iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon 511AX Grinder Question

Started by spinner, November 08, 2013, 09:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

So there is a adjustment for when the grinding wheel gets wore down but in the instructions It don't explain it very good. Does anyone know how to set it, perhaps a video link. thanks. Them instructions that come with the grinder are garbage.

Philbert

I don't have this model.  And agree that the instructions are terrible - like the manual for it's predecessor, which only makes sense after you already understand how to use it.

From my reading of the manual, section 27 seems to say that you look at the grinding wheel through the clear guard (figure 34).  When the wheel diameter is reduced to the mark 'A' on the guard, it is time to adjust the vise to compensate for the wheel wear.

Loosen the 2 bolts under the grinder (figure 35), and slide the vise assembly back until the pointer lines up with the 'A' marked on the scale (figure 36).

I frequently switch wheels for different sized chains, so I guess you have to watch out for that and adjust accordingly.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Philbert

P.S. - I was unable to attach a PDF of the manual due to its size, but I found it at this location (select link for manual): http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/511AXBenchChainGrinder.htm

spinner

that bottom piece that you slide the pointer to "A", is always there on "A", I don't see how the wheel wearing down makes the base move off the letter "A". kinda hard to explain, wish I woulda bought a silvey grinder maybe.

Philbert

I am guessing that with a new (full size) grinding wheel the pointer should be at '0'?

I know that this seems like a small adjustment.  On my 511A grinder, moving the centering screw on the vise just 1/8 of a turn makes a big difference in keeping the Right and Left cutters the same length.

(I can't figure out what the other markings on this scale are for.  Don't see anything in the manual.  Maybe it works with other attachments?)

Philbert

spinner

Thanks for the help, yeah I don't know why its got such a huge adjustment scale on it. I will just keep tinkering with it. Take er easy.

bandmiller2

I have one of the first grinders of that type that came in from Italy. As the wheel wears things also change. What I've always done is sharpen one side, pivot vice and readjust to take off the same amount, close enough if you pay attention to your work. You can also measure cutter length with calipers and adjust accordingly. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Same as Frank here, also if the cutters are hair off it doesn't matter.   steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!