iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new grinder setup

Started by weberry5252, November 07, 2013, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weberry5252

Hi everyone I have a bench mount sharpener and not quite sure how to set up the angles Ive got a chisel Chane 3/8 pitch 38' long . Ive always used a file this is my first grinder I bought it from Tractor supply seems to be a good one . when i tried to sharpen a chain the adj. for length of tooth i had set for one side then when i moved it for other side i had to back off the knob that's adj. the length is that normal ?? BOTH CUTTERS ARE THE SAME LENGTH !!! After my first attempt to sharpen chain im getting small to medium chips not the big chips before i hit the ground and yes i know KEEP YOUR CHAIN OUT OF THE DIRT !!! LOL
                                                      THANKS; Bill     :-\
BILL

IndianSprings

I always give customers a couple of inches of new chain, usually both .325 and 3/8ths and tell them to put in their grinder vice and adjust their wheel to the new chain (Stihl) and mark it on their degree wheel with a sharpie.
I have seen grinder degree gauges be off several degrees depending on the brand of grinder.
I also tell them to take the rakers down 25/1000ths below the top plate. In my 35+ years of sharpening chains I have never been able to match a good hand filed chains level of sharpness with a grinder, irregardless of the brand of grinder wheel, whether it be a stone wheel or cbn. Grinders have there place I use one most of the time due to time constraints, and accept what they can produce. Maybe you can give chain the balance of time and sharpness by grinding your chains then using a file for a couple of passes, I have found this to be a good way to
balance out the time and level of sharpness I desire after years of hand filing.
Indian Springs Farm
Firewood Purveyor
Orchard Grass & Alfalfa Hay
Stihl 660,460,441,440,038,361,261x2,028,200T,032,030
Homelite Super EZ, Dolmar 133,143
JD Farm Equipment
Buy made in the USA

Philbert

Bill,

If your vise is not centered relative to the grinding wheel, you will get different length R & L cutters.

The instructions for centering your vise varies with the model.  On the Oregon 511A (and some clones) this is done with the screw in the middle of the vise 'jaws', opposite the locking cam.  Even an 1/8 turn of this screw can make a difference! 

The newer Oregon 511AX has a self-centering vise and and an adjustment for grinding wheel wear to compensate for this.

IndianSprings comment on adjusting your vise to match new chain is a good idea, and what I recommend.  Place the new chain in the vise and also try to match the angles.  You may also find that the angles marked on your grinder's scales are not accurate.  You may find that '30 degrees' is really '29 degrees' R and '31 degrees' L for example.

If you can't adjust the scale (remove the plate, make the holes longer, remount) make a note for yourself so that you get them correctly.

I always grind the teeth on one side, then grind ONE tooth on the other side to compare them.  That way, I can make any adjustments (length or angle) to match, or catch any mistakes I made in grinder set up, before I do all of the cutters on the other side.

Philbert

weberry5252

Thanks guys for the info my chain has been sharpened by file many times so the angles are different ill just have to get a new chain to get this chains angles correct .
                                                                      Thanks again:Bill
BILL

Oliver1655

Bill, I have to check the placement on the cutter when I change from side to side.  This is real common.  As Phil said, on some grinders you can center the vise but on most budget grinders you will find it is not an option.  Plus even if it did match up when you rotated the vise, it is no guarantee the cutters will end up the same length. The reason is on one side while sharpening the stone will pull the cutter into the wheel while it will push the cutter away when you grind the other side. This effect will become more prominent at the chain wears/stretches & the links gain slop. As a result, this is not a concern to me. I will sharpen one side of several chains then change to the other side as I have to readjust anyway.  I find this much faster for me.  If you have a set of calipers or a machinist's ruler you can compare side to try to keep the cutters the same length. 

As you gain skill & learn the traits of your machine, you will be able to anticipate how the chain will interact with the grinding wheel & you will find yourself adjusting for it automatically. :-)
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

weberry5252

Thanks Oliver I did measure the cutters and adj. the stop to make them very very close +/- .02 " . Im going to use an angle gauge to check the angle on both cutters.
                                                            Thanks; Bill
BILL

Thank You Sponsors!