iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Sayings…...

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

easymoney

this may have been posted before. a friend reminded me of an old saying i had not heard in years. speaking about someone born into a wealthy family you would say he or she was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Scruboak

One of our co-pilots i get paired with every so often ,, i'll ask him how hes doing when we show up at the plane and his response is always the same......"better than i deserve to be". Always maes me chuckle even though i know its coming!

sandhills

Since you brought up planes how about "any landing you can walk away from was a good one".

SawyerBrown

Or the related "it's not the fall that kills you. It's the landing."
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Alcranb

Putty and paint make it what it ain't.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

hacknchop

When my mother figured something I was doing was wrong or unfruitfull she said" you know Terry you dont have to ride the garbage truck all the way to the dump" my wife has said to me"you know what? your a waste of good air" hard to comeback on that one.
Often wrong never indoubt

landscraper

These were ones I heard over the years.  Sorry if any of these are duplicates but 32 pages is a lot to read.

On someone who conjectures endlessly - If "if" was a skiff we'd all go for a row in the lake. 

On someone who debates the topic alot - If "if's" and "buts" were gifts and nuts we'd have Christmas every day.

On someone longwinded - He could talk Christ off the cross.

On someone miserly - He'd squeeze a penny til Abe cried mercy.

On dumb mistakes - A fool gets burned twice by the same candle.

On the summer heat - Hot as a rat in a wool sock.  Or, Too hot for fish to swim.

On someone who takes a long time to run an errand - He went to use the outhouse and the hogs ate him.

On someone's exaggeration - Well don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!

On getting your words mixed up - My tongue got wrapped around my eye teeth and I couldn't see what I was saying.

On tempting fate - Speak of the devil and the devil appears.  (I think that's actually scripture.)

General bragging - I'm so far ahead of you I'm delivering tomorrow's news.

On chronic liars - He'd walk 10 miles to climb a tree and tell a lie!

On someone taking credit for something - A broken clock is right twice a day/Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn on occasion

On the perils of being greedy - Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered

There's more, I'll have to remember them.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Don_Papenburg

A similar note  on truth
  why climb a tree to tell a lie , when you can stand on the ground and tell the truth.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WV Sawmiller

It would make a buzzard puke.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

Trying to start something? :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Alcranb on January 31, 2015, 12:59:27 PM
Putty and paint make it what it ain't.
Or the related, "Beat to fit, paint to match"

landscaper also reminded me of one which someone may have already mentioned, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

sandhills

My inlaws have been in Arizona since the first of the year and their fridge/freezer died sometime in there  :-\.  I got it out of the house last night and believe me there were smells that would "gag a maggot" in there.  My step daughter and her boy friend actually found it and had everything cleaned out but I had to take the doors off of it to fit it through the house doors  steve_smiley

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

Quote from: sandhills on February 10, 2015, 10:16:27 AM
My inlaws have been in Arizona since the first of the year and their fridge/freezer died sometime in there  :-\.  I got it out of the house last night and believe me there were smells that would "gag a maggot" in there.  My step daughter and her boy friend actually found it and had everything cleaned out but I had to take the doors off of it to fit it through the house doors  steve_smiley

And the "old saying" is "Smell is bad enough to gag a maggot in a gut wagon"  ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pabst79

Tougher then a ten dollar steak.. Or as worthless as a rubber beak on a woodpecker.  dadgum you, Charlie!
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Magicman

QuoteOr as worthless as a rubber beak on a woodpecker.
Especially a blue one.   :(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

"It is what it is."   Actually I'm not sure that is an old saying.  But it is getting old.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Life is so much simpler when you plow around the stump.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What you do last.....is what people see first.

red oaks lumber

where you are is where your at
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

THUNDER BEAST

I get asked a lot, (when is the best time to go fishing?) saying I give in return is (as often as you can!) another was one of my moms favorites (no good deed goes unpunished) and (familiarity breeds contempt)

WV Sawmiller

A bad day fishing (hunting) is better than a good day at work.

If you can't run with the big dogs stay off the porch.

I feel so much better since I abandoned all hope.

Happier than a pig in a mud puddle.

The only time I ever made a mistake was the one time when I thought I was wrong.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.

Thank You Sponsors!