iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest Education Test Question

Started by Steve_McDonald, May 22, 2004, 09:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_McDonald

Here is a question to test your knowledge on early Michigan Forestry Education. Name the famous School that had its summer campus on Lake Dayhuff in Wexford County, Michigan.

Steve_McDonald

I will add a hint and a photo. The hint is the School operated near Cadillac, Michigan during the summers from 1910 through 1914, after which the school was disbanded.

Forestry Students Between Lectures 1910

Steve_McDonald

The School offered an advanced degree as a "Forest Engineer". The School was graciously hosted by the Cummer-Diggins Company.

Dinner Call for Forestry Students Creates a Stampede at Cummer-Diggins Camp 7

Ron Scott

~Ron

Steve_McDonald

No,  not the University of Michigan. The School that used to have its summer campus near Cadillac had a forestry program that was normally a one year program that turned out foresters. Exceptionally gifted students that stayed in the program for two years were graduated as forest engineers.

Forestry Students Running Grade for Logging Railroad near Cadillac in 1910

Steve_McDonald

The founder of the School was one of the historic handful of men who helped bring about the birth of forestry in America. With Fernow and Pinchot, the founder was one of the few professionally trained foresters in America in the 1890's.

All Aboard- Forestry Students Head for Cadillac for Saturday Night

Ron Scott

It has to be Dr. Carl Schenk and the Biltmore Forestry School. The buildings may have thrown me off as I thought that their first school building was a railroad box car.

It was here in Cadillac at that time and hosted by Cummer and Diggins.
~Ron

Steve_McDonald

Yes, it is the Biltmore Forest School. The School actually had several different locations near Cadillac, Michigan including Selma Township in 1910 and Colfax Township in 1911. Both years it occupied Cummer & Diggins Logging Camps.It finally built its own buildings at Lake Dayhuff in 1912. Schenck's recollections in his book are slightly off, my info is based on the Hardwood Record articles which were written and published at the time. All locations are now within the Manistee National Forest.
The box car was actually the School office in 1910 and that image may be viewed at the Forest History Society's web site.

Cook at Cummer Diggins Camp

SwampDonkey

I thought I'de add a link to the history of forestry at the Univeristy of New Brunswick, where I graduated in 1993. :)

http://www.unbf.ca/forestry/history/history.htm
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!