iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

028 stihl questions

Started by cutter88, June 06, 2014, 12:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

I found a pair of 028 stihl saws there about 14 years old, anything I should look for, are the a decent little saw and is 500 bucks for the pair a good price?
Thanks
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

iwiegian

Ive had my 028 for longer than i  care to admit and have always been amazed at the longevity and dependability of the saw.  I am on only the second plug and just lately had to finally had to put a new sprocket on it.  I have ran thru many chains and on the second 16 inch bar.  I also occasionally run a 25 on this saw.  I have a 250c now that gets a lot of use because of the easy start system as I have a bad elbow and its easier to start.  Its been a firewood saw not a logging saw.  As far as price it seems a little high but then prices of everything today seem out of line. In other words I'm cheap :) Dave

Caloren

The price seems to be a little bit higher than they sell for around here, unless they were in very good running condition with good bars and chains. They are a very good saw, if well taken care of.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

BradMarks

Stihl experts: might those 028's be older than 14 years? When did they discontinue that model?  Anyway, $250 bucks each for a used small saw seems steep, even with new bar and chain, even if a Stihl, IMO.

Caloren

Bradmarks,
Yes, those saws could be older than 14 years since we don't know which 028's they are. I believe they first came out in 1977 as a 43cc saw, then the type II came out in 1979 with 47cc's, then sometime later the AV Super came out with 52cc's. I believe they were made through the '90's or at least most of that decade.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

clww

I've had my first 028 since buying it new in 1987, and have cut hundreds of cords with it. Great saw that has done what I needed it for. $500 sounds a bit more than I would pay for a pair, though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

celliott

I had three of them this winter, thrown in on a deal for a 385xp along with a bunch of parts.
Got two up and running good. Sold one for $130, and that took awhile. The second one is alot nicer, I'm asking $200 but haven't had any interest at that price. I'll be lucky to get $150 for it.
So yeah, $500 would be a bit steep I'd say, even at Canadian prices.
Are they supers or wood bosses? Either way, they're a decent small firewood saw.

One thing I noticed on the ones I worked on, is to make sure the top AV mount is tight, and check the intake boot real carefully for a tear. That mount can flex too much with a heavy handed operator, and tear the intake boot, usually on the underside where it's hard to see.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Al_Smith

FWIW the 028,038 AV super and mag ,the 042 and 048 are all of the same design .One weak link in all of them as has already been mentioned is the top av mount .This can weaken  over time allowing the boot to tear and they usually tear on the bottom where you can't see it .

cutter88

Thanks for all the input guys u truly are a big help :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

VeryBestAvatar

Unless they are showroom mint, $500 for the pair is out of the question.  A nice clean one can be bought for $150 with a good bar and chain.  I would gladly sell you 2 of the 17 I currently have for $500.

Dave P

I bought one about a year ago, I paid $100.00 bucks. It was the 028AV. It ran like a top and then it died. I took the flywheel off to change the points and the screw had come out that held the points in place. In the meantime I learned that I could convert it from a points spark to electronic ignition. It wasn't that expensive either. Still runs great. I bought another one for 125.00 which was a newer version, already electronic igniition. The price you quoted for the two is quite high in my opinion. If I could sell the two I have for $500.00 I would do it. What ever you do, good luck to you.
David Patterson

thecfarm

Dave P,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

deerslayer

The last 028 Super I sold was very nice and I got $275 for it. If those saws aren't the Super version they're overpriced. They're way older than 14 years for sure...
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Thank You Sponsors!