iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Synthetic turbine oil

Started by bandmiller2, November 05, 2013, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Any oil experts here.?? I have ten quarts of Exxon #2380 synthetic turbine oil does it have any practical use outher than aircraft turbine engines.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WmFritz

Frank, I'm no oil expert but I wouldn't use it in my cars or truck. I'd worry about  my seals. I have heard of folks blending it with cheap mineral oil and having no issues. I know it's good stuff and expensive but, turbines don't need detergents and combustion engines do.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mad murdock

Exxon 2380 is a 2nd generation turbine engine oil, it has low coking and anti-foaming qualities, but is useless in an Otto cycle engine.  It is not a good lubricant for a bar oil substitute either. It is used a lot by helicopter operators, if there is one in your area offer it to them for 5 bucks a quart, and they will jump on it, as long as the cans are not all beat up and ugly. New it goes for about 12.50/qt right now, at an FBO, a place at an airport where you would buy jet fuel, they will probably sell it at 15-20/qt.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bandmiller2

Thanks guys,I wouldn't use it in an engine.My uncle told me its  good penetrating oil but how much of that do we use. Frank C.

mad murdock

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 06, 2013, 07:29:42 AM
Thanks guys,I wouldn't use it in an engine.My uncle told me its  good penetrating oil but how much of that do we use. Frank C.
Sell it for what you can get for it, and use the money to buy some blue creeper.  That stuff is REAL penetrant.  The best I have ever used!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bandmiller2

Murdock,I wonder if it would be good to lube my bandsaw bands,I use a wick system with ATF now.May try to look up some copter guys,just seems it would be good for something else. Frank C.

mad murdock

You could certainly try it. I have never tried to use it in anything other than the engines it was certified to run in. I do save the drained helicopter transmission oil that we use in our aircraft at work, for my bar oil. It works really really well. I haven't bought bar oil for 15 years. But the 2380 I think would be too light to use as bar lube. In some helicopters it is also used as transmission oil as well as engine oil. The consistency of the oil cold is pretty much the same as when it is hot, it doesn't thin with heat, and it takes severe temps to get it to coke(carbon up), like upwards of 650-700 deg C. If you wanted the technical specs on the oil, I can see if I can link up a product data sheet for you. It does not have as high a timken load rating as the newest "3rd generation" high thermal stability (HTS) oils that most engines use nowadays, but there are operators I know who still use it, especially in colder climates, because 2380 is a real good oil for cold operations, plus it does not discolor like some of the other brands of oil that are around (like Mobile and Aeroshell).  Here is the link to the current product data sheet  http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/aviation/air_bp_lubricants/STAGING/local_assets/downloads_pdfs/b/346174_BPTO2380_Product_DS_RGB_D2.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!