iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice regarding 4 way wedges

Started by Yatt, November 14, 2013, 10:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yatt

I recently got a Speeco 28 ton splitter, works great. 8)

It's easy on fuel and the 5 position choke on the B/S starts very easily.

Most of the wood I split is large, 16" - 30" rounds.

So is going to a 4 way wedge worth it?

The only beef I have about the splitter is the existing wedge should be taller. :'(
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

CRThomas

Quote from: Yatt on November 14, 2013, 10:36:38 AM
I recently got a Speeco 28 ton splitter, works great. 8)

It's easy on fuel and the 5 position choke on the B/S starts very easily.

Most of the wood I split is large, 16" - 30" rounds.

So is going to a 4 way wedge worth it?

The only beef I have about the splitter is the existing wedge should be taller. :'(
A four way is handy but not all the time. But if you have to split wood to burn in your burner the size of rail road ties a four way would work the area I live in if two men can pick a chunk of firewood its to small they burn batters and tires to something else here

Yatt

Quote from: CRThomas on November 14, 2013, 03:54:00 PM
they burn batters and tires to something else here

Ahh.........Sorry you totally lost me there. ???
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
Speeco 28ton splitter

thecfarm

I may have burned a few porkypine and wood chucks in my OWB but not batteries or tires go in mine.
I added on to my wedge,about 6 inches,than I had to add on to the stop 6 inches in height. But I split ALOT of big stuff that is odd shaped too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

This is something that I had built. It just goes over the splitter.
This shows it by itself.

This one shows it over the splitter.

I have posted about this before. I have some more pictures in my gallery.
Now that I have added on,I can no longer use it. But I don't split much small stuff now. I use to use the splitter for an old cook stove. I did not like much bigger than a softball in size for that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Oliver1655

Very nice fabrication job CFarm.  You might consider adding a 1/2" of flat vertically to the front edge.  i will explain why below.

Yatt,  I have a 4 way on my splitter & use it for 95% of my splitting. (Elm, hedge, oak, locust, ...) 

A couple of things I have learned by trial/error & from talking with other folks who have built their own splitters:
    1 - On the horizontal wings, only bevel/sharpen the upper edge.  If you sharpen the lower edge it will force the lower split downward causing it to want to wedge between the wedge & the beam/out-feed tables.  If you look at Cfarm's photo, he used 1/2" for his horizontal wings.  This is what I use.  However I would not sharpen it like he did for the above reason.  There are lots of wedged made like he did his. I am not saying it will not work, just that I feel the way I mentioned above will work better.
    2 - Have the vertical edge stick out around 2" in front of the horizontal wings.  This way the split occurs in 2 stages & is less stress on the splitter & decrease the risk of it not splitting.
     3 - Knife edges split better.  To clarify:  A - It takes less effort for it to enter the wood.  B - It can shear through gnarly pieces decreasing stress on splitter & less chance of it hanging up.

I don't have any pictures of my wedge system on this computer to post I will be making a thread about my splitter this weekend which will have photos.  If you look at images of the wood processor wedge systems you will notice they all use "knife" edges.

Is it worth having a 4 way wedge option, you bet!
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Yatt

288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
Speeco 28ton splitter

thecfarm

I should've said that I did not make that wedge. My fabrication skills are not that good. What you say does make sense about the vertical part on the front and the angles too.

Thank You Sponsors!