iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identify this insect

Started by kelLOGg, November 06, 2013, 05:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

A brief look on the web didn't show it. I see them on pines.
Thanks,
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

MJD

thecfarm

Chompers.  :D  I have them here in Maine too. They think easten white pine is candy. My Father and me cut some white pine back in 93-96. We could hear them things chew on the slash and if the limb was up in the air we could see the sawdust come out of the hole. Them critters must be in the air or on the ground. They can find the candy somehow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kytimberman

We always called them stump f**ers.  They lay their eggs in fresh cut pine stumps and tops.

SwampDonkey

A type of round headed borer, the grub does the boring. Sawyer beetle is an example.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OLD MAN GRINDER

When u see sawdust at the base of the pines and bubble gum looking
stuff on the tree u know they are there.....I used to use lindane spray
on the trees and that would get them if u sprayed in time, don't know
if u can even buy it anymore.....

Bob.... smiley_old_guy
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything..

Chuck White

A few years ago I was sawing some White Ash and at the back of the pile was some fresh-cut White Pine.

There was no sign of the Pine Beetles until I was into my second Pine log.  The first place I saw one was on the sawdust pile.  They never touched the logs, so that tells me that once I started sawing Pine, the smell was in the air and they came in!

Those critters will bite human flesh too!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I've seen them big black sawyers we have up here on spruce logs fresh skid on the yard. They follow them logs like black flies after human blood. :D I've also seen them on old logs to that have been piled for 3 years. Never have been bit.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: OLD MAN GRINDER on November 09, 2013, 06:51:25 PM
When u see sawdust at the base of the pines and bubble gum looking
stuff on the tree u know they are there.....

Yes, a sign of bark beetle attack, and they are bad news.  However, the bug in the pic is not a bark beetle.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Those bugs pictured will only feast on wood that has been cut down. They will not attack a live tree. Or not on my land they don't.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yep, that's right. Not in live trees.

WDH

Like Chuck says, they will BITE you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I treat them critters like grits. I don't get too close.

WDH

Those bugs would go good with grits if you crisped them up good in butter. 

thecfarm

I will take your word on the crispy critters and the grits.  ;D

SwampDonkey

I always mush them I guess before they sink their mandibles. Quicker than a fly whacker.  ;D :D

Barney II

They make good smallmouth bass and trout bait.  The grub form is really great .  Good for ice fishing if you can keep them.  Nip the long horn off when using for trout.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

JohnM

I was splitting a bunch of pine last spring that had been on the ground for quite awhile.  It was loaded with those grubs, I'd fill up the dish and dump them in with the chickens.  The chickens loved the sound of the tractor/splitter starting up! ;D :D

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

AnthonyW

Quote from: JohnM on November 15, 2013, 10:16:06 PM
I was splitting a bunch of pine last spring that had been on the ground for quite awhile.  It was loaded with those grubs, I'd fill up the dish and dump them in with the chickens.  The chickens loved the sound of the tractor/splitter starting up! ;D :D

I have to admit, I'm getting a little tired of them little buggers.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Thank You Sponsors!