iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tennis elbow

Started by Woodboogah, November 08, 2013, 04:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Has anyone had a case of this from running saws all day?  Hurts like hell in the morning but get working and its fine.  I have been doing some stretches in the morning.  Curious to see if this has been a problem with anyone else and how you delt with it.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Peter Drouin

How big is your saw,  :o   :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

CCC4

We always called it sawmill elbow...but tennis elbow is more correct I think. Anyway, are you a full time cutter or just every now and then? If full time, and this has just started happening for ya then maybe you strained a tendon in your elbow. If a part timer, then it will eventually pass with the more you run your saw.

As far as medication...I am not a fan of pain meds at all. The thing that really works for tendon pain is (2) Aleve per day and you should be fine.

Even after years of running a saw, I still have flair ups and the tendon will hurt pretty bad, but it usually works it's way out. I damaged my tendon in my elbow using a pair of short handled "crimpers" at the sawmill. I felt the tendon roll off my elbow actually. Some years later I was hauling wire tied alfalfa hay, I came to the outside rows and yanked up a green bale and damaged my tendon once again. The 2nd time took almost a year to heal.

The reason we called it sawmill elbow was due to the green horns dealing with their bodies getting adjusted to the work load...usually took about two weeks...if they stayed that long...and they were generally fine.

Good luck with that...I know it can be very painful.

Tree Killer

I use one of those velcro compression braces that i got from walmart plus a lil icy hot calms my tennis elbow down .

stumphugger

Hurt something else, and the elbow pain will go away.  That's how it works for me.

LaegersATC500R

I used to have it years ago. It would flair up every now and then but I lived with it. I do a lot of cutting and it went away. Now my arms are "strong like bull"  and never had it again. ;D
Morton Downey Jr. was a good man.

MJD

I had it, it was so BAD at night I would have to hang my arm off the side of the bed, that was the only way the pain would go away. When I would get cutting again the pain was gone.

Magicman

Yes, and it is easily aggravated again.  The arm band described above will certainly help, but for it to heal, avoiding the outward pressure (that makes it hurt) is necessary.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Philbert

Hey WB!

Tennis elbow is a form of tendonitis.  It takes a long time to heal (months) and is the kind of thing that can be easily aggravated again.

You can try over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs (Motrin, Alieve, etc.) or talk to a doctor about steroids.  Or a physical therapist about stretching, deep tissue massage, etc.

The Velcro wrap Tree Killer mentioned is a good way to prevent reoccurrence: prevents muscles in your forearm from fully flexing, which reduces tension on the tendons.  But it won't 'cure it'.

As suggested, look at the saws you are running, and go with the lightest, best balanced ones you can.  Also take a look at lower vibration saws if that is possible - it is one of the risk factors for a bunch of related problems.

Sorry.

Philbert

North River Energy

If you want to develop tendinitis of the elbow, a good way to do so is to maintain a tight grip on a heavy object with your fingers, while holding your elbows at an acute angle.

(This was one of the reasons I got out of rock climbing many years ago).

If you can, loosen/vary your grip on the saw, and also make sure that you are not holding the affected elbow in tension for sustained periods.

You should then be able to avoid/reduce further discomfort.

That and pay close attention to hydration/electrolytes, and nutrition.

As Philbert suggests, use a lighter saw, and if it is your right elbow, use a different finger on the throttle.

John Mc

Another great way to develop tennis elbow is to pick up pieces of firewood one handed by the end and throw them (throwing them backhanded is especially effective).

It seems the combination of grabbing with your fingers, with your wrist bent back 90˚, and then the backhand toss is a great way to combine just about every wrong thing you can do to put strain on those tendons -- or so my physical therapist wife tells me. Unfortunately, I didn't hear this until AFTER I had spent a few days tossing split pieces away from my splitter.

I guess you can eventually "work harden" yourself enough to handle doing this, but I tend to get the "Weekend Warrior" syndrome:  don't do it at all for months, then go at it solid for a few days.  Once you've got it, you need to take it easy until things heal up.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Philbert

Good point on the firewood handling.

Anybody use those firewood grippers Bailey's sells (look like a piece of garden hose with metal hooks on each end)?

Philbert

Woodboogah

I chop everyday.  Well some weeks every day.  Mostly 6 days a week.  I switched from using my 460 to my 362.  Seemed to help a little.  I don't like going to the drs.  I have been massaging and stretching it at night and in the morning. Feels better until the following day..  thanks for all the replies.  I will try one of those straps or bands.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

John Mc

Philbert -

I use firewood tongs that look like this:

They work well.  You do need to dress the tips on occasion to keep them sharp, particularly when picking up smooth-barked logs like Beech.  In addition to helping avoid tennis elbow, they've been a real back saver when splitting firewood. You can grab a log one handed, and don't have to bend down as far to pick it up.  They are great for picking up round wood, but not as good when picking up split pieces.

These are made by Husqvarna, but others make similar tongs.  Husky sells tongs with jaw openings of either 8" or 12".  I use the smaller: it's easier to carry, and I can still pick up logs up to about 12" diameter (much bigger than that, and I'm not likely to be using one hand anyway).

I cut firewood with a group of friends.  After seeing my tongs in action, a couple of the other folks went out and got some of their own.

I bought a log grabber of the type you describe (looks like a piece of garden hose with hooks on the end).  They just didn't work well for me - I was constantly having to "set" the points manually in the ends of the logs. So now they sit unused in my toolbox.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

WM is now offering a similar "Log Carrier" #CHLC1.  I got one and used it today.  It worked perfectly.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

My right elbow does bother me at the end of a long day running the saw, but both my shoulders are worse. It gives me (and the wife) a fit at night when I get in bed. I always start off sleeping on my side, but I can usually only remain on one side for maybe five minutes before I MUST switch. Usually once I'm up in the morning, the previous day's pain has gone away, making way for this day's new aches and pains. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Quote from: Philbert on November 11, 2013, 11:28:22 AM
Good point on the firewood handling.

Anybody use those firewood grippers Bailey's sells (look like a piece of garden hose with metal hooks on each end)?

Philbert

I have one, and it works great !!

Also have the log carrier tongs, John Mc posted and it works great for handling small diam. logs in the woods.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Philbert

Just ordered a hookaroon, but that is more about saving your back than your elbows.

Philbert

North River Energy

Another vote for the Husqvarna/Bahco log tongs.  Add a trigger and you have a bit of a game changer.
Takes a lot of stress off the back, hands and arms while feeding the splitter.

John Mc

What does the trigger do?  It looks as though it's for holding the tongs open.

I just drop my tongs down over the log, and usually the shape of the underside of the hooks pushes it open, then it grabs when I lift.  If the trigger makes the process simpler, I'll have to look in to adding one. I'm just not sure what it gains you from looking at the picture.

Fatcougar

I get the same thing some times from over doing it. An ice pack on the tender area in the evening makes a huge difference... give it a try, it definately helps. :snowball:
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

beenthere

John Mc
I was thinking that the trigger might be to help release the log. Least that is a thought I've had when using the carrier. It picks up fine but trying to toss the piece off is sometimes a bit of a problem with the hooks wanting to "hang on" to the wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

North River Energy

JMc:
The trigger provides selective control over the tips for both grabbing and chucking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75qmbmgZWc&feature=youtu.be

I have another set without the trigger, and they sit idle due to the lack of dexterity.

Philbert

Is that 'trigger' factory installed, or a home brew design?

Thanks.

Philbert

John Mc

Triggering the release would be helpful.  99% of the time, I can release the log and toss it with just the right flick of my wrist.  That other 1% can be an unwanted surprise, though: I go to toss the log, it doesn't release, and it ends up pulling me after it (somehow I don't seem to have the reflex to just let go of the handle when that happens).

Thank You Sponsors!