iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is how it starts..

Started by mmartone, November 16, 2013, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Just a little rust removal here and there, I couldnt stop Jack from pecking at places that needed his attention. We primed everything with Rustoleum rusty metal primer, pretty good stuff, mix it up well. Got eveything lined up and squared up, tried to cut a little cedar log and the dang Kawi kept falling on its face in the cut. Guess its mad at me for letting it sit around so long!

Also added a blade stopper, safety last...

I dont think theres room in there for another lift chain   :'(

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

I understand your reasoning, but that blade stopper would not work for me.  It would clog with sawdust and bark too easily.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I think he'll find that out on the first log.  Good idea but needs way farther spacing.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on November 16, 2013, 07:01:52 PM
I understand your reasoning, but that blade stopper would not work for me.  It would clog with sawdust and bark too easily.   :-\

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mmartone

We shall find out, its just held in with 3 bolts.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Chuck White

A better blade stopper might be like what I did on my mill!

Just drill 2 holes up through from the bottom of the blade housing, out near the sawdust exit, clear of the blade and blade wheel, and put a couple of bolts down through the holes and install a nut on top and bottom of the blade wheel housing, letting the bolts stick up a couple of inches!

Text edited:  Thanks Lynn  :-[
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

I was wondering what the 3 fingers were at my sawdust exit. broken blade stopper. It clogs up on the odd occasion and I gave thought to cutting them off :-\. Guess I will leave them in there.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Dave Shepard

I had to use a torch to get mine out of the chute. Kinda messed up the paint. :D I have this big red button on my remote control. If anybody walks anywhere near the mill head, I push the button and everything stops. Then I start the educational process. :D It's the sawyers responsibility to make sure that nobody goes near the sawdust chute. Nobody near the chute means nobody gets hurt. Besides, I've had bands come out through the fingers anyway.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

To remove them, does it take a torch or will a Sawzall with a metal blade work?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

I had to take the blade stoppers out of the chute on my mill. They also stop cedar and cypress bark, plugs up the chute and bogs down the sawdust blower. There is a sheet metal chute there that goes to the blower. I have had broken blade punch a hole through the sheet metal..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

That ducting I used for the sawdust was pretty thick. Blade punched right through it.

I suppose I should have added a disclaimer when I said I removed the fingers in my chute. I don't recommend that anyone does it. I think there is enough potential for something to come flying out of the mill all the way around the mill head that I won't allow anyone anywhere near it when it's running or I'm turning logs etc.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Stephen1

The things we see on this site...
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Peter Drouin

I'm going so fast through the log the blades bends up in the log when they break. I have never had a blade come out in all the years of cutting.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 20, 2013, 06:59:02 AM
I'm going so fast through the log the blades bends up in the log when they break. I have never had a blade come out in all the years of cutting.  ;D 

I've never had one exit the sawdust chute while actually sawing a log, but one day I was running it up for a while without sawing, and the blade broke and completely exited the mill and layed right out straight about 6 feet from the mill!

Of course then, the next thing I did was to install the blade stopper bolts!  I had problems with pieces of bark catching on the 2 bolts and clogging the chute so I removed one of them and left the one that was actually lined up with the center of the blade and I've had a couple of blades break since then, and the one bolt still catches the blade just fine!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!