iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta get 'em in the right holes

Started by LeeK, November 07, 2013, 10:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeK

So there I was, ready to drop a nice maple which would fall across the woods road so I could chunk it up, back the truck right up to it, load and go.  Filled the husqy 353 with gas and bar oil, only use the vegetable oil bar oil, by the way, rules of the community forest.  Fired it up, immediately enveloped in a cloud of blue smoke.  Stalled, tried again, same result, and again, same.  Whoa.  Punch line: gas in the oil hole, oil in the gas hole.  Dumped it out, got it right this time, started it up, yes blue smoke, but it diminished little by little and then it ran just fine.  Whew.  I don't imagine any of you guys have ever done that.
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 353, ported, xp top
2-Way Honda-Powered Splitter
'94 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4, 8' bed, inspected

Hillbilly Rick

:D :DNot laughin' atcha brother, laughin' with ya. Done plenty of brain farts, just not that one...yet.
The good thing is, no damage.
Socially unacceptable, Politically incorrect
Stihl MS 460 magnum with big bore kit, ported
J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Older than many on this site, Homelite XL
Ford F-350 7.3 diesel crew cab, flatbed, dually 4x4
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

sablatnic

Been there   :embarassed:
And worse  :embarassed: :embarassed:

Fuelled the lawn mower with chain oil. Spent some time cleaning the mess, and then refuelled it with polyester!! Cleaned it, and cleaned it and cleaned it. And ran it and cleaned it again.
Seems it can't be cleaned away!!

Have an other lawnmower now.

mad murdock

Early in our logging past, my older brother and I were working one of our first bonafide logging jobs on our own as teenagers.  We had a 300 cord contract for the summer, and on one of those hot summer days, we were taking a break, eating  sandwich, and gassing up the saws.  He reaches over and grabs the bar oil jug, thinking it was the water jug, and takes a whole mouthfull before he realizes what it is! It took him the whole rest of that day to get the oil taste out of his mouth :D He said it was the worst tasting stuff he had ever tasted!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John Mc

I haven't swapped fuel and oil yet.  I have managed to dump both a tank of bar oil and a tank of fuel on my right pant leg (on separate occasions) when I picked up the saw and had forgotten to screw the cap back on.

I cut firewood in the same cooperatively-owned forest that Lee does, and also use the veggie-based bar oil (started using it a few years before we both became co-owners of the forest).  Some years ago, when my son, Peter, was probably 2 or 3, I left the first jug I had ever purchased of the veggie-based bar oil in my entry hallway. It was the middle of winter, and I was not sure how well it would flow in the cold. After getting together the rest of my gear, I came in to get the bar oil, and found my son sitting in a large puddle of the oil, with it smeared all over his hands, face and shirt, and soaked in to his pants. Some of it had obviously made it into his mouth. I was in a panic (still thinking of it as regular petroleum-based B&C oil, wondering if I needed to induce vomiting or something). I started looking up the poison control center number, then grabbed the jug and called the number on the label.  The guy they put me through to said "nothing to worry about.  There is nothing toxic in there. He's basically drank some canola oil with a few additives. The only reason it's not 'food grade' is because we don't process it in stainless steel containers and take other food-type precautions.  You may notice that his digestive system is a bit more 'lubricated' than usual."  Peter was fine.  I was glad I had just made the switch to the veggie oil - and fortunate that I had not put off switching any longer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

QuoteHe said it was the worst tasting stuff he had ever tasted!

Near like when I cooked sausage and eggs in Joy dish soap thinking it was sent along to deer camp and thought it was cooking oil. My close hunting buddy wolf's his food down and had a couple good bites before asking what might be wrong with the eggs and sausage. Dawned on me when I just mouthed a bite... Duh!!.
That was why the cooking oil frothed up a bit while cooking eggs...
He had a rough day hunting and for some reason was real cautious about my cooking after that !!!
(but I still was the camp cook..  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Babylon519

Did the gas 'n oil hole mixup on my very first outing with the new MS441 toward the end of the day when I was hurrying to finish up. Spent the next half hour draining and cleaning, rinse-and-repeat! It all worked out fine. Found out just about everybody's done that at one time or another.   :-\  - Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

MidWestTree

Well, maybe you flushed out any gunk that may have built up over time in the oiler system :D

thecfarm

When I did it,it would not even fire. Than I came too.  ::) Somehow I knew I had done wrong. I have not done it in years. Than in 2 weeks I'll be back posting about how I did it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on November 07, 2013, 08:39:08 PM
I have not done it in years. Than in 2 weeks I'll be back posting about how I did it.

Lee may have jinxed us all by talking about it...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Hillbilly Rick

smiley_beertoast That's some good stuff there. The Mrs. thinks I'm nuts when I'm sittin' here all quiet like then bust out laughin'.
One guy I logged for used nothing but used motor oil, gas engine and diesel mixed, after filling my saw I walked off, looked down, and yes, big black stain all the way down the front of my pants.
J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

Ljohnsaw

My old Mac had the oil on the side with a little cap and the gas on the top with a big cap.  Never messed up on that.  Got a new Stihl and the caps look the same and are on the same side.  I dumped fuel into the oil and thought, boy, that looks strange - then when I went to put the oil in the gas.  I looked at the international symbol and thought, that is a funny symbol for oil, it looks like a gas pump...  At least I only screwed up half way!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sablatnic

My uncle called yesterday, his neighbour couldn't start his chainsaw. Guess what; oil in two holes!

Got it running again in ten minutes, and was paid a cup of coffee and some cookies.

Hillbilly Rick

J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

sablatnic

Quote from: Hillbilly Rick on November 08, 2013, 01:27:46 PM
Home made cookies?? ;D

Unfortunately not, out of a plastic bag, but they weren't bad.

The view wasn't bad either;

Sorry Rick, i wasn't thinking! You were thinking cookies like these, right?

7sleeper

Haven't had that happen to me yet. But I have refilled the oil, went for a quick trip behind a tree and continued up into a tree to continue cutting branches. Well I noticed my dad yelling at me from below. Someone had forgotten to screw the cap tight and the oil dumped onto my shirt and ran over and into my pants! Wasn't funny!

turnkey

My biggest 'face/palm' was to haul a saw to the dealer complaining that it wouldn't oil.  Yep.  Tank full of fuel.

Better was when I hauled my homemade splitter out of winter storage and it wouildn't fire. Pulled plug to see it should have been replaced a decade or so sooner - off to town for new plut, back, installed, pull,  pull...pull play with choke, etc. nothing.  Hookup to the truck and tow (at 25mph in 65mph highway traffic) to town to the fix-it guy.  As I was unhooking is spotted the ignition lead laying innocently by the plug.  Hurried reconnect and hookup again but not fast enough.  Fix-it guy was watching from the shop door.

Harry K

coxy

three times this week oil down my leg and other places errr >:(  trying to hurry and be done for hunting season next week  8)

Hilltop366

I don't recall doing the oil/gas switch but sometime last year I caught myself just before doing it several times, so now I only open one cap on the saw and one can at a time and try to fill the oil first every time to make a routine thinking it will reduce the chances. Another reason I do the oil first is if I forget one it will be the gas so no harm done.

turnkey

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 08, 2013, 04:49:46 PM
I don't recall doing the oil/gas switch but sometime last year I caught myself just before doing it several times, so now I only open one cap on the saw and one can at a time and try to fill the oil first every time to make a routine thinking it will reduce the chances. Another reason I do the oil first is if I forget one it will be the gas so no harm done.

Somewhat OT but...

On mixing gas.  I came within a whisker of straight gasing 3 saws one day.

My usual routine was to empty a one gallon dose into the can, add gas.  That day I filled the gas can got the saws, fueled all up and started to put the saws away when something tickled the old brain cell about the oil bottle still sitting there.  Best to do things the same way every time.

Harry K

Hilltop366

OT?

All I can come up with is: over time, old testament, occupational therapist.

NCFarmboy

Haven't done the gas oil thing but!  Years ago when mix oil was RED ( still have a bottle) woman was weedeating with a new FS85 Stihl weedeater I had just bought.  Ran out of gas came to me where is gas?  I told her exactly where to look.  She brought can I poured a little out it was Red.  She filled it up and the little thing pulled on the cord til it was a shame.  Came to me "I tore your weedater up I'm so sorry".  I didn't have time to work on it sent it to Outdoor Power in Murphy, NC 60mi round trip.  Went to get it I asked them what was wrong?  He laughed and said "they don't run on Kerosene".  Charged me $15.00 for dumping it out and putting a little mixed gas in it.
Shep   
Lots & Lots of Saws

John Mc

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 09, 2013, 08:30:12 AM
OT?

All I can come up with is: over time, old testament, occupational therapist.

Off Topic

Al_Smith

Eventually given enough time at some time at least three things will happen .You will oil the gas tank,put a chain on backwards and rock a chain .

I once anti freezed a weedwacker and gassed a radiator .Same jug ,same color .Things happen .

grweldon

Last weekend my wife just happened to be watching me when I was fueling up the saw.  She stopped me from putting gas in the oil hole... :o
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!