iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372xp or 562xp

Started by Maine logger88, November 16, 2013, 07:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

Looking to buy a new saw for general cutting and limbing my 2171 jred and my 365 both are getting quite tired and I'm not sure which is a better saw for me what is you guys opinions?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ZeroJunk

I would buy the 372xp myself.  I want to see the reliability of AutoTune year in and year out, who is able to repair it, and what those repairs may cost before I sink a lot of money in it.

thecfarm

I did not know the 372 are still being made. I myself don't care for all that fancy stuff. Just another thing to go wrong.If the 372 came without,I would buy that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

Yeh true it looks to be a good saw on Paper but that doesn't always work good in the bush and I already know how good the 372s are cause my 2171 has been awesome! I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide

Maine logger88

As far as I know the 372 is still being made according to my dealer

thecfarm

I did forget to mention I have a 372,probably 6 years old now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

Yeh they are great saws for sure definitely tried and true! Now on another note can I upload pics from my phone as I don't have a computer I have a few but haven't figured out how yet

Dave Shepard

I don't think the new 372 is the same as the old 372XP.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

Yeh they have the xtorq motor but the saws look just like the older ones and they aren't auto tune

jwilly3879

Have two 372xp's one is 2003 and the other is 2005 both run still great only problem I've had was a couple of bad switches, I'm still running a 1993 272xp that has a new p+c and a j-red 670 from the late 80's I bought at an auction for $100. Haven't tried the new technology yet. The local Husky dealer isn't to fond of the autotune models but he is old school.

SawTroll

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 16, 2013, 07:43:00 PM
As far as I know the 372 is still being made according to my dealer

It is (the X-torq or "strato" version that is, it isn't exactly the same saw as the original 372xp) - but that could change any time, as the replacement for both the 372xp and the 576 has been tested for quite a while.
Information collector.

ehp

by the sounds of it your a logger like me and I run both these saws all day long , if your going to leave them stock and cutting hardwood any bigger than say 18 inches and your being chased by a skidder then get the 372 , if your cutting pine or smaller hardwood then the 562 is a nice saw to run, the 562 stock will cut just about any tree out there but when time counts the 372 has more balls in the cut

Maine logger88

I have a 272 aswell there a good old saw! I'm kinda interested in the new technology but I'm not sure if I wanna spend 750 on a saw that hasn't proven itself yet

Maine logger88

So there coming out with a saw to replace the 372 I wonder what model that will be? I cut a variety of wood anything from small spruce and fir up to pine and oak in the 40+ inch range depending on the lot I'm currently cutting hemlock 18 to 32 inch maybe I should buy a 562 for the smaller stuff and a 372 for the larger of course when I get into the real big stuff I dig out the  jred 2186

ehp

I have been running 562's for about 18 months , nice slim saw for cutting softwood and yes everyone will tell you that it can run up to a 28 inch bar but most of those people cut very little and donot have to buy bars steady cause the saw does not oil enough , I find in white oak a 20 inch bar is about its limit , red oak is not quite as bad but your bar will still be pretty dry running a 24 inch bar , I cut mostly oak here .    Donot hold your breathe on waiting on the new 572 any tome soon, was told maybe the beginning of next year but not sure on that either

Maine logger88

Yeh I mostly run shorter bars 24 is my longest but that usually stays on the 2186

Scoter

I'm curious what a 572 would offer over the 576.

There isn't a huge room for improvement IMHO. Trim some weight and bulk and update the engine management a slight amount (the AT on the 576 is really quite good).

But then plenty of folks still prefer old saws to the latest and greatest so I don't suspect that will change all of a sudden even with fuel injection or electric.

MEloggah

i run both on a daiky basis. for soft wood i feel there is not enough difference to justify carring the extra weight after the tree hits the ground. even in big white pine and hemlock 38" or better it seems only a few seconds differance. i run 20"  bars on all my stuff so the comparison is pretty equal.

in big hardwood there is no comparison...the 372 handsdown smokes the littler saw.  much more torque.

a couple things ive noticed with the little saw is if your cutting dirty wood and round your corners it shows up much more the the bigger saw natraly. and i dont think the 562  is as good on fuel ss some claim. i have to fuel up twice a hitch in hemlock vs once with my 372. it could be better on gas by volume i supose cuz i belive it has a smaller tank but it sure is a pain to fill up constantly.

celliott

You say your 2171 and 365 are getting tired. If it was me, I wouldn't buy a new saw, I would totally rebuild both of those saws and keep running them. Don't know if it would be alot cheaper, but might save you some headaches with the new saws. JMO.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SawTroll

Quote from: Scoter on November 17, 2013, 11:49:23 AM

Nobody that know anything about that is allowed to tell about it, but remember that the 576 is a first generation "strato", with the first generation AT.....

It would be logic if one new model replaces both the 372 and the 576.
Information collector.

Maine logger88

MEloggah how big of a twitch RU cutting   must be around 2 2.5 crd cause that's about what I get out of my 2171 in average hemlock. Celliott I have thought of doing that as well but the casings are getting broke up and some bolts won't stay in anymore and there's nothing like a new saw

Scoter

Quote from: SawTroll on November 17, 2013, 03:43:52 PM
Quote from: Scoter on November 17, 2013, 11:49:23 AM

Nobody that know anything about that is allowed to tell about it, but remember that the 576 is a first generation "strato", with the first generation AT.....

It would be logic if one new model replaces both the 372 and the 576.
It wouldn't take too much to force their hand. If they don't let the cat out of the bag soon many will start assuming they are having problems with them (whether it's true or not). If it's just an issue of clearing old stock that doesn't show much loyalty to the customer. It's a corporate world either way.

ehp

I find my ported 562 pretty good of fuel , I can cut easy to hitches for my 230A and have fuel left , right now I'm cutting alot of bigger nice red pine and can cut 10 trees easy per tank and 4 trees is a real heavy pull for the cummins , I got lots of power just not enough weight

ehp

from what a Little Birdie told me their having trouble with the 572 just like the 562 had in the beginning and their not letting the 572 out until all problems are fixed , If any of you guys are running the new 365/372xt and all of a sudden your saw starts acting up like its getting lean, its the fuel line , everyone of my 365s has done the same thing , the fuel line gets a hole in it where it comes out of the tank

celliott

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 17, 2013, 05:06:35 PM
MEloggah how big of a twitch RU cutting   must be around 2 2.5 crd cause that's about what I get out of my 2171 in average hemlock. Celliott I have thought of doing that as well but the casings are getting broke up and some bolts won't stay in anymore and there's nothing like a new saw

Well that would nix that idea  ::) Buy a couple dead 372's for the cases and swap parts? I'd do that just cause I like working on them  :)
Considered a new Dolmar pro-size saw?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!