iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In love with my LUCAS again !

Started by Seaman, November 05, 2013, 01:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

I must give kudos to Casey at LCS, who convinced me my problem was a worn slabber bar. He went out of his way to send me a new bar, when his computers were not even up to bill me :o.
Now THAT'S customer service!
The new bar slabbs perfectly flat, with much less friction, now for the first time I see how you guys push with one hand. Also got rid of the ruffle, and lined up with less shims. I still do not know exactly what is wrong with the old bar, except a lot of obvious wear, new bar is at least an inch wider front to back.
Now I can get to the NINE slabber jobs that are lined up!

Thanks again LCS, looking forward to a lots of Lucas milling.
Frank 
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

GDinMaine

How old is the bar that you are replacing?  Any guess on the hours of use?  I suppose that might be useful info for other guys with slabbers. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

JohnM

Quote from: GDinMaine on November 05, 2013, 01:17:16 PM
How old is the bar that you are replacing?  Any guess on the hours of use?  I suppose that might be useful info for other guys with slabbers.
:D Was just getting ready to ask this when I scrolled down.  I don't recall Frank, did you buy your Lucas used?  If so, did the previous owner do a lot of slabbing?  (guessing yes, an inch of wear seems excessive)  My Lucas is used but the slabbing bar is still wrapped in packing tape. :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Seaman

The mill is ten years or so old, and most of it's use has been slabbing. No idea how many hours.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

Frank!!!! Holy Jeepers, slabber bar was an inch thinner!!!!

Mate, if I'd had any idea there was that much use, I'd have been suggesting a new bar too, but very pleased it got sorted for ya mate.
Always willing to help - Allan

logboy

Nice to hear Lucas got things sorted for you. I'm not sure if you or the previous owner did it, but you should periodically flip your bar over, just like a chainsaw. I do it every few saw jobs. I take the burr off that the bar gets after a while. You can feel it with your fingers when the chain is off. Some guys just use a regular file or a special grinding attachment. I use a special hand tool for filing the edges of my snowboards at exactly 90 degrees. Its quick, easy, and inexpensive.

I wonder if it would be possible to take it to a machine shop and have them grind the edge back to exactly 90°. At the price of a new one, it might be worth a shot so you at least have a backup in case the nose sprocket freezes.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

After further review, the old bar was not worn as far as I thought, just really unevenly.

Pics of bars

Drive hub end

Roller tip end

Uneven wear on edge

other edge

I think all the unevenness was setting up harmonic pulse or something, either that or the defidulator module was crosspulseing. Not sure. all I know is the new bar fixed the rise at end of cut and the ruffle finish.
It now cuts flat and with a bandsaw looking finish.
Frank is once again a happy dude!
Thanks all for your help and suggestions.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

logboy

Wow, you can actually see the burr on the edge of that bar.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Ianab

Worn down that much I bet the chain's drive links where actually running on the bottom of the groove instead of the bar rails. Once that happens the cutters just rock around like crazy, and no way it's going to cut properly.  You can do a bit of first aid on a bar and remove burs, even up the rails etc, IF you have some material to work with. But once it's that worn, time for a new one...

Of course the amount of wear is only obvious once you compare it to a new bar  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GDinMaine

It could not have been that bar it's the cross debumbilator effitaner causing undue disharmony.   ;D ;D ;D 

Great pictures there.  I guess some of the guys doing full time chainsaw work might see wear like that.  It seems it long overdue for a new bar. I find it interesting that it worked at all after that much material has been worn away.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

drobertson

seaman, for a ten year old bar to still have paint, thinking this is the original, not to shabby of a wear pattern in my opinion.   Flipping the bar is not a bad idea at all, in fact as close to mandatory as it gets. But all said, sometimes(most all of the time) new is Good!  Keep on slabbing, and it's great to hear of superior support from manufacturing reps.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ET

I'd be hanging that bar on the showroom wall for all to see. I bet that old bar made lots of money and lots of beautiful slabs that have been put to use in great projects.  Dont just scrap it.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Seaman

Logboy,
the burr is an optical illusion. The old bar is in good shape, cutting edges have been ground to 90 deg by a machine shop, and no twist. That is what puzzles me, it LOOKS fine, besides the irregular shape of the cutting edges. One of which is worn until the drive teeth touch the bottom of the groove. But there is no apparent reason why the other side should not cut true. Unless it is she curve of the cutting edge being worn uneven.

Ianab,
Yea, it looks bad AFTER you buy a new bar to compare it to. ::)

ET,
It goes in the museum of expensive parts that don't work anymore! :-\

Thanks, Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

I have no idea how people contact you,but at your home,garage,that bar and an old chain nailed up on a wall would look good to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

WHOLY Hannah!!! Frank, that is an amazing amount of wear, especially at the drive hub end! I bet you didn't realize the bar was that worn out :o

Great to hear the big difference it has made to your cutting mate, and even better to hear you guys might get to experience the kind of service we have been spoilt with down here ;) 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!