iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling Firewood-Lets see your rig

Started by spinner, November 11, 2013, 07:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

Road Monkey,
That is a great idea for measuring the perfect cord!  Is it just steel welded together?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

johnjbc

The trailer is 22' long and 102" wide. with 2' stake pockets that comes out to 2 3/4 cords. I have figured out how to make side borads for the sides and front but need ideas on how to make a tailgate.

This is the next load skidded out of the woods. The longer logs should make 3 trailer length 22' bolts and once I get the side boards made I can fill in the gaps with cut up tops.

http://www.bwisetrailers.com/tilt/deck_hydraulic_bumper_15000.php
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Mn woodchuck

My long haul outfit. I can get 5 cord on it if I load the back end the heaviest. 

to soon oldt to late schmart!
3 husky 350xps 340xp 362 346. 372xp McCullough 710.and a jonsered 2150 sopped up..
Cat D6 D2

DaleK

My helpers can't drive yet so I have to get creative sometimes. Trailer holds two cords.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

road_monkey

Quote from: Piston on December 14, 2014, 11:04:46 PM
Road Monkey,
That is a great idea for measuring the perfect cord!  Is it just steel welded together?

yep. just old mobile home frame I-beam (think its 2 x 10 or so) with 2 pieces of 4x6 box tubing welded to the bottom. also has a short piece of chain welded to it that I hook to the fork carrage to prevent it from falling off.  pretty simple, but works well

Wallys World

He is my other rig. I use this to get the wood from along our woods roads. It was cheaper than a tractor ($500), 4 wheel drive, space for the saws and I can keep dry in the rain.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Mn woodchuck

3 husky 350xps 340xp 362 346. 372xp McCullough 710.and a jonsered 2150 sopped up..
Cat D6 D2

Mn woodchuck

My go devil ..  It goes anywhere I want .. And goes like the devil.   Lol
I've drove this tractor since  1954. Amazing that it keeps going    many 1000s of hours
Hauls lots of wood and drags trees out yet.
Cat D6 D2

Dave Shepard

Quote from: road_monkey on December 18, 2014, 10:17:33 PM
Quote from: Piston on December 14, 2014, 11:04:46 PM
Road Monkey,

yep. just old mobile home frame I-beam (think its 2 x 10 or so) with 2 pieces of 4x6 box tubing welded to the bottom. also has a short piece of chain welded to it that I hook to the fork carrage to prevent it from falling off.  pretty simple, but works well

If it's from a mobile home, or modular house, trailer, it should be M10x9#. I need two 6' pieces of that stuff, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Found a bunch of 5' pieces at the scrapyard, cut up to fit the #1 bin. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

road_monkey

If it's from a mobile home, or modular house, trailer, it should be M10x9#. I need two 6' pieces of that stuff, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Found a bunch of 5' pieces at the scrapyard, cut up to fit the #1 bin. ::)
[/quote]

new York is pretty this time of year. LOL   I got more if you need some

sam-tip

My rig.  Ram 5500 with triple axle dump trailer.   Largest load so far has been 16,000 lbs of logs.  Empty it weight is 18500 lbs  One cord in truck and two in trailer.

Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Thewoodman

Wow.... Out of interest, what do you think the weight is on the rear axle?
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

Dave Shepard

Not enough to bother that truck! :D Nice rig! :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YoungStump

Here's my little rig.

And the shotgun seat.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Warped

Might as well post some of my junk.
Power company trimmed back some ash and oak in front of some land I have.
Dropped what I was doing and took care of it before it grew legs. Had a buddy who actually thought it was fair game, boy did I set him straight!

This is where it ended up

For the bigger loads
Best pic at the moment of the 1981 Int' 1654, 555? cu. in., Allison 545 AT, Eaton split rear end (that has been hanging up, popped out last year, that was fun!). A little rough but for $2800 delivered, I had to have it.

My surgical tools..........when I'm not backing over them, both been wounded.....

Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

bigred1951

i do believe i spy an old chopper axe there with the saws. How well does it do splitting compared to regular splitting mauls?

Warped

Quote from: bigred1951 on January 07, 2015, 08:56:25 AM
i do believe i spy an old chopper axe there with the saws. How well does it do splitting compared to regular splitting mauls?
Chopper One works great, sends wood flying, so you have to line them up out in front of you or risk having to stand them again. Don't use it near anything you don't want damaged from flying logs. With a little practice and reading the wood you can "crack" the logs then blow it all apart with the final blow.
Springs for the retractable ears fell out years ago but works fine without them.
Very rarely gets stuck, it either penetrates enough to split or you hit it again......no good for punky wood though, the ears just sink in.
Remember using my uncles in the late 70's and grabbed this in '95 at a closing Ace Hardware for around $20. Love it!
Oh, haven't tried the tire or bungee cord trick yet.

Dave Shepard

That IH most likely has a 9.0/549 if it's the big V-8.

Warped

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 07, 2015, 05:10:06 PM
That IH most likely has a 9.0/549 if it's the big V-8.
I originally typed 545, but then the "545" Allison made me question it never realizing they were the same. Maybe I screwed that up too, .....I'll check it out

upnut

First post, new member here! Thought I'd post a pic of my firewood rig....Yamaha Grizzly 350 pulling a custom built winch trailer. I use it to drag poles up to the trailer and buck them up there, saves a lot of lugging chunks.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

thecfarm

upnut,welcome to the forum. looks good. What did you use for an axle? Looks like an old one?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upnut

It's actually a torque-flex axle, I re-purposed a small custom built cargo/hunting dog trailer. My son who is a newly graduated mechanical engineer drew up the plans from my rough drafts and a local fab shop did the metal work.

Thick-walled 2 inch square tube frame and uprights, it's built stout!

Scott B.

The '59 Mercury hubcaps threw you off!.... ;)
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

thecfarm

With anything to do with wood,if it's not stout, it won't last long.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warped

DeerMeadowFarm

Thank You Sponsors!