iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a chair, winter 2013-14 project. :)

Started by SwampDonkey, November 07, 2013, 05:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

This winter's project is to build a chair. Not just a bare wooden chair, but upholstered as well. These old bones like some padding. :D I have never built a chair before. So I went a searching for available resources on various sites. It seems Jeff Miller's book on designing and building chairs rises to the top. I ordered it off Amazon, and should arrive today I expect. What I think will make a great companion to the book, is Miller's blog. Seems he teaches chair building all over the eastern US.

Here's his blog page.

http://furnituremaking.com/wordpress

So I will be armed with Miller's book as well as a couple books on upholstery.

The chair build is to be a French style fauteuil (foe-toy) arm chair. Might as well make it a good challenge. ;D

The upholstery fabric will be hand woven of course. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Have you picked one out yet?  I am assuming that you will have a pattern.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I will be in design mode first using old Louis XV-XVI era chairs and looking at the modern styles. I find the old chairs have a more curved round form in the chair back, the modern ones are not so much, but they curve the legs. The curve in the legs seem more Queen Anne. Everything else seems to follow the same design. I have some old books here from the digital archives from 19C authors, out of copyright. Lots of ideas. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Here is a frame of reference so we know what a fauteuil is. This particular one has a 'fiddle' back. Many shown in the book have medallion (oval) shaped backs. Notice the straight legs, they are also fluted but not very visible here. From 'French Furniture Under Louis XVI and the Empire', Roger De Felice (1920).

Some the modern ones cushion the seat. That usually means there is a cord trim, which I do not like on a chair. I find it uncomfortable on the back of the legs when sitting long. So no cord for me. ;D

Lud

I understand that as a weaver, you want to make the cloth and the chair both.  Very admirable.  I'd suggest you consider making an ottoman as well or some other kind of footrest as those upright kind of chair make my legs numb...eventually.

As an aside, make the chair "right" out of wood and you don't need the fabric.  The 10 chairs I built last Spring have been tested considerably and folks seem to sit and talk around the table long after dinner's finished! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

:D :D I'm sure there's lots to talk about to.

Don't think of old uncomfortable stuffed antique chairs at your aunt's house, think more modern. I couldn't use something like an ottoman, my knees can't stand them.  Everyone is built different, eh?  ;)

Holmes

This will be a very interesting project.  What is your guestimate on man hours? 3 months 40 hrs a week?
Think like a farmer.

SwampDonkey

Most of the winter I suspect. The scrim (plain) and webbing straps (herringbone) have to be woven from linen as well. There is a tool or two that I'm going to hand make as well, one is the 'slot and peg' webbing stretcher. Pretty simple tool. Need some horse hair and cotton for stuffing, horse hair has some spring to it so it recovers when compressed. I may find the cotton wadding in Bangor, Maine in my travels. I want all natural fibres. ;D It's going to be a rather expensive chair with the time factor. I have to learn as I go.  ;)

Mooseherder

After your impressive loom build this looks like childsplay for you. ;D

SwampDonkey

Carving and shaping wood by hand takes me a while. Need the practice. ;D

JohnM

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 10, 2013, 09:11:12 AM
I may find the cotton wadding in Bangor, Maine in my travels. I want all natural fibres. ;D
SD, what store in Bangor has the wadding?  Just curious.  You mentioned natural fibers, this store is just down the road from me http://www.peruvianlink.com/ .  I've stopped in a couple of times over the years, they are NOT selling to the locals! :o :D  Very pricey!  Amherst, Maine is not the first place most folks would look to buy high end, handmade clothing.  I'm guessing most of their sales are online and/or coastal Maine and south.  But an alpaca covered chair would be pretty swank! 8)  I can run down and check fiber costs if you'd like.

Looking forward to the build!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

SwampDonkey

I was doing some checking online and looks like I'll be shopping online at a place in Massachusetts. Cotton and horse hair, the cheapest I've seen and they ship across borders. Love the internet.  8) 8) 8)

Will be using Harrisville wool yarn I believe for fabric, might experiment with using linen weft for softness.

Lud

The Boss says you want to use linen for the warp for strength and the Harrisville wool for the weft.

You might consider a tight sett for wear in the fabric.  Usually upholstry is woven in a twill pattern ,  again for durability and strength.  You may want to check out Sharon Alderman, a pro weaver , who has done a lot of commission weaves and written several article/books.  (Mastering Weave Structures)  .  Just the Boss's 2 cents. 8)

(I merely fingered the keyboard) ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Yup, I know that book. Been in discussions over at Weavolution over combinations of fibres. But, yes the sett needs the be tight tweed if using wool in the covering fabric, but scrim is in a plain weave between the stuffing layers. ;D And muslin (I'm not weaving) goes under the top fabric.

Got some good books and helpful weavers. Tell the wife appreciate the insights and help. :) Makes sense with the linen warp because it doesn't shrink as much (linen) as wool does. Great. ;)

Lud

Boss says , "Happy Weaving".   Glad we could help. 

Whenever I lack for direction, I know who to go to...........

Now you do too........................ :D

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

As I might have mentioned earlier, I need a new table saw fence. So I ordered a new Incra fence and rail system. From what I understand, this 32" one installs on standard 27" depth table saws like mine with no drilling.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0007UQ2CS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Anyway a regular square tube rail and fence for my saw is over $300, so might as well get a better one for $460. :D Anyway my saw will never wear out in my time. ;)

Ordered some linen and wool today as well. Parted with a few Prime Minister Bordens it seems.  Merry Christmas to me. ;D

Lud

So ,   any update pictures on the chair?  The wife wants to know......

And Happy New Year  to you! 8)

SwampDonkey

In the new year Lud. I have not done any wood working yet this winter. So I ordered that fence and rail for now. Soon, very soon I will venture down. Been a hard past few weeks with my dad's health failing and him passing away on the 21st.

Been blanket weaving in the meanwhile.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Holy crap Batman! That Incra fence and rail is heavy stuff. I just checked the UPS website and it's a 51 lb package. I thought Amazon sold out of Ontario, but this thing is coming clear from Vancouver. And free shipping.  :o My saw is going to be about 200 lbs with that sucker on there. :D

Lud

My condolences on your Dad's passing.  2013 saw some family and friends passing for us as well so know where you're at.  Hearing of someone else's loss always triggers the math of how long it's been since I lost the same relative......coming up on 9 years for my Dad.  He made 86 and had competed in the Senior Olympics at 80.  He believed in Carpe Diem and I learned it from him.

Good luck with the new Fence.   Maybe it'll bring a little accuracy to your work! ;D

Magicman

The specs. on that Incra fence are eye popping.  What are you going to blame your mistakes on ??   ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Holmes

Hi  Swamp  Did you start the project yet  ;D or are you just teasing everyone with your new toys, tools? :D 8)
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!