iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a chair, winter 2013-14 project. :)

Started by SwampDonkey, November 07, 2013, 05:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Bridal cords in place.

Horse hair applied under the bridal cords. More hair is applied to the front to build it up so the seat is sloped backward. This is so the occupant doesn't feel he's being ejected from the seat.  ;D

Topping of scrim applied and temporarily tacked. More hair can be added to shape things more by removing temporary tacks. The layers will be secured to sandwich the first stuffing using twine and a long baronet needle.  ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Looks like said occupant will be comfortable.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

This deal sure looks like a lot of work. :-\

I'm thinkin' you'll be needing that chair by the time it is done. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

I work slow.  ;D

Starting to give some shape to the seat with some twine that is thread through the seat to sandwich the stuffing between the scrim layers. It is not thread into the webbing nor interfere with the springs.  And yes it's a very big needle. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Just Me

I really admire the way you can master so master disciplines.

Larry

SwampDonkey

Here the first stuffing is shaped with a series of sewn cord in rows around the circumference, ending with a rolled edge at the top. It is sewn so the cord grabs hair and pulled toward the scrim for a firm edge. Now more bridals need to be added for the second stuffing of horse hair and this time cotton batting on top. ;D

I should be in the high end mattress business.  8)

mesquite buckeye

Would it take all winter to make one? I hear they are quite pricey... :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

The stuffing would cost about as much as most mattress are sold at discount furniture stores. And we ain't talking foam. ;D

SwampDonkey

Stuffed the back and added the stuffing ties. I may add a small amount of hair to the edge to firm it up a little more under the scrim. Then I have to add a layer of cotton and muslin over it.

I have a nice padding at the lower back area. A must for me.

This chair is going to be mighty comfy.  8)

mesquite buckeye

Looks like you may get it done by the time the sun moves back north. ;D

SwampDonkey

It is creeping along nicely.  ;D

I think I have too many hobbies.  Hmm, did I type that? :D

SwampDonkey

Starting to apply the top upholstery I wove. Did just the back today. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW Swamp, I had no idea this chair would look this nice.
How many hours do you have in this project?

I'm impressed!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

I just putter away now and again, so it's hard to say how much time. I'm never in much hurry.

I call it the king's chair, king of what I don't know. ;D  :D

WmFritz

SD,
You bought some thread or twine in Bay City from a friend of mine last summer.
Was that used on this project?

Your chair is gorgeous by the way.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Linen twine to anchor the springs to the frame. I bought enough for a lifetime. ;D It's the best you can get to. ;)

SwampDonkey

I finished up today. And covered the back and bottom with linen.

beenthere

Something to be real proud of.  8)

Nice skill you have with wood and fabric.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Thanks! Keeps a man busy when it's cold out. Much nicer wood working or weaving in a dry warm place.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!