iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry Burl..real purty..

Started by Kedwards, May 20, 2004, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kedwards

I sliced a cherry burl tonight on the bandsaw. Got a block 13"X10"X5" thick (weighs 18+lbs) and lots of smaller blocks 3x4x5 's etc including some knife scale stuff. Has anyone here used pentacryl to prevent checking? I have about 20 of these 20lbers I want slice up to sell, but dont want to muss them up if pentacryl doesn't work. here is the pick of the biggy. I stuffed it in a trash bag to prevent checking..

http://www.sawmillnc.com/images/album/20040520/cherryburl.JPG

His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

beenthere

That is a beauty of a burl. I'll be interested in comments about the pentacryl. Have you any experience with it for anything else?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Please only link to larger files, don't use the image tags. Large files are tough for somebody that has a 13 inch monitor and a 28 modem.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kedwards

sorry about the large image..meant to only link..
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Jeff

No problemo. There is just a small fee for da goof. You could send me that burl... ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kedwards

WV_hillbilly

I don't know about the preservative but that is a nice looking piece of wood .
Hillbilly

Buzz-sawyer

Kedwards
have you tried to cut that burl into thin veneer?
You could get some nice stuff...have you ever cut veneer?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kedwards

I haven't ever cut veneer. How would you do that? Or is that tempting the fates?

SwampDonkey

I've used 2-in-one epoxy on air dried lathe turnings to prevent checking. Has worked great, the wood never moves. I also find that hard maple and white ash , air dried, don't move much. Of course hard maple with alot of heart will move and twist. Air dried cherry is risky business though.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Here's Gordon Dunphy's website of his turnings. He uses burls and all kinds of woods and figured specimens in his work. He lives near Fredericton, NB along the Nashwaak R. I never met Gordon myself, but I had a close friend who knew him well and was also a woods craftman. They both would go about gathering burls and different wood specimens for their works of art.

enjoy :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Most of the wood I see for sale for turning, are sealed with parifin.  I think they melt it in a pot and brush it on. Then they let the person that buys it worry about drying it.  Be sure to seal the end grain particularly.

I wouldn't put anything on your burls but parafin. I've heard that once wood is treated with pentacryl, it is difficult to get a finish to cure on the wood. I've never used the stuff, it's just what I've read about it.

Sealing the wood would be cheaper for you and would also allow the buyer more latitude on what he wants to do with the wood.    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kedwards

I coated this particular burl with anchorseal and it looks good so far. I'll experiment with parrafin on the next one.

SwampDonkey

Forgot to mention, I like the figures in your cherry burl also. If you could slice it for veneer for inlays or panels on doors it would be awesome in an end board or maybe for someone making a grand father clock case. You definately don't want to cover it up with a doiley or other cloth. Too nice of stuff. :)

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!