iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

guess this twig

Started by redpowerd, May 20, 2004, 10:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

can someone throw a picture of a twig on here and let us take a stab at it?

i shotgun three days ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Looks like a root cktate. Yah find it in the bend of the river as driftwood?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

Hey swamp, this ain't never been nowhere near no river, or in the ground!!!!!  Promise ya, I cut the tree myself and this piece is from about 8 or 10 foot up, and has burn marks from lightening.  Saved it cause I hadn't never seen limbs twisted up this bad that high up the tree.Call it my architectural tree limb!  Figuring another tree or something must have got into it at some point in it's life.  Was out of a pretty big tree.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

he knows its not a root, otherwise............ ;D

its been days, gimme ten bucks and ill id it
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Ianab

OK Red...
I'll play the game. Here's a twig from outside my back door. To make life easier it's not a NZ tree, but it's not a common one either.

Any ideas?

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Yup, I'm sure cktate knows what it is, that's the whole point of the game. ;)

Now let me see... :P gotta look at where your at on the map cktate and then get out the tree bible  :P . Lets see....... :-/

I'll guess its........a.........ummmm    hmm hemlock can get twisted like that if injured sometime or if mistletoe attacks it. But, I'm guessing its a red oak. :D

IanAB your specimen must be an oak because of the buds I see. I was also thinking basswood, but the buds are not right. Their buds point off the the side. You tore off the old dry overwintering leaves. Its an oak. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

actually it's cedar, out of a great big ole ugly cedar tree ;D

OneWithWood

Ha! You can't fool me, CK.  That is the left hand of an Ent. :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Cktate:

That was a real challenge. I've seen candelabra in western red cedar that aren't classed as branches. They come out of the side of the main trunk and are bowed upright forming a main stem with branches of their own. And they can be huge. Kinda lookes like those large cactuses in the desert areas of the SW.

cheers ;D

Ianab

Nope... not an Oak.
not a Nth American tree, but I know they are grown there. Think parks and gardens.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

IanAB:

Then its some sort of cherry or plum (prunus) species. :)

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ianab

Sorry - Nope to the prunus and locust.

It still has some leaves on the lower branches so I'll post another pic later that should be a giveaway.

SwampDonkey

hmm, not Quercus, Tilia or Prunus? I give up. :)

hmm Elm? buds aren't right.

Ianab

yeah... I thought it would be a toughy  ;)
Here's a pic of some leaves, that should help.

OneWithWood

Ginko Baloba (or something like that )
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

whitepe

I agree with Robert.. Ginko
We had a bunch of them growing in the dormitory
quadrangle at school.  They were the dorm
manager's pride and joy.  One student got drunk and
ripped all the bark off of one of them.
As reward,  the jerk was expelled from school.
I was told they were native to China.
Does anyone know for sure?

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

SwampDonkey

I've heard of them, but know nothing at all about them. 'cept I see they use it in diet supplements. I've heard they actually have little value as a medicine. There are alot of plants used in rituals and don't neccessarily have any benefit to human health. I hope my memory isn't failing, someone will correct me I'm sure. :D :D ;D

Ianab

Ginkgo is correct. 8)
Originally from China, it's the only species remaining of the family Ginkgoaceae, but was very comon in fossils from 150 mil years ago. It's is not a hardwood and is normaly grouped in with the softwoods although it's not related to any of them either. Trees are believed to live for up to 1,000 years
Anyway it's an interesting tree, mines only about 6ft high yet... ::)

Ian

Minnesota_boy

Ian,
Keep us updated on how long that tree of yours lives.  Once every century or so should be often enough.  I'd really like to know how long it lives.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!