iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress Logs

Started by TxLogger, February 03, 2002, 05:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxLogger

I'm in the market for some cypress logs.  Need to saw 1x6 siding.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  When scaling do you only scale the heart or the whole log?  
2.  What defects are there in the hearts, if any?
3.  Does anyone who buys cypress know current log prices or can you provide some examples?

Any info would be great.  By the way anyone in East Texas/Western Louisianna got cypress logs for sale?

Tom

JoeyLowe

Hi Tom:

Try Michael Mastin at Curly Woods in McKinney, Texas.  He can be reached at mdm@curlywoods.com.  This guy travels all over the south looking for good deals and last I heard he had several Cypress logs that he was trying to get rid of.  Tell him that I sent ya and he will say "Who?".  :D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Texas Ranger

A guy here in Polk County has 3-4 loads of decent cypress logs for sale.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Hey Tom,

I was waiting for someone local to you to answer your questions but here goes.

Those cypress logs bought in N. Fl. and S. Ga.  where I roam are seldom scaled but the whole log is scaled when they do it.  Most cypress is weighed and purchased by the ton around here.  I think it is because most of it is sold to the Mulch mills.  Saw logs are "culled" and sawed, the rest is ground up.  When logs are scarce, everything is ground up.  >:(

Defect in cypress basically is "ring shake".  These logs are shook naturally by the wind or are handled roughly by loggers.
You will find it to be quite common.

Logs that have been on the yard for 3 weeks or better will be difficult to saw because the sap wood dries out and becomes difficult to cut.  Blades don't last long cutting it either.  I would consider logs with dry sapwood as having a defect from the sawyers point of view.  

Heart rot in the stump is common and will generate a void that runs 3 to 10-feet up the tree.

Woodpecker holes are common and are the size of your fist or bigger and can go to the center of the tree.  These  holes ruin the cut unless you have a customer that is interested in rustic material and you can sell them as such.

Peck is a defect if you are cutting siding or fence boards but if separated and sold as Pecky Cypress it will demand a higher price than the clear to most markets.    

Thank You Sponsors!