iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scouting ?? a meal

Started by red oaks lumber, November 12, 2013, 06:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

red oaks..
Might be the time to start some training on the small dog..  get him/her to listen to you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

Do you have any donkeys running with your cattle?

I have a couple miniature donkeys running with the cows and that has really helped with predators.

red oaks lumber

getting a smell she's never smelt, no amount of training is holding that back :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

customsawyer

Hate to hear of your troubles but feel confident you will figure it out. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

It also sounds like it has no fear of you.  I agree with Jake above.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

:rifle: :rifle: That's all I got to say it's what we do here
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

JohnM

I'm guessing this is the one and only post where we won't ask for pics. ;) :) :-X
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Gunny 1992

Heck No!  Pic's are fine by me.  You may not want to do that though?  Good Luck with the hunt, oh, FIXING the problem!
Few saws, few axes, few exes, less money!

Gunny

Clark

Steve - I'd say you're in a tough situation with trying to remove that animal and have it done without losing more animals. Any APHIS trappers available?

Quote from: coxy on November 14, 2013, 11:13:19 PM
Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 14, 2013, 06:26:53 PM
I've "heard" from people who know some people who know a guy someplace that the way to deal with them is shoot them in the hindend so that they don't die on the spot they will run away and die someplace else and nobody will know who shot it.....

This is all just a story I heard from a guy at the local watering hole though.
sounds good to me :)

I heard a guy last weekend say about wolves, "just shoot 'em in the guts".  This sort of behavior disgusts me.  It's one thing to break the law and quite frankly, I don't care if you choose to do that, it's your choice.  What does bother me is that others have the gall to kill an animal in the most marginally lethal manner. 

If you want them dead, kill them like any man would. 

If you want tip-toe around the law and act like the insolent brat that you are, then shoot them in the guts.  Let them run around for a while before they die. Show the lack of respect that will ultimately lead to anti-hunters gaining ground with the non-hunting population.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

red oaks lumber

clark
earlier today i was thinking about the trapping route also, i would prefer someone more skilled with wolves to handle the problems.
i'm with you, if i'm pulling the trigger its for a clean kill no matter the animal.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Clark on November 18, 2013, 04:46:32 PM
I heard a guy last weekend say about wolves, "just shoot 'em in the guts".  This sort of behavior disgusts me.

What disgusts me is when a cow goes down to calf and then the wolves eat her hind end as she is giving birth (still alive but unable to get up), they then get full and walk away leaving her to die there a slow death. Then the Gov't comes out and tells you sorry for the loss here is a check for $207 dollars, when the animal is worth at least 10x that amount.

Then when asked what you can do to control the problem they say you can't shoot a wolf until you witness it injuring or killing your stock (in their words "it has to draw blood first"). If you shoot before then you can/will be faced with fines and jail time.

So what is a guy to do? Leave his animals/paycheck out there as bait and wait for them to get attacked to do things legally?

Roxie

Is it feasible to put a mule or two out with the pregnant cows? 
Say when

chevytaHOE5674

I have a few donkeys out with the cows and it helps. But if you get a pack of wolves that are hungry there is only so much they can do before they become dinner themselves...

red oaks lumber

i have llamas in with my cow/calf herd, since doing that 7-8 yrs ago the fatality rate has gone way down. i have been thinking about donkeys as protection.
the thing i notice about grazing cattle is, they spread out all over the pasture making it all the more difficult for a llama or donkey to protect every area.
my daughter came home sunday evening(after i went to bed) as she was pulling into our yard she said a wolf was just standing in the yard real close to the house ;)

ND rancher

There must be a way to protect the livestock from them.Seems like the officials are giving you the run around. I would not let them do that. Just my .02$.  Just heard of 2 cows that were attacked by mt. lion,20 miles away from me.It hasn't died yet but it will.2 wks. ago one was shot 3 miles from me in a residential area. Still 2 more that were spotted in the area, worst year yet. 
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

stumpjumper83

Do you own a backhoe by chance? 

trapper

Is the wolf season still open in your area?  If so can you find someone with a permit? 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

red oaks lumber

yes the season is still open, with the eve of deere season the dnr says "their to busy" to assist with finding a trapper in our area

JohnM

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 19, 2013, 12:53:02 PM
yes the season is still open, with the eve of deere season the dnr says "their to busy" to assist with finding a trapper in our area
GREEN LIGHT!! ;) ;D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: JohnM on November 19, 2013, 03:53:59 PM
GREEN LIGHT!! ;) ;D

Just remember that plenty of the wolves in the upper great lakes are collared or micro-chipped and they emit a mortality signal when they die. So the Gov't knows when and where they die....

JohnM

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 19, 2013, 04:03:47 PM
GREEN LIGHT!! ;) ;D

Just remember that plenty of the wolves in the upper great lakes are collared or micro-chipped and they emit a mortality signal when they die. So the Gov't knows when and where they die....
Yellow light? ??? :-[

BobInMN

GREEN LIGHT!! ;) ;D

What's the range on one of those chips?
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

Chuck White

Quote from: JohnM on November 19, 2013, 04:07:27 PM
GREEN LIGHT!! ;) ;D

Yellow light? ??? :-[

I'd bet those signals (if there are any) would not be detected if the one with the collar or microchip was underground, the depth that a backhoe can reach!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 19, 2013, 12:53:02 PM

Did you try calling USDA APHIS in Rhinelander?  They deal with the nuisance animal concerns and nearly everyone there is a trapper. 

beenthere

Axe
See red oaks post #11 in this thread. Might tend to agree with him... as it makes you be in their spotlight.

Now he is only in our spotlight...   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!