iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Sayings…...

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Quote from: peterpaul on January 12, 2016, 07:46:16 AM
Here are a few of my favorites

"If you never do what other men call foolish, you'll only know what foolish men know"

"Perfection is the enemy of good" - this one gets me when I try to improve something that is workable and then ruin it by trying to make it better and then wasting time fixing it.

Regarding income tax preparation, a old accountant told me long ago, "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered"

"You catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar", my favorite boss told me this regarding dealing with a difficult customer.

"Always take the high road"

There is a german saying that I like regarding people that make "much ado about nothing" or blows things out of proportion, goes something like "he's one that drills very small holes in very thin wood"

"Good better best, never let it rest, until the good is better and the better's best"

"A rolling stone gathers no moss"

"A bird in hand is worth two in the bush"

Welcome to the Forum! You are officially the Forumite closest to me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

thought this was funny  my boots are as worth less as tire chains on a bull dozer  ;D

peterpaul

Quote from: Roxie on January 12, 2016, 07:58:48 AM
I like those, and welcome to the forum Peterpaul.   8)

Thanks, I have been lurking around awhile and really like the knowledge base as well as the mutual respect of the members.

Here's another one, "It is not what I think I am, nor what you think I am but what I think you think I am"
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

peterpaul

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 12, 2016, 08:12:13 AM

Welcome to the Forum! You are officially the Forumite closest to me.

Thanks, I have followed you posts for some time, I'm impressed by your knowledge and craftsmanship, to say the least .

Best regards,

Peter
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When some people tell you Howdy, they've told you all they know.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dustyhat

The old saying about the guy that could tell some whoppers, old timers sayed they were so windy they could blow up a onion sack. and i seen it today on the forestry forum. im not saying where :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good looks are just a light switch away.  smiley_lit_bulb   (old saying )

sandsawmill14

i've heard of lipstick on a pig but a goat ??? :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

gww

Keep the pot facing up incase of a downpore of porage.

A burnt child is scared of fire. 

One of many in a bee keeping book writen in 1908.
Cheers
gww

Shane G

One I've heard all my life, He's not smart enough to pour water out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel.   

Anytime my  grandmother was about share her philosophies she'd start by saying "now as a rule".  Two that stuck with me...
"now as a rule, when a woman is riding next to a man in a truck they ain't married",  and "now as a rule,  painters and printers  are drunks".

POSTON WIDEHEAD

"The road of life is paved with flat
squirrels who couldn't make up their minds."

sandhills

dustyhat

Now thats a good one ,  Postonlt40hd :D

grweldon

I haven't followed this entire thread so this one may have been said before.  There was a guy where I used to work years ago who said of another guy who worked with us...

"Ole' Tom would rather climb a tree and tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth..."

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

ncsawyer

Quote from: grweldon on February 04, 2016, 08:45:18 AM
I haven't followed this entire thread so this one may have been said before.  There was a guy where I used to work years ago who said of another guy who worked with us...

"Ole' Tom would rather climb a tree and tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth..."

I always say "he'd rather climb a light pole and stand on his head and tell a lie that stand flat footed on the ground and tell the truth"

If common sense was lard, he wouldn't have enough to grease a pan

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we all have a merry Christmas.

My dad always told us boys growing up that "we'd tear the balls off a brass monkey"

I could go on...but I'll save them for another day.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

elk42

If his brain was gold he wouldn't have enuff  [enough] to buy a hamburger.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

grweldon

Again, may have been said before...

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Martha White Nelson

Here are a few more...Dumb as a box of rocks!
                                      Dumb as a fence post!
                                      Clumsy person...Like a bull in a china closet!
                                      If in doubt, don't.  From my Mama.  Good advice that I should have taken!
                                      Hard headed person...He'd rather argue with a fence post!
                                      She/he drives like a bat outa ...you know, it's very hot.
                                      It's deader than a doornail!...Bad battery.
                                      Well, I swanee, and, bless your heart!...A Southern thing!

Martha

Magicman

QuoteWell, I swanee

I never ever thought that I would see that one.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Isn't it "suwanee", and from google appears to mean southern for "I swear" or similar ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dustyhat

My mom always said( i swanee to my goodness) guess it was a oldtime word.

sandsawmill14

i had a great aunt that said it alot but when she said it it was "well i'll swaneeeee"  :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

Obviously beenthere had never heard the expression or he would not have had to Google it, and even then he found the wrong spelling.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

A yankee greeting:

Hows da sap runnin eh?

Different regions say it different
ex:
How runs da sap?
Sap runnin is it?
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 06, 2016, 05:48:06 PM
Obviously beenthere had never heard the expression or he would not have had to Google it, and even then he found the wrong spelling.   :D

:D

Thank You Sponsors!