iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norway Spruce- worth it or trouble?

Started by OH Boy, November 12, 2013, 08:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH Boy

I may have a line on several trailer loads of Norway spruce logs, and after reading some of the posts about spruce knots and dull blades, wavy cuts, etc, I'm wondering if it will be worth the trouble. These trees are fully mature and the butt logs are close to 36 in, which is too big for my little saw. I'd only be getting logs from the tops that are anywhere from 20" to maybe 16" which I can handle. The good thing is I don't have to drop, chip or anything. could get trailer dumped at my place.

for a newbie, is Norway Spruce more headache than it's worth?

drobertson

I have only sawed a few.  I was a little disappointed in the finish product in that it had very little character, other than the knots.  The sawing was not an issue for me.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Hard to turn anything down that's free. At least it is for me.  :D  Especially with little to no work involved.  I'll even take box elder and that stuff has to be the most boring looking wood around. I like to have some around for shelving or anything that may require some disposable kind of wood.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Brad_bb

I don't think the OP said it was free.   

My question is do you have a use for or a market for the product?  Don't take it unless you have a plan, or at lease a contingency plan.  It will still occupy your space, storage, etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kderby

I picked up a couple of loads of spruce once...nearly free.  I found that in my area there was no market.  I sold a little, at giveaway prices.  The rest I used for personal projects and I still have some left hanging around.  Not a good experience! ::)

Currently, I have been offered multiple (30) truckloads of incense cedar.  This has happened before and I did not bite.  Here it is again.  Apparently the local market for incense cedar is flighty as well.  It is not "what I do."  I am unlikely to purchase the logs.

I don't know what species are being sold cheap (gifted) in other parts of the country.  One mans trash is another mans treasure?  It is hard to see logs as junk.   In your situation, I would be pretty cautious.  Do you have the time and energy to invest while expecting little or no return? :-\

Kderby

Ianab

The Spruce will saw OK as long as your mill is running right. Any problems (dull blade, wrong tension etc) and the knots will cause wavy cuts. Norway Spruce is a major timber tree in it's native Europe, so the wood is certianly useful. Similar to other wood in the SPruce / Pine / Fir group.

So if you have a plan to use or market the wood, and the logs are priced right, then I would say go for it.

Market value of the sawn wood, and the usefulness to YOU may not be directly related. Even if there is no established market for the wood locally, if you want to build a shed, and need the wood, then it's as good as anything else.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rimshot

Make sure the stuff came frogood and  livestanding spruce trees.  Dead spruce standing does not always make good lumber .  I tried sawing some recently and the stuff sprouted a greenish blue mold. Yuck!

rimshot

LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Stephen1

good strong lumber, if you have a building project in mind then scoop the logs. If you have someone  The large ones can be whittled done. As others have said only dull blades give wavy lumber.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ladylake

New sharp blades make wavy lumber in Norway spruce also.  I tried a brand new 10° blade in a 20" wide cut that cut terrible , then went to a 4° sharpened blade which did a lot better.  So far the best I've found is a 3/4 pitch 4° blade which still isn't perfect in the wide cuts but close and does real good in the narrower cut.   It's best to get those big ones broke down to smaller sizes fast.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

OH Boy

My bad.I did leave out some information. They are very live trees, healthy and getting removed for work. We have to remove the wood from the property, so would be free to me. the rest if I dont take it will get put in a pile for someon's outdoor wood burner. I just hate to see it all go to waste, and I have plenty of projects. not looking to market any.

Ianab

The price is right then  :D

Get a load of them dropped off, get some nice sharp bands, and have at them.  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

shelbycharger400

Spruce is bland unless you let it sit   for 2 to 3 years and it blues up. Lot easier to sell the hobby workers.       Build a slabber   ,   I built mine,  took two years to get it done,  once running it paid for itself In a few months.   Pm me I'll tell ya how with photos.   Chain slabbers can be built for 500 to 2500  or so. Mine I cobbled and had only a few hund in it with some used stuff.

mesquite buckeye

The best logs will be the fat ones. Rip them with a chainsaw if you have to to get them on your mill.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!