iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MN timber value

Started by mntimber, November 05, 2013, 09:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mntimber

Hey everyone,  I am new here and am looking for anyones knowledge on some timber prices.

I have piece a property in northeast MN(Tower area)that I really had not been thinking of logging but I now am thinking maybe I should do some logging on it.  I reason I did purchase it was I thought it was a pretty unusual property and I planned on putting a cabin on it. 

It is all very large timber for MN it would appear it has only ever been logged once probably back in the late 1800s.  It has a lot of upland white cedar, mostly larger than 30 inches, real nice trees.  There is also a lot of red maple, paper and yellow birch, and of course balsam fir.  The yellow birch are huge most are over 28 inches and a lot of big paper birch.  The maple is mostly over 20 inches.  There is also a few large white pine and spruce.  There is not a single popple on the property.

I was wondering what you guys think the best way to market this would be.  Most wood around here is sold as pulp wood and birch seems to not be worth much at all as pulp wood.  I would think most of this would be great saw timber or veneer but it seems there is a very limited amount of sawmills around this part of the state.  What kind of prices could I expect?

Thanks

barbender

Welcome to the forum, mntimber. I live in northern MN, I also work in the woods and have a sawmill. It is a tough market up here, I really can't help. I just attended a seminar last week put on by the UMN extension service on managing and marketing lumber from small woodlots, I was hoping to learn of some markets for green hardwood lumber- no one there really knew of any. Our timber industry is geared towards pulp production, and many of the smaller local hardwood mills have disappeared. I'm told there used to be veneer buyers that travelled the state too, I have no idea how you would find one of them. It sounds like you have a very unique piece of property that deserves special attention. Maybe try the local DNR forestry office, one of the foresters may be able to help you out.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

mntimber,welcome to the forum. I'm along ways from you.Your land sounds good to me. Don't do anything hasty. If you do find a logger,PLEASE, check his past work to see how your land will look. Talk to the landowner too.I've had a few people contact me about the logger that I use. I wish more would check first. Sounds like you need a forester to help you. I've heard they are not all the same,get one you like. As someone on here said,logging your land,you only get to do it right once.Good luck. Do ALOT of research.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Clark

Not to rain on your parade but...

Just because you have large trees does not mean they are veneer quality.  While you could have some veneer there, it is highly unlikely that the yellow birch will make that cut. While yellow birch grow here, we are on the NW corner of their range and quite frankly, don't compare to the yellow birch further east.

I would encourage you to think of what trees you would like to see growing there instead of what trees you could cut. It's a slightly different perspective and one that will pay off down the road.  I would also encourage you to talk to a consulting forester about your property. You're a bit too far from me otherwise I'd offer to help.  There is a guy out of Finland who might be able to help you out.

How many acres do you have?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

mntimber

Thanks for the replies guys.  I was thinking that it is a very tough market unless you have pulpwood.

Clark,

I do know just because trees are big does not mean they are veneer quality.  I have cut a few for firewood and they have all been solid trees, very straight.  What do you look for in veneer type wood?  I am thinking the only value in the trees would be as veneer and probably not much else.  It is 60 acres

As far as what trees I would like to have on the property I am pretty happy with what I have there just thinking that it maybe to do some thinning to get the younger trees a better chance.

I have chatted with an area forester but as we know he was saying it is a hard market for most wood other than pulpwood.

beenthere

Veneer log often means no visible break or distortion showing in the bark from overgrown knots, no decay showing in the log centers, and for certain no visible decayed limb holes or limbs that were trimmed off.

Some veneer logs may have one or two indicators in the bark if on one face, but that depends on the demand for veneer logs.

There are variations and finding listings of veneer buyers should be available, likely through the MN DNR.
Sawmills operating in MN should also be available through the DNR.

A quick google turns up some hits, such as
http://www.buyhardwoodveneerlogs.com/tb/the-corporation/sawmill-division
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!