iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coating Tools In Hot Oil to Prevent Rust?

Started by Philbert, November 06, 2013, 12:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philbert

I was cleaning an old saw set which was coated in a film that reminded me of a seasoned cast iron frying pan.  I looked around the Internet about dipping tools in hot oil to prevent rusting. Found some comments about using a thin layer of linseed oil.

Was curious if anyone had any knowledge of these types of practices, as opposed to painting the metal, etc.

Thanks.

Philbert

WildDog

I haven't done tools, but with some of my blacksmithing projects I 1st heat then rub with a mix of linseed and beeswax.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Philbert

Magicman

I noticed in the videos that John Neeman uses beeswax on tools as he is building them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

There is a difference between linseed oil and boiled linseed oil.  I wonder if it was cosmoline that you saw?

One of the biggest causes of rust on tools is when they are stored in an unheated area.  What often happens is condensation on metal parts as the temperature and humidity pass through the dew point.  Basically when you have the air warm up quickly and moisture condenses on metal objects that cannot warm up as quickly as the air.  The way to prevent this is to have a heated shop.  You must keep it at least warm enough to prevent passing through the dew point.  This is essential if you are storing classic cars or anything that's metal that you want to prevent corrosion on.  Chrome on cars degrades quickly from passing through the dew point and having repeated condensation.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Philbert

I think of cosmolene as a thick, grease like layer used to protect things in storage. The linseed oil coatings are usually described as very thin, due to the way linseed oil dries (or doesn't).

On the tool I was describing, the coating felt smooth and hard - like a seasoned cast iron frying pan. This is why I assumed it might have been applied hot.

Some descriptions mentioned beeswax being used by blacksmiths, and oil/wax mixtures.

Philbert

36 coupe

Ive always used paste wax on table saw tops and small tools.Linseed oil works on welded projects to keep them from rusting until painted.

21incher

I put oil and sand in a bucket to clean my outdoors tools and it helps control the rust.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

LaneC

We used to boil our connibear traps with water and regular parrifin wax. It worked good until the next year when you just boil them if you want to before setting them for the Dang beavers. If you do this, you need to realize there will be wax stuck to your pot.
Man makes plans and God smiles

davidlarson

I have been developing a hobby of restoring old and sometimes rusty tools.  My technique is to rub off the dirt and some of the rust with PB-Blaster, then buff with a wire brush, either manually or on a grinder, and when everything is shiny, apply a coat or two of automobile paste wax.  Some FF members with more knowledge or experience may have better methods, but this seems to work well for me.
David L.

gfadvm

I have used Boiled Linseed Oil rubbed on all my iron tools for years and it works great in our humid climate. Just be sure to rub off all the excess or you will have a sticky mess.

Philbert

FIL once commented about coating brass with hot tung oil in the military to keep it from tarnishing.  Was one of the things that made me thing about this.

Philbert

Thank You Sponsors!