iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

opening day

Started by coxy, November 16, 2013, 09:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

well went out saw 2 a little buck and a  doe  tons of shooting hope every one has a good of hunting   8) 8) 8) 8) :) :) :)

Corley5

Killed a 3 point meat buck last night.  Took him to the processor before we took any pics.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

Mine is already in the freezer, a 6-7" spikehorn!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bullet20

Quote from: Corley5 on November 16, 2013, 06:09:03 PM
Killed a 3 point meat buck last night.  Took him to the processor before we took any pics.
they are always easier at night lol    still eat the same

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on November 16, 2013, 06:37:18 PM
Mine is already in the freezer, a 6-7" spikehorn!  :)
we have that stupid 3point rule :-\ :'( :snowball:

rbhunter

My wife took a small eight point this morning shortly after daylight.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Cattoon

My 14 yo son and I watched the greenfield behind my shop today, had 2 wee ones come out, and he had no desire to shoot them, we had discussed not shooting a small one or a doe with yearlings, although they did get heavily scrutinized through the scope. It was youth weekend and antler or non were legal. Oh well we have till jan 31 to pick out a couple.

Rancher

As many here are just starting their seasons we are having the last day of the last season in this unit of Colorado. Normally this is one of the best units in the state for elk but this year wasn't normal. The weather changed their habits and as a result the harvest has been low. This is the last day but I doubt there will be any hunters out today. We had a few inches of snow last night but the wind also came so we have whiteouts here yet this morning. Not a total loss today. There is always NASCAR and football today.

Dave
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

jdtuttle

I harvested a little 6 pt next to last day of archery, my daughter Mak harvested a big 6 pt opening day. Finished cutting them up last night. Going to make about 60 lbs of summer sausage in smoker & have lots of roast & back straps in freezer.
Have a great day

celliott

Girlfriend shot her first deer VT's opening day, 119lb 3 point, she was sure excited  8)
Then Sunday I shot what appears to be the twin to that deer, a 132lb 3 point. Racks real similar.
Can't eat the antlers, and they all look the same skun out and cut up!
Meat buck as Corley said  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Weekend_Sawyer

Opening day for gun in WV is Monday the 25th.  I'll be up doing some bow hunting before that. The one I put in the freezer at the beginning of MD bow is half gone!

Good luck, stay safe.
Take good shots, leave large gut piles!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

With extremely high winds all weekend and even tornado watches out,  I heard very few shots.  Today was clear and calm but I still didn't hear any shots.  Missouri is protecting bucks with less than 8 points.  Limit one per customer on those with 8 or more.   Pretty much open season on does and fawns.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

I think it helps to selectively take out a doe once in a while!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on November 19, 2013, 07:43:32 AM
I think it helps to selectively take out a doe once in a while!
the problem we have here is there is so many does and not enough permits but this wonderful state will give out 20-30 permits to farmers to kill them off  :-\   y not give or should I say sell more at 10 bucks a pop to people      some of the farmers I know shoot them throw them away don't wont anyone one there property because some people  did the wrong thing by shooting the bucks  >:(  I don't blame the farmer I would do the same thing       stay safe and happy hunting ;D ;D 8)

Magicman

Our 1st rifle deer season opens Saturday but I will probably be here being Pat's nurse.  That is OK because the real activity is the week before and the week after Christmas.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Yup, this is the first "Opening Day" that I have missed in well over 50 years.  My opening day hunt was always kinda strange.  I have gone to the same sidehill for many years.  Just sit beside an old tree and relax.  Maybe see a deer or maybe not.  Didn't matter.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

This is the 50th opening day for me. It was not the coldest, but I lasted about 2 hours in the 11 deg weather with 18 mph winds gusting to 28 (they say).
Saw one deer move through before shooting hours started and no shooting within a mile.
Some year, I may build a stand with some protection from the wind... maybe.  ;D

I'm still warming up to get over the chills.

S'pose to be 3 deg (real temp, not feels-like) in the morning. I may just go to Church and pray..  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

m wood

Yup,  17 deg in morning and 20 mph out of the west tomorrow morn.  Gonna feel like 3 or 4 they say.  guess I'll go for a while...at least I should be by myself out there :D.  buddy took big doe THIS morn and I saw zip!
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

trapper

beenthere I lasted 3 1/2 hours in the tree and didnt see anything but squirls.
Sat in my wooden blind with a heater in the afternoon.  Still didnt see anything.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

Trapper
You did good, and the only way to know is to be out there.

If I had some wind protection, I could have stuck it out longer.
Or if I'd be seeing some deer movement, that would help keep the circulation going too.
Had neither, and has taken most of the day to "thaw" out.

But have several in the freezer now, thanks to my son hunting with me for a week before last, and really no room for more. Getting the trim ready for sausage makings tomorrow. Five deer makes quite a pile of meat.

Snow coming Monday and Tuesday looking good for temps, wind, and some snow. Looking forward to Tuesday now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

coxy

glad I am not the only one seeing squat  :)

MrPete

Don't feel bad coxy!  I spent the whole week out there and didn't see a thing either.  But the peace and relaxation makes it all worth it.  Good Luck!

m wood

this little fella allowed me to get out of the 4 degree weather this morning.  2 hours now and my thighs are still just warming up.  This one's my jerky animal to give away for christmas gifts!
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

thecfarm

He looks good enough for Christmas presents.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

yeah,  i figured the mailing adresses would start rolling in when I posted that comment :D
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Magicman

Mail it to your friends.  Fax it to the others.   :)    :D

coxy

that's funny magicman      saw bear tracks to night in the snow think it was headed for the junipers for the winter wish I could have seen it  :'(

m wood

aww Lynn, I got more new friends thru this forum than I ever met in person (east of the Mississippi).  This baby will get back west smoked, dried and seasoned to all my family in the BEAUTIFUL Pacific Northwest.  Dad just had a mini heart attack and Mom has been in and out of hospital with knee issues.  They havn't hunted in 10 or 15 years anyway, but they enstilled in me the love of the outdoors and its wonderful bounty! 

BTW, dads prognosis is awesome and he was out of hospital in 48 hrs.  Mom is sounding better on the phone than she has in 6 months.  My blessing of a sis is right next door and gives of herself more than any parent could wish for.  Wish I could get out more often but the next trip is scheduled for April.
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Woodcarver

Got a buck about 10:00 opening morning.  Big bodied deer, but a puny set of antlers.  I was so cold I tagged it and walked back to the house to warm up for a few minutes before I field dressed it.  No picture, so danged cold I didn't think about a camera.  Rack was too small to warrant a picture anyway.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

ely

my middle son shot a young toe head sat. eve. he always has a good time.

coxy

I saw more deer today then I saw all season just had to go some other place and when I did my neighbor shot a 9 pointer  :'( :'( :snowball: :snowball: >:( :'(  good for him :)

Thank You Sponsors!