iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fiskar or not?

Started by bullet20, November 16, 2013, 09:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet20

im looking to buy a splitting axe and was wondering  your take on the x25 and x27 fiskars   . also do you think you have something  better ?  I used a x25   and was pretty impressed with it . thanks

Philbert

Have both. Like both.

X27 has a longer handle and narrower head profile. X25 has a shorter handle (make sure you split on a stump or block) and a blunter head.

Preference could be how you split (long swing or shorter push) and the types ad lengths of wood.

Philbert

Philbert

(duplicate message posted)

Rob5073

I have the X27. Good axe,  easy to sharpen.

Yatt

I have a couple X27's, they are excellent.

The X25 made it feel like my feet were in danger and I got rid of it. :o
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

H 2 H

X25 when using a chopping block

X27 when splitting on the ground

Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

turnkey

I have the X27 purchased right after they came out.  I didn't buy an X25 due to the short handle.  the X27 is an amazing tool!  There are two tools that I would be the last ones I let go after my saws, X27 and a hookeroon.

Harry K

Buck

some of the best tools ever made. dont hit your leg or foot.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

coxy

Quote from: Buck on November 16, 2013, 07:22:53 PM
some of the best tools ever made. dont hit your leg or foot.
would not hert if ya had safety shoes and pants ;) :D :D ;D

bobby s

Bought an x27 a few months back and love it.

kmorgan

I got a TrueTemper from Lowes and it had the wings on the sides and it is great. I have not owned a Fiskar yet.

Windy_Acres

Im not sure on the model numbers, but I have 3 different length Fiskars. Found I split wood 3x faster than with my 3pt splitter. I love them. Also bought two of the Fiskars sharpeners made for the axles.

I noticed the other day, at the farm store, the old style axe is gone, the new one has a black head on it. I think it said something about being "ergonomic". Dont know if they actually changed anything and its just marketing, or if its something new. In passing, just looked at it as I walked by, nothing jumped out at me.

Edit , x5 x15 x27.. was just in the shop..

Philbert

Fiskars makes many different models and has changed some of their styles through the years.  They also sell some models in Europe that they don't sell United States, so it can be confusing.

In addition to their splitting axes I also have a couple of their chopping axes that I really like for taking with me into the woods for limbing and setting wedges.

You can also sometimes find these sold under the Gerber name.

Philbert

bullet20

kool I was looking at the gerber branded axes,  and was wondering about it . thanks

jhellwig

Arent they the same thing a a fiskar.  They look the same. 
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

Piston

I have two Fiskars, the X17 which I use to split small pieces into kindling once in a while as I pull wood from my stack, and the X25 which I use for splitting when I don't have enough of a "pile" to go through the trouble of getting the 3 point hitch splitter hooked up.

I really like the axes and they both work very well for splitting, almost too well, you wonder why these axes split so seemingly easy compared to others you've used!

However, the reason I bought the X25 is because I thought the X27 would be too long for my 5'9" body. It's just the opposite, the X25 feels way too short and I've come dangerously close to hitting my foot when I sliced through a small round near the edge of the block I was splitting on as if it wasn't there.

I'm asking for the X27 for Christmas.  ;D. Fiskars makes a Very nice product.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

turnkey

I was in WalMart the other day and came across a display of Fiskars.  Mostly pruning tools but it did get me to drooling.

Been using the X27 for several years now and you'd have to fight me to take it away.

Harry K

Yatt

When I first got the Fiskars X27 I thought I died and went to heaven, now I have a hydraulic splitter and now not so much. :D
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
Speeco 28ton splitter

cheeves

I've been splitting wood for a long time! I'm 6'2" and have a very long back, ideal for splitting! One of my favorite things to do in the world!! Keeps me in shape in the winter!
Have a x27 and love it, but also have a few other mauls I'm just as fond of!! Secret is having a shape like a V, sharp so the head sinks in the wood and separates the grains!!
Had an old 7# Stanley that was ripped off last winter during the blizzard that shut down our power for a week! Maul was close to perfect!! Found 4 old rusty mauls from Oregon on Craigslist that are very close! After a lot of work on them am a happy camper again!!
Keep on Splittin'!!!

CTYank

Most mauls people compare fiskars tools to are IMHO badly malformed, of sub-standard steel. I've used a couple for years. If you try Wetterlings, Mueller, or Husqvarna-branded mauls side-by-side with fiskars, I'm betting which you'll prefer, just on the basis of performance.

Durability is a whole 'nother story. The above-named mauls are made of much better steel.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Yatt

Quote from: CTYank on November 19, 2013, 05:57:42 PM
Most mauls people compare fiskars tools to are IMHO badly malformed, of sub-standard steel. I've used a couple for years. If you try Wetterlings, Mueller, or Husqvarna-branded mauls side-by-side with fiskars, I'm betting which you'll prefer, just on the basis of performance.

Durability is a whole 'nother story. The above-named mauls are made of much better steel.

You kind of lost me. :-\

How can one question "durability" when Fiskars has a lifetime warrantee with no questions asked.  How do you improve on that?

I have gotten free replacement parts from Fiskars on lopping shears.  The replacement cutting edge on this shear is used in my orchard and probably has in a season the amount of use a normal person could see in 2 decades.
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
Speeco 28ton splitter

Thank You Sponsors!