventually broke an d since replacing has had no issues. I believe some early ones were recalled.
Flippy caps on just about everything other than chainsaws were recalled. On the chainsaws they did make a new cap with an alignment mark and they were phased in.  I actually sell very few of these caps.

brent smith

Quote from: lone wolf on November 17, 2013, 08:42:05 AM
They do break , either the ethanol swells them up or your helpers break them. If you have them long enough and use them often you will see failure. Not to mention a cap that opens up and dumps oil or gas on you!

Stihl should have made them just for the homeowner saws and left the pro saws alone. Let the homeowners deal with them.
I couldn't agree more about leaving the pro models alone... For you guys that have them and have had no problems, consider yourself lucky... I'm a very meticulous person who takes the extra time to pay attention to the details of how these caps work, and what position they come off in, therefore what position they need to go back on in... my position is that one shouldn't have to be that careful or pay that much attention when dealing with a chainsaw gas cap... I've threatened Sthil in my mind for years over these silly caps and after joining this site and viewing the ported saws from wicked saws the time has come to put up or shut up for me... Sorry Stihl "you lose" I'm gone, I'm one of the ones who "can" be trusted to carry a tool... Craigslist here comes 5 chainsaws and Wicked Saw I'll call you soon... Good day Gentlemen...

beenthere

That'll straight'n 'em out. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jhellwig

Take a deep breath and calm down when you install them.  They only break if you force them when they aren't in the right place. Try not to overfill and gently twist the cap till it falls in the hole.  If you do over fill just gently push the cap down and let the excess oil bubble out before you lock it.

I like the flippy caps.  It is nice not having to use the scrench to get the caps off.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

Yatt

Flippy caps is one of the reasons I switched to Huskies XP's and have never looked back.

The other day  I picked up a MS362 and MS261 and couldn't help wondering why anybody would want a saw this bulky/heavy let alone the anti vibe system. ::)
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

brent smith

beenthere, I'm under no illusion that I'm going to "straighten Stihl out", to many homeowners out there to sell their flippies to... and jhellwig, I couldn't be any more calm and breathing just fine when dealing with your beloved flippies, you guys that think the only thing that goes wrong with those caps is pilot error are dead wrong... its a mechanical cap made by humans and both fail... this whole thing boils down to homeowner and pro, if you make your living or run your saws all day then carrying the tool to adjust the chain tension with you is a must anyway and you would never be without the tool to loosen the "foolproof" gas and oil caps... Its really that simple. 

ely

I hated the flippy caps when they came out, I broke several of them, I do now pay more attention to the caps and how they are oriented, and I have less problems with them also... my fix to the problem of breaking the flippy caps is after several trips to the shop to purchase another one... I bought seven of them at once, then I have not broken one since. keep in the glove boxes of several trucks just in case.

SawTroll

Quote from: lone wolf on November 17, 2013, 09:17:13 AM
No if they did we would not be talking about the problem. :)

Likely true!  :)
Information collector.

H 2 H

A wise man once said

"You have to be smarter then the flippy cap"
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

JohnG28

Brent, of all your Stihl saws listed that you have I don't see any that would have flippy caps?  ??? Either way, if you decide you are selling all your Stihls send me a pm, I like em. ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

At the Stihl dealer today, and looking at their blower. Had a fuel cap that unscrewed.
So...
Tried it and realized how much easier and quicker the flippy cap came off (for me). Just sayin.....
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!