iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the rack

Started by Peter Drouin, November 11, 2013, 07:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have been getting some calls for slabs, [ soft wood]. But I chip everything  :D
So I thought I would put some up but how,
This is what I came up with,

had some old steel around, and with a torch and wire feed welder madmax I go :D :D
made it so I can lift the thing out after banding it.

I'll put some up and well see how it goes. I know in the spring people will want them to boil syrup.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

The white pine slabs look good. I like the looks of hemlock better. Rack looks like it will work too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rmack

looks good!

I will build one in the spring.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Dave Shepard

My rack makes a bundle 4'x4'. Unfortunately now that the mill is mine, I don't have a machine that will lift a full 16' long bundle. :D I think If I get one that is too heavy, I will put four bands on it and cut it in half. That way it's only a cord of slabs. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

You know Ray maybe people won't want pine just hemlock. Do you think the hemlock would be better for a chimney than pine ? Do you burn pine in the outside boiler? :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I've got friends with OWBs and they burn a lot of pine. No ash, but it won't coal up like hardwood, so it doesn't work so well for low demand periods. I'm trying to train them to come take my pine slabs away. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 11, 2013, 08:21:37 PM
My rack makes a bundle 4'x4'. Unfortunately now that the mill is mine, I don't have a machine that will lift a full 16' long bundle. :D I think If I get one that is too heavy, I will put four bands on it and cut it in half. That way it's only a cord of slabs. ::)

thats why I made it to hold 1/2 a cord or so. and if you look I have it so you can cut it in half and not hit the steel with the saw.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Yes,I burn white pine in my OWB. Even cedar. My OWB will smother the fire out so I can burn white pine. And cedar. Last winter I burned just about all dead pine and fir all winter.I know you are cutting hemlock. I like hemlock in wood stove or I would think a sap boiler. Hemlock can be controlled and it will coal down some. White pine will just burn itself out. If I had the choice I would use hemlock instead of pine. I burned alot of hemlock in a wood stove in the basement. I tried using pine and it was hard,next to impossible to control. You burning wood this year? Try both. I betcha you will like the hemlock better.
Dave,I wish I could fine someone to give me pine slabs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 11, 2013, 08:31:07 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 11, 2013, 08:21:37 PM

thats why I made it to hold 1/2 a cord or so. and if you look I have it so you can cut it in half and not hit the steel with the saw.

Well, I don't have to fill it all the way up, but it is so convenient when you have a 6,000 pound forklift around.

I don't actually fill the rack by hand anymore. I used to have a rack by the mill and one by the edger. Both were 4x4, and about 5' high. I got tired of hoisting slabs into the things, so I pile the edgings next to the loader arms on the mill and then lift them up with the forklift when the pile gets big. Saves a lot of time and I don't have to handle heavy 16' slabs any more, just slide them off the log and watch them flop on the ground. 8)

Peter Drouin

Ray I'm almost done cutting a 15000 bf all pine timber frame, that's why there's pine in there. I am going back to hemlock in a week or two. I do burn wood in the house but it's all hard wood

A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Heck of a rack!  Don't reckon this one is going any where very soon,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

Here's mine ... https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62424.msg921687.html#msg921687

The angled corners keep the bundles from shifting and prevent the strapping from going slack.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

Brucer, nice rack, what I do is fill 1/2 way then put 2 or 3 slabs 4' long the other way. Then fill it. The same way you would when you pile lumber in a block then strap it . You can see it in the pic.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jim_Rogers

My rack is at the end of my driveway at the street. It's empty right now. I had it full all summer and then it was emptied a week ago or so. I filled it up again and it was emptied again.

I've got to go fill it up again. That $20 each time it's emptied comes in handy at the gas station....

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

5quarter

All you guys talkin about racks... ;) ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

loggah

Well i thought this thread was about wimmin, or deer, not slabs !!! ;D I got a pile of about 8 cords of pine slabs that are going to go up in smoke ,as soon as theres snow enough on the ground,i got sick of trying to give them away !! peter nice brickwork in the stove  area! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Peter Drouin

Quote from: loggah link=topic=70369.msg1056441#msg1056441 ,i got sick of trying to give them away !! peter nice brickwork in the stove  area! Don
/quote]

I tried to give them away too so I chip them, I though I would put some up, I do get a call from time to time for them, thanks on the brickwork, that's what I use to do  years ago  :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Brucer

The first year I was contract sawing for a timber framer, we tried to give the slabs away. One person came, carefully picked through the pile, and took 10 slabs or so. Half a dozen people came, looked, said they be back -- and we never saw them again.

After we started selling them they became popular ::).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!