iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

why does my blade dive when entering the log?

Started by JB Griffin, November 11, 2013, 10:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

Or make them adjustable if they're in good shape, pics would help.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JB Griffin

Backwoods, so I don't quite git it, how am I supposed to make contact with the log with no blade on the mill I think that it would just slip through or hit the top piece the blade runs through?  ???
Lee i'm outside of Marshall.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

backwoods sawyer

us a bigger log or hang a 4x4 sticker cross ways off the end of the log, what ever it takes to give you something solid enough to put feed presure against to check the bearings for play, use a come-a-long and anchor it to something solid if that works. or you could pull the bearings off and check them for play on the work bench if that is easier.
get creative if need be.
How many hours are on your mill?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

With the head hanging from the top it would need support both on the top of the rail and the bottom to keep  the head from pushing back when the blade hits the wood, there sure should be some sort of adjustment to keep things snug.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JB Griffin

Thanks Backwoods I get it now. Ladylake no bearings on bottom on this mill. Makes sense to have some on the bottom
though wonder why they didn't use any? There is 4 bearings on top of rail and 4 on the inside of it.
Have no idea how many hours is on the mill, I think it is a late '90's or early '00's model.
The mill has sawn the lumber for 3 hay barns and at least 2 cabins.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

LeeB

Quote from: JB Griffin on November 11, 2013, 11:01:21 PM
I have been puttin logs on the mill just as they lay but have noticed if  they are butt first I have more trouble. It has been doin this since I bought the mill been thinkin something worked loose on the way home but I cant find anything
as of yet. The guides on this mill are all on top and on the sides of the rail over head. Bearings in the guide rollers are
a bit loose but not bad, at least not by my standards.

Change the guide bearings.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ladylake

Do as Backwoods says, if you find the back top bearings lifting off the rail you will need to put a adjustable bearing or plastic slide under the rail. Just in the back , not needed in the front.    Steve

JB Griffin

Thanks Guys I haven't checked the slack in the bearings yet been busy and pretty cold down here, but will after Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving All.

micks sawmill

change the belts on bandwheels works on woodmizer

Magicman

Hello micks sawmill, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

How about filling in the information in your profile showing your location and sawmill.  We also would love to hear about your sawing/wood/lumber interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

I have experienced a diving problem whose cause was different from that addressed in this thread. For those of us who have crowned steel wheels which need a re-tracking adjustment, the band teeth can ride onto the steel wheel reducing the set of the inside teeth. This leaves the outside teeth with more set making the blade dive.

I took a blade off yesterday because it was beginning to dive (end of board was about 1/16th inch thinner than the beginning) and noticed the teeth were completely riding on the drive wheel. All I did was reset the inside teeth (from 0.022 to 0.025 in.) and, of course, re-adjust the tracking and the blade sawed pine all day today.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!