iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Sayings…...

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I have been "cattywhampus" on occasion  :).   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

Quote from: stamper on November 22, 2013, 03:03:07 PM
Some days you're the dog, Some days you're the fire hydrant

... or the modern version ...

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Gunny 1992

Marine Corps Engineer way of fixing things: "Beat to fit and paint to match".
If you broke down positions on a baseball field to Marine Corp job titles, all grunts would be playing catcher: Bullet catcher!

Just a few I have either said or heard: "I can get more intellect out of that pile of lumber."
"Shut your mouth when your talking to me."
the rest cannot be repeated.
Good thread!

Few saws, few axes, few exes, less money!

Gunny

ancjr

Roxie got my fav from my Granny about the birds nesting..

"Haulin' the mail" ...moving at a great velocity.

:)

julio

useless as teats on boar hog  8)
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

cowtipper

One oh crap blows away 500 ata boys

samandothers

Getting people to do things without success  'Like herding cats' and as stated earlier, 'like pushing a rope'.

weimedog

The guy who built me as a program/product manager in my former international life used a phrase that as been stuck with me for the last 20 years..

When dealing with those who you needed to get to do things but had no authority to dictate, he would give his advice followed by..."Just remember; You can't push a string"  a derivative of your rope saying..

My father in law who was a big union guy saying was..

"Those you step on the way up, are the ones you pass again on the way back down"
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

shootingarts

Quote from: samandothers on November 22, 2013, 07:49:02 PM
I have heard it is hard to soar with eagles when surrounded by turkeys.

I remember when that was real popular. Before that was a saying that reflected on yourself also.

"It is hard to soar with the eagles when you have been out all night with the owls."

A favorite that I actually posted in the waiting area of my business for awhile was: "This ain't BurgerKing. You get it my way or you don't get it" (slightly cleaned up version) That was the way I operated but I decided it wasn't a good idea to advertise it!

The pressures could be a little intense in a position at the nuke plant when I retrained to a desk job after an injury. One morning my boss made four visits to my desk in less than ten minutes, each time handing me a rush project. Fourth trip I had to tell him, "Hold up a minute, which rush do you want to rush first?" I had a cartoon of a little guy squished almost to nothing in a press by my desk there. The caption was "Squeeze basset, I work better under pressure!"

The secretaries had a sign that said "51% sweetheart, 49% witch, don't push your luck!" or something like that.

Other favorites, "Our highly trained and efficient staff are waiting to serve you" with a group of gorillas in the picture or cartoon, sometimes chimps. I hung that one on my salvage yard wall for awhile too, another that cut to close to the truth and had to come down along with the "You want it when?" sign with everybody roaring with laughter.

I collected the cartoons and sayings for many years and threw away a several inch thick stack of them when I decided to no longer keep them as just dust collectors after "retiring". Speaking of retiring there was my little sign, "Hill, what hill? Where? When? I don't remember any hill."

Hu

Sheepkeeper

One that I use on occasion is: I'd rather be over the hill than under it.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Cedarman

When something is broken beyond repair  "Yup, it's cratered".
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Cedarman

Sign in the saw shop we use.  "I can please only one person a day, today is not your day, tomorrow isn't looking good either."
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

shootingarts

Quote from: Sheepkeeper on November 23, 2013, 03:16:51 PM
One that I use on occasion is: I'd rather be over the hill than under it.

My mom was quite a lady. What she said and published in one of her books was, "I may be over the hill but I'm on my way up the mountain!"

Hu

Hilltop366

A friend had got a sign for me that said

Answers:   $1.00
Correct Answers:   $2.00
Answers that require thought:  $4.00
Dumb looks:   Free

woodmills1

used to be a big thrift shop on the jersey shore that had a huge sign that said

"You break it you bought it"
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

coxy

if bull manure was electric you would be a walking power house  :D

ayerwood

Grandpa always said..."You can't make chicken salad out of chicken droppings!"  I laughed every time.

WildDog

Hit up the backside with a rainbow. (crude form of born with a silver spoon in his mouth)

Can't breed kangaroos out of wallabies. ( Hard to breed tall kids from small parents)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Roxie

My grandmother once told me, "Vultures and hummingbirds fly over the same desert.  The vultures see death and rotting flesh, the hummingbirds see bright beautiful flowers.  Each bird finds what it is looking for." 
Say when

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Roxie on November 24, 2013, 08:47:47 AM
My grandmother once told me, "Vultures and hummingbirds fly over the same desert.  The vultures see death and rotting flesh, the hummingbirds see bright beautiful flowers.  Each bird finds what it is looking for." 

How true. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I know a few vulture people and more hummingbird people.
Guess which ones I am around more?  ;D 
I like that saying.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Buck

David, this is one of those threads that is gonna  keep going for quite some time. Thanks!
cattywompus?...... is that the same as discombobulated?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Buck on November 24, 2013, 10:09:09 AM

cattywompus?...... is that the same as discombobulated?

I'll have to ask WDH on that one.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on November 24, 2013, 09:52:09 AM
I know a few vulture people and more hummingbird people.
Guess which ones I am around more?  ;D 
I like that saying.
Ray, did you just call yourself a bright beautiful flower?! ??? ::) ;) :D

Roxie, I think that's my favorite so far. :)  Alot of good ones though!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

John,Many would beg to differ on that one.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!