iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw concept

Started by Tom Leese, November 11, 2013, 06:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Leese

Hi this is my first post on this forum. I am a product design student at Staffordshire University (united kingdom) and for my final year project i am looking to design a new chainsaw concept. i would like to ask a couple of questions that would help me with the design process.

What are the needs and requirements that you want out of your chainsaw?

What brand of chainsaw do you use?

Is there anything that need to be changed/improved with current chainsaws?

Thanks

Tom Leese 

bandmiller2

Welcome Tom, chainsaws like most of our complex machinery, evolve. But its not pure evolution its tainted by the bean counters. It will be a tall order to improve the saw much without running into monitary constraints and likely safety concerns. Probibly the best opertunity is alternate power such as electric. Have at it mate we need young innovators. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JohnG28

You might want to start by taking a look at some of the latest saw technology out now. There is a thread below on Stihl introducing fuel injection, which is not on any chainsaws yet but looks to be in the near future. Also AutoTune from Husqvarna has been out for a few years, and is becoming more prevalent across both Husky and Stihl lines. IMO these technologies are going to likely take saws to their next level. Good place to start brainstorming at least. And welcome to the forum.  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

lowpolyjoe

I'm a chainsaw novice, but from what I read around here it sounds like Stihl and Husqvarna are the most popular brands for serious workers.  I have a Husqvarna myself.

One thing that I hear people often mention in chainsaw threads is power-to-weight ratio.  Probably more vague than you were looking for, but I imagine anything you can do to improve that will be a win. 

How about some sort of auto-chain sharpener built in  :)    I know there is a model chain that can be sharpened by sticking the nose of the saw into a little box and running it, but I think I heard it's garbage? 

nmurph

At least 5 hp.
No more than 11lbs.
Starts on the first pull everytime regardless of how long the fuel has been sitting in it.
No need to add oil to the gasoline.
No need to sharpen the chain.
No need to add bar oil.

Philbert

Tom,

You need to start by focusing you inquiry more.

Do you want to improve one aspect of modern chainsaws or are you looking for another way to cut wood?  Are you looking at the cutting chain, the power head, safety, efficiency, convenience, durability, etc.?

There are, or have have been, battery, corded electric, diesel, pneumatic, and hydraulic powered chainsaws. Saws with rotary engines. Chainsaws that work under water and chain saws that cut concrete. Wikapeadia shows a medical/bone chainsaw.

Most guys on this forum have different chainsaws for different tasks, so you might want to pick one of those tasks: trimming, limbing, bucking, felling, milling, carving, etc.

Or you might want to look at a specific risk: kickback, vibration, etc.

Philbert

Philbert

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on November 11, 2013, 10:13:58 AMHow about some sort of auto-chain sharpener built in  . . . I know there is a model chain that can be sharpened by sticking the nose of the saw into a little box and running it, but I think I heard it's garbage?

The current Oregon 40 volt battery saw has a built-in chain sharpener, as did a number of saws about 25-30 years ago.

I have used the 'self-sharpening' PowerSharp chain on several saws and like it. It is actually a fairly aggressive, chisel tooth chain.

Philbert

sablatnic

Maybe, like Bandmiller suggested, electric, with lithium a battery and outrunner motor. The full package, with the whole array of chargers, powered by solar cells, thermo elements, wind turbine.

The solar cells maybe integrated as thin film in a tent or on the roof of a camper, the thermo element to use the heat from a camp fire, and the turbine to use the wind up on the ridge.

I don't know, but it sounds interesting!

AdkStihl

Quote from: nmurph on November 11, 2013, 11:37:28 AM
At least 5 hp.
No more than 11lbs.
Starts on the first pull everytime regardless of how long the fuel has been sitting in it.
No need to add oil to the gasoline.
No need to sharpen the chain.
No need to add bar oil.

smiley_clapping
J.Miller Photography

Philbert

I am always amazed at the things people have already tried with chainsaws (not counting the ones I never heard of):

- B&D's Alligator shears are a creative approach for brush, even if executed in a light duty package;

- Chain with replaceable teeth (slide on cutters with dove-tailed slots) was a recent item discussed in chainsaw patents in another thread (maybe in another forum?);

- I think (?) I saw a photo of a prototype chainsaw that climbed tree trunks, removing limbs on the way up.

Maybe a laser guided, climbing saw that keeps people out of trees?

Would be interested to hear what you dream up!

Philbert

redfin

The only thing that really comes to mind is a propane injected saw. But then of course you have to deal with the lubrication and the whole turning the liquid into a gas thing.

I'm building a propane turbo injected buggy.  110 octane and never having to worry my fuel will go bad is why I'm building it that way. Well also, it would run upside down if it wasn't for the oiling issue.

RCBS

Needs:  Reliability, lightweight, power/chain speed, ease of maintenance.

Saws I own:  Echo, Husqvarna, Jonsered.

Improvements needed: see 1st answer.

Good luck to you!
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

shootingarts

Been years but I have worked in R&D. The advice to start with a narrow focus is very good and also when you find an area of interest the first thing to make sure of is that you aren't trying to reinvent something that already exists. Electric saws have already ran from tiny underpowered toys to 440V three phase generator saws that have an over thirty inch bar. The narrow focus may expand as the project evolves but starting narrow and expanding is usually far easier than setting out to reinvent the wheel to begin with.

The best hope might be to find other areas of new development that haven't been tied to chainsaws yet. Weight and balance are very critical for chainsaws so that is always an issue. If a lightweight oil injection system could be added to a saw so premixing fuel wasn't required I think it would be very well received. Might have to be a four stroke but if the weight could be kept down propane is interesting. Diesel engines are two stroke to begin with and an issue in the past, availability of highly refined diesel, is no longer an issue. In 1990 we were trying to design a diesel engine to pull a 1/3 to 1/2 cubic inch Freon compressor. We didn't but another company did design a similar engine and model airplane diesel engines were around back then too. Fox had them. The bar and chain hasn't evolved substantially in pretty much forever. Might try to develop ideas in that area. other cutting method besides chain? perhaps a different path for chain to take? A reverse gear on a chainsaw might be an interesting feature for some cuts.

I'm sure you already know but the steps of design involve first brainstorming, almost anything is on the table, then start refining the more promising ideas. One issue with trying to develop new ideas related to chainsaws is that there are already huge R&D budgets at work on saws. Not impossible but tough to find something they haven't already considered that has a practical application. However sometimes an outside source like yourself does bring fresh ideas to the table.

Good luck in your efforts, I'm another that will be waiting to hear the outcome!

Hu

Lanternguy

i got to try the Li-On Battery saw from Oregon recently seems to have lots of feature like auto chain sharpener, battery gauge and very quite, if you could make something like that but lighter, more powerful, longer lasting and charges faster i think it could be something the average home owner could actually buy to replace a standard saw. 

Funny the demo rep said when the big ice storm hits its always ready to go you don't need to store gas anymore, but somebody said how do you charge it if the power is down... he thought for a second and said off a generator and laughed... lol
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

Ward Barnes

Quote from: redfin on November 11, 2013, 03:40:42 PM
The only thing that really comes to mind is a propane injected saw. But then of course you have to deal with the lubrication and the whole turning the liquid into a gas thing.

I'm building a propane turbo injected buggy.  110 octane and never having to worry my fuel will go bad is why I'm building it that way. Well also, it would run upside down if it wasn't for the oiling issue.

As an aside to the propane turbo buggy, have you seen the propane powered outboard engines produced by Lehr?  Screw in a standard size propane bottle and it will take you as far as one gallon of gasoline.  golehr.com.  Can a propane chainsaw be far behind?
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Philbert

Quote from: Lanternguy on November 12, 2013, 05:00:02 PM. . . but somebody said how do you charge it if the power is down. . .

I have an extra battery for mine, and an inverter to charge it from my car.

Philbert

john_bud

I've read where nano-tech created molecular chainsaw that is;