iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Seasonal Treat

Started by Magicman, November 10, 2013, 09:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, it is a "love-hate" thing, but I look forward to Fruit Cake, or to be exact, Claxton Fruit Cake each year.  They are chock full of actual fruit and nuts.  I stopped by the grocery for milk a few minutes ago and there was a display waiting for me.

So tonight I enjoy a slice of Claxton Fruit Cake and Ice Cream.   food6

Tomorrow I will have a slice in my lunchbox to eat when we stop sawing for lunch.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I like fruit cake 8) never had it with ice cream though, has to be good,  enjoy!,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

I really like the dark fruit cake too along with mince meat and eggnog.  Always hard to restrain myself around Christmas. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Looking forward to getting some fruit-cake real soon.

I know some look down on it, but I really like it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Fruit Cake? Did someone call?  :D :D :D

Seriously, I love homemade fruit cakes the best. I likes to heat a slice in the microwave and eat it with Vanilla Ice Cream. Good post Magic!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WildDog

My wife makes a beautiful fruitcake from my past grandmothers recipe.

3 years ago my 2nd cousin was ill so Nicky sent him a fruitcake for Christmas. A couple of weeks after Christmas a lady phoned saying my cousin had died before getting the cake, she and her daughter were opening his mail and had eaten it. The two liked it that much they were calling for the recipe. :-\
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

coxy

I am fruity enough with out that  :)

Dave Shepard

I haven't had any in decades, but I think Poston has the right idea. I might have to go buy some fruit cake and ice cream now. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ashes

Magic is always stirring the pot with his food choices ;D

That stuff is good in my book though.

thecfarm

All I got to say about this choice,if this thread was started in the sawmill section it would get moved to the food section.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on November 11, 2013, 09:22:03 PM
All I got to say about this choice,if this thread was started in the sawmill section it would get moved to the food section.  ;D

....unless it had GRITS on the Fruit Cake.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Well, I think that's a first. A food thread turned to a thread on winter traction aids. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TimRB

You would like California.  We have a lot of fruits and nuts also.

Tim

Magicman

:D  You can just keep them.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Good

Never heard of Claxton but I will be looking for them now . Only get it once a year , not every year either and then only one . Wife don't eat but a slice and she has had her fill , so I enjoy the rest .

Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Radar67

Lynn, my Mom got me started on the Claxton Fruit Cakes years ago. I really look forward to our morning coffee after the holidays. She buys them and freezes them. I see her every morning that I do not have to work, for at least an hour. Something I will miss when she is no longer with us.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

We've been buying fruitcakes made by the parishoners at a Parish north of Madison, and sold each year since 1961.
http://www.madisoncatholicherald.org/news/around-diocese/97-wesport-tradition-country-fair-fruitcakes.html

Very good, and can get them fresh once a year.

I've always enjoyed them, even when my mother made some and didn't add something to the recipe (maybe the right flour ? ). All the nuts and fruits and other ingredients ended up tightly packed and it was like a nut bar. Hard to cut, and hard to chew. But still good. Mom would never make them like that again.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

They are pricey on the internet, but our grocery sells them for ~$4.00 for a 1lb. cake.

Al_Smith

My first wife made an excellant fruit cake laced with peach brandy .They are not cheap to buy nor are they cheap to make .

pappy19

For my money, you can't beat the fruit cakes from Sunnyland Farms. Their stuff is the best ever. I usually buy not only the fruit cakes but also their roasted,salted pecans to give as gifts to friends, neighbors, mail carrier, etc.

http://www.sunnylandfarms.com/categories/Sunnyland-Homemade-Cakes
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

Those look mighty good.    food6

drobertson

Coming soon to homes near you!   Happy Thanksgiving to all!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CHARLIE

My Grandparents always bought Claxton Fruitcakes when I was a boy and now I still buy them. They come from Claxton, Georgia.  They are the best as far as I'm concerned. :)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/12/12/167066177/georgia-town-makes-claim-for-fruitcake-capital-of-the-world
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

21incher

My wife and I love the Claxton's also. Glad they went back to the 16 ounce size this year. For the past couple of years all you could get around here were 12 ounce cakes that were priced the same as the 16 ounce ones.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!