iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frame is up

Started by Dan Miller, November 06, 2013, 06:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Miller

Thanks for all the kind comments folks! It was a long journey to get to this point, but as you might expect, I'm looking for any excuse to spend time in it now.

Dave - we are too far north for it to snow. Literally, the lake effect band rarely comes north of Watertown, which is 20 miles south of here. Though, the last major event came within a half-mile of us. Also, we're not in the woods, but not in town either. Midway between Cape Vincent and Clayton in a river community that is 95% summer folks. Nice and quiet here now - more bald eagles than neighbors, lately.

brendonv - yep, propane. Less muss and fuss, and I can keep things warm while varnishing boats, etc. Best part of it is my wife found the stove (soapstone no less) used for less than half the cost of a new one, and only seven miles down the road.

Matt - I've taken a handful of workshops. The first one was with Don Carpentier and Billy McMillen some 35 years ago. More recently Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon's Hancock Village workshop and the cruck framing workshop at Heartwood School.

As a result, I framed an addition, a 2-car garage and two outbuildings at our last place down near Albany. They were all square-rule frames. This was my first scribed frame, and I must admit it beat me up pretty good. Apart from excavation and concrete, I only had four days of help - three for the raising and my boys helped me put in the big window units.

Cheers,
Dan

Dave Shepard

Scribe rule is my favorite. It allow you to use some funky stuff, and you suddenly aren't so worried about how straight or square most of your timbers are. I'd like to build a small TF woodworking shop. I like the idea of puttering around on a timber, stoking a woodstove, and looking out at piles of snow. ;D For now, I'll have to settle for my stick built garage with the noisy Modine heater. :)

Interesting about the snow. A friend of mine built a hydro plant up there years ago. St. Regis Falls, I think. He said they used a road grader with a wing plow on it to plow the roads, and often the snow would be up in the power wires on the side of the road. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!